BRB robbing swiss bank to pay for public transport in NSW for my education (1 Viewer)

RazorICE

UNSW Engineering
HSC
Uni Grad
2. You'd likely be eligible for a student concession, so it's half the price.
3. Pretty much what Blue Suede and Oz said - get a part-time job. It's pretty much 1 hour's worth of pay. Maybe two hours if you're on minimum wage.
It's worth pointing this out to the people saying "get a job + concession fares":

Technically (though not in practice, mind you) you cannot buy concession/student tickets as a tertiary student if you are under any sort of employment.

The point I'm making is that points 2 and 3 in Aerath's post are technically mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's actually a valid point. I'm actually impressed.

master_mind1

HSC
Uni Grad
You realise that we're all pretty much part of the same generation, right? :p Blue Suede and I are maybe one-two years older than you guys; same with Oz.
yes i am aware, i just can't resist the jibe when you use terms like generational-sense-of-entitlement :p

This is to say nothing of the fact that:
1. Public transport is already heavily subsidised by the taxpayer. Just because an adult pays $5 one way from the west to the City, does't mean it costs that much for Cityrail. In fact, I reckon it costs Railcorp more like $20 for that same fare. So, essentially, heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.
Is that $20/person because that seems excessive with how many people actually get on each train, the fares would add up to quite a bit! I'm sure the start up cost for an operation like cityrail is quite large, but i'm sure we're getting to a point where we've paid most of it off and it's just the cost of each trip. I understand that with the introduction of new trains, etc there'd obviously need more funds.

No i know what you're saying, and i'm not really arguing that we shouldn't pay for transport, i think it's only fair we pay for the service. Sorry the comment about government subsidisation was meant as just a possible alternative to that poster's question.

MiPh

HSC
It's worth pointing this out to the people saying "get a job + concession fares":

Technically (though not in practice, mind you) you cannot buy concession/student tickets as a tertiary student if you are under any sort of employment.

The point I'm making is that points 2 and 3 in Aerath's post are technically mutually exclusive.
It is by and large the stupidest thing ever:
"If you're a student, get half price!
Oh but student's can't afford that unless they have a job.
And if they have a job, they can't get half price"

JayCakie

HSC
Oh la di da.

Your sentiments towards paying for public transport is rather perplexing to say the least. Whilst I can understand your view of not paying such a high rate for transportation and given that CityRail is always either doing track work, fixing broken down trains or stopping someone from hurting themselves from harm e.g. cases of when people try to commit suicide by jumping off the rail way and there are so may darn delays every week..... I believe the correct term is:

Just deal with it.

I know, I am in exactly the same situation as you and I also have to pay almost $30 a week for this, but public transport is essentially... public infrastructure. Whilst under the virtue of the capitalist system, governments can make some money from this, with the increasing rates of Sydney's population, greater demand has been placed on this public resource. As such, with the inefficiency of public management of resources of the government, it's always going to increase (I think at least), unless there is an appropriate mechanism that can overturn unnecessary fares e.g. inquiries or improvement of innovation in transportation.

Though, I wish trains were cheaper too. I use them so often because parking in the city is far too expensive and exhausting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)