Brickies earn up to $6000 a week? WTF are we doing at uni? (1 Viewer)

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
Lol $6000 isn't even that much for being at the "top" of your profession.
That's management level for brickies and running your own business. That's like 300k a year which is pretty good to be honest but that's about the ceiling. You can make much more as a top end barrister or firm partner in law.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
That's management level for brickies and running your own business. That's like 300k a year which is pretty good to be honest but that's about the ceiling. You can make much more as a top end barrister or firm partner in law.
Precisely. I know some traders 3 years out of uni making half a million/year (very performance based). Obviously more stressful than bricklaying. Still insane income given barrier to entry is virtually 0. As others mentioned supply demand.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Feels like only yesterday when the media was focussed on other tradies (plumbers and electricians) on 100-200k. Admittedly the industry requires one to get qualified and reputable before they can consistently take home the premium but it's been done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D94

HSC
N/A
The nature of tenders and contracts means you need to be the best in the industry to even be considered. One might only consider three contractors for tender and it will be those three or so that get considered every time in large contracts. Don't think every bricklayer is earning 6k per week.

HSC
Uni Grad
The article did say up to 6K a week after all - realistically I'm betting that most brickies earn around 3K a week, and that's still a DAMN lot of money to be made.

That said I'd become a brickie for the purpose of making money in my first 10-20 years, and then move onto a more relaxing profession instead. Your body can only take so much before you become unable to do physical work.

turntaker

HSC
Makes me so mad. I'm just gonna move to the US. Australia is good for uneducated people not the educated

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Have fun paying upfront
He didn't put it well, but he's right (assuming he's not just talking about tradie jobs). Education here is good, but job prospects aren't that great. That being said, it's gonna be harder for an Australian to find a job in the US than finding a job in Australia.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
He didn't put it well, but he's right (assuming he's not just talking about tradie jobs). Education here is good, but job prospects aren't that great. That being said, it's gonna be harder for an Australian to find a job in the US than finding a job in Australia.
This. In the more popular cities, there is a lot of competition for the roles which are available. Salaries are also higher but from talking with guys when I used to work in NYC, a lot of that goes towards paying off student loans.

On another note, getting a working visa in the US was not a simple exercise. The petition took me a long time even with the help of lawyers filling everything in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)