Brief question about my future career (1 Viewer)

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
MEd is only available to graduates already with teaching qualifications (BEd, or another degree + DipEd or MTeach/BTeach) and isn't a teaching qualification in itself.
that's not what i was talking about though

i was referring to the 2 year Master of Teaching degrees which are replacing the 1 year dip eds

Kalashnikov47

HSC
Hey~~~lyounamu~~~ I bet anything you're an azn (Chinese)~~~ I made this guess becuz you're a BOS forum nerd, loves maths and your parents think paying your entire uni fee (presumably you are eligible for HECS loan) is their responsibility.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Yes indeed, the education degree is total crap, and you want to finish it in the minimum time possible. It does not in any way enhance your ability to teach, which you will have to learn on the job.

Atm, you can do a BSc/BEd at UNSW which takes 4 years for a pass degree and 5 if you decide to do honours in Maths. Btw, the BEd is piss-easy, so if you can write a decent 2000 word essay, you should have no trouble with the course. (Staving off complete boredom may be another question.)

ascentyx

HSC
Thank you so much for the information. I understand now.

Well, I guess I will still go for distance education course since I might be able to work as an actuary and getting that degree at the same time. :eek:
You understand that you need to complete 5 parts to become a fully qualified actuary (a fellow). This means that say even after completing a double degree with actuarial at macquarie you still need to complete part III, a professionalism course and get work experience etc. When you first start working as an actuary you normally complete part III + all those other sections part time as you work full time. Doing a distance education degree at the same time as doing all that stuff is probably too much. Unless you wait until you are a fellow (done everything) and then do the distance ed course. Still thats so much studying.

I think your better to either choose to be a teacher or choose to be an actuary. Unless you want to tutor actuaries lol. By the way with your kind of marks UNSW might be better suited for actuarial since there is a wider range of scholarships amirite?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
You understand that you need to complete 5 parts to become a fully qualified actuary (a fellow). This means that say even after completing a double degree with actuarial at macquarie you still need to complete part III, a professionalism course and get work experience etc. When you first start working as an actuary you normally complete part III + all those other sections part time as you work full time. Doing a distance education degree at the same time as doing all that stuff is probably too much. Unless you wait until you are a fellow (done everything) and then do the distance ed course. Still thats so much studying.

I think your better to either choose to be a teacher or choose to be an actuary. Unless you want to tutor actuaries lol. By the way with your kind of marks UNSW might be better suited for actuarial since there is a wider range of scholarships amirite?
Oh thanks for your time. I really appreciate it.

But as I said, teaching is one of my passion but I am not really willing to make it as my full-time job. I wish to start off as an actuary (i.e. completing all the requirements and doing job as an actuary) and then when I probably get bored of it, I might briefly go back to teaching.

So yeah, I am not too sure but that would be my dream. :D

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
MEd is only available to graduates already with teaching qualifications (BEd, or another degree + DipEd or MTeach/BTeach)
Nope, any next-gen degrees at melb Uni, none of which need to be involved with teaching, can lead on to a master of Education/Teaching.

blerkles

HSC
N/A
But as I said, teaching is one of my passion but I am not really willing to make it as my full-time job.
Thought about casual TAFE teaching? $63/hr, no teaching degree required, put up with students who actually want to learn...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thought about casual TAFE teaching? $63/hr, no teaching degree required, put up with students who actually want to learn...
What?

So you just get a job without any teaching qualification?

blerkles

HSC
N/A
Certificate IV in Training and Assessment:
Can be completed within a week or two + only trains you to be a trainer (yes, and an assessor).... not an educator. You have lots of knowledge, the students have little or no knowledge, you impart knowledge and tick a box to deem them competent. Very different philosophy than in a B Ed.

There was a big stink a little while back that the minimum teaching quals weren't upgraded to a B Adult & Vocational Education or at least a diploma. I guess the mandatory industry experience gives you a lot more insight as to whether a student would be competent out there in the real world. It's a pity so many school teachers go straight from school --> uni ---> school without experiencing the commercial world but hey school is more than getting people job ready...

HSC
$63 to teach high school dropouts, dole bludgers and old people?

no thanks
Nice profiling, yet so crudely done you could almost fool others into believing you know nothing of what you are talking about...

A job that I could work possibly 8hrs for 3days a week and earn close to 80k would be excellent, that isn't very common at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)