Bridging courses (1 Viewer)

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
well i think in 2009 i'll have to do them for mathematics (2 unit) chem and physics.....are they actually any good who else has done them?

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
zomg i'm doing hsc now....and i do general maths ><" i picked general coz i know i can own it :D where as 2 unit i would struggle therefore screwing my uai

HSC
MysticalElement said:
zomg i'm doing hsc now....and i do general maths ><" i picked general coz i know i can own it :D where as 2 unit i would struggle therefore screwing my uai
i was told that getting a band 6 in general, is like getting a band 4 in 2unit

blakegman

HSC
N/A
o0o_chris_o0o said:
i was told that getting a band 6 in general, is like getting a band 4 in 2unit
sounds like a lie. i got band 6 in general, and people who got band 4 in 2unit were far better at maths then me

Anonymous1

HSC
回复: Bridging courses

Man, do you all your posts have to be fucken useless.

Don't listen to this guy. I got a UAI of 99.50 taking general maths, and have a couple of friends who got UAI's in the low 90's taking general maths, & not doing so well in Adv eng. If you think it'll help you get into the course you want to get into go for it. However, if you think you're comfortable getting into your desired course taking Mathematics, and your desired degree requires it as assumed knowledge that'd probably be a better idea. It would just make life easier for you when you start Uni - not doing fundamental subjects and catching up n all.

*So WOnderful*

HSC
Re: 回复: Bridging courses

Anonymous1 said:

Don't listen to this guy. I got a UAI of 99.50 taking general maths, and have a couple of friends who got UAI's in the low 90's taking general maths, & not doing so well in Adv eng. If you think it'll help you get into the course you want to get into go for it. However, if you think you're comfortable getting into your desired course taking Mathematics, and your desired degree requires it as assumed knowledge that'd probably be a better idea. It would just make life easier for you when you start Uni - not doing fundamental subjects and catching up n all.
Congrats on your UAI:D

But did your general maths mark count as part of your UAI?

Anonymous1

HSC

Yep, I only took 11 units, of which 1 was useless.
ext. his - didn't turn up to exam.

*So WOnderful*

HSC

I only asked because, it's one thing to just do the course, and then say "I got a UAI of 99+ and I did general maths" but your general maths mark didn't actually count towards your UAI. Congrats again.:)

Bridging courses are quite expensive and they seem pretty rushed, ie you have 5 days to gain a fundamental understanding of the what people have learnt over 2 years. However I haven't done a bridging course, so yeah.:eek:

Good luck.

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC

Anonymous1 said:

wow:D, congrats anonymous1!:) what subs did you do?/what course u doing/wanting to do?.

Edit: i also know a person who did well at the HSC with general maths. got 90 in general and got a uai of mid 98, so definately achievable, but he did really well for ancient/modern/extension so you have to make sure your other subjects are stronger no matter what they are. i think bridging courses are about 300 each, so yea pretty expensive, but id rather recommend you do them in the HSC, because u learn them at a slower pace, the teachers are more likely to help u understand the concepts more thoroughly rather than uni lecturers they only get you through the basics, the rest is all up to you. and 2u maths does seem to keep u afloat more than general maths, the hsc is all about working to your strengths not necessarily subjects that scale high.

Last edited:

Anonymous1

HSC

Yeah they are pretty expensive. At UTS they're free though if you're enroled with them, I think.

It'd probably be a good idea to read through a prelim textbok for that subject at least once before you start uni, to be bothered is another thing.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
loser101 said:
90 in 4u >90 in 3u > 90 in 2u > 90 in general maths

good luck with getting a UAI of more than 90 with general maths unless you ace advance english
What they fuck drugs are you on ? where do u come up with this shit ?

I got a uai of 96 doing general maths and only getting 83 in Adv.English.

plenty of people get 90's with general maths.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Yea but that doesn't mean you can't get a UAI of over 90 unless you ace advanced english, which is what you said.

Student Mum

HSC
Sorry, I know this is unrelated to your post about bridging courses, loser101, but the only thing going against your post is the picture you have of that party boy as your avatar. It is him in that photo, isn't it?

If you or any other people your age think there is anything funny or cool about what that spoilt little shit did, then it's a shame about the good education your parents are paying for. He's a complete non-entity, I've even forgotten his name. Even if he makes money for his penchant for illegal parties, he'll still carry the stigma of being a walking disaster.

As for bridging courses, they are known to be helpful, especially in Maths and Science subjects so more people should enrol in them to help them overcome any issues they have with these subjects.

MysticalElement

Troll Slayer
HSC
why does that loser101 even reply seriously just dumb answers thanks for everyone else who replied thanks for being sensible you really made me feel much better.....

thanks to all of ya and congratz on ya marks :)

loser101

HSC
geez how many of these post do you get

"i got all 80's in my HSC, but only got a UAI of 61? wtf is going on"

search that you will get about 1000 hits LOL

believe what u want, u do monkey subjects u get monkey marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)