Briar Rose...ANy Ideas... (1 Viewer)

frida

Hay everyone

i got an assignment for english regarding to the novel "Briar Rose". My task is to write my own fairy tale (besides sleeping beauty) in an "allegory" structure (just like briar rose). But i also have to write an "event" based by the allegory. Just like Gemma basing "sleeping beauty" to talk about the Holocaust.
But i have to relate it to themes of =

* The triump of the human spirit over adversity
* The importance of love and family
* The quest for meaning
* Facing the truth, growing and moving on
* The importance of identity

I could choose any theme.....

this is a tough one....any suggestions on any fairy tale which i could use? Or even how i could relate any event to any fairy tale....pls give me any suggestions. thanks !!

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
You can make up a story like "Hansel and Gretel"

I did a speech last year...and I had to relate it to the Holocaust.

frida

hay perfectionist, whats "Hensel and Gretel" i never heard of it before...

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
lol...It is a fairy tale book..

and it is "Hansel and Gretel"...u can go yo your local library and get it from there...

u can relate it to the Holocaust.

Nescient

HSC
N/A
i read briar rose over the holidays for english... i thought it was really friggen good.. but anyway...
i think the indentity one would be the easiest... like even cinderella cause she doesnt really have an identity... with her sisters treating her the way they do and not having any1 to help her find her self, etc... she doesnt have a life, she doesnt know any better than being in that house, she doesnt know who she is :/

anywayz... ur assingment sounded kinda interesting... good luck with it...

perfectionist

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Nescient
i read briar rose over the holidays for english... i thought it was really friggen good.. but anyway...
LOL...wait until u are done with the essay...u'd be sick of this book, "Briar Rose"... :)

i still remember how Gemma says: "It was all times and no times, but not the very best of times"

the same applies to the HSC :p

Originally posted by Nescient
i think the indentity one would be the easiest... like even cinderella cause she doesnt really have an identity... with her sisters treating her the way they do and not having any1 to help her find her self, etc... she doesnt have a life, she doesnt know any better than being in that house, she doesnt know who she is :/

Yeah u can also use Cinderella, i didn't use it because then it would be similar to Sleeping Beauty, I mean similar in terms of having a girl and a prince!

Last edited:

frida

....this was what i was thinking...

well i was thinking to use the fairy tale - "Little Red Riding Hood" because then i want to use the issue "rape" for when the wolf wants to eat that girl?? Get me??
What do you think....

i hate this english assignment, every girl in yr 12 is stressing their a** off, cause of this english assignment....

any ideas?? comments? =)

Winston

HSC
event wise... i think you could talk about Sept 11, as that inherits alot of the points you require. But fairy tale, it's just the way you can relate issues with your event to your actual fairy tale.

Nescient

HSC
N/A
we havent got our assessment for english yet :S i dunno when we're gonna get it... hopefully it aint like urs... i'll freak out... to much thinking...

good luck with that... ur idea sounds great!!!

frida

yeah some of the teachers suggested september 11. but then i think most people would be using it then. Then it really wouldnt be creative writting, because then everyone would be doing the same thing, just in different context....

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by frida
....this was what i was thinking...

well i was thinking to use the fairy tale - "Little Red Riding Hood" because then i want to use the issue "rape" for when the wolf wants to eat that girl?? Get me??
What do you think....

i hate this english assignment, every girl in yr 12 is stressing their a** off, cause of this english assignment....

any ideas?? comments? =)
yeah "Little Red Riding Hood" wud be cool! as the wolf cud be compared with the Nazi's and little red rdng hd as Gemma, escaping the Nazis! and the wood cutter the one to give the kiss of life as Aron/Josef Potocki :)

frida

no no......no one is gona use the Nazis coz then thats like sleeping beauty then....you get me

it has to be original...

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
no...it is original in the sense...that you are ''comparing''/presenting an analogy of the holocaust as Gemma did by using Slpng Beauty while u cud use Lttl Rd Rdng Hd! instead

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
wow guys, thats really creative with the whole little red riding hood thingy. how'd u guys come up with it?

Annum

HSC
Hey guys can someone please please please help me with this question for Briar Rose:
1. How does Yolen convey a sense of timelessness? Explain what is achieved by the novel having a circular ending? (chapter 33)

Much appreciated!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)