Bright Eyes coming! (1 Viewer)

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
mcdickpants 2.5 said:
he was a wife beater you know
billy crudup is a self-obsessed wanker, cecil b demille was insane, john lennon was pretentious as allgetout. michael jackson is a pedophile. doesn't stop me appreciating their art.

welshi

HSC
btw bright eyes fans and yes mcdickpants i know you are not one of those, it's actually conor's birthday today. he wrote a song about it once ("Feb 15th", from "A collection of songs written..."). i think he turns 24. so there's my birthday present, conor dear, i bought tickets to your gig. bet he doesn't write me a thankyou note.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
NOOOOO!

John Lennon might have been a confused heroin addict who had a lot of personal issues but he was not pretentious. You must know that when it comes to John Lennon, reason goes out the door. I am so in love with him and the Beatles that hearing any wrong would crush me as a person :p

Either way, I try not to let the personalities of my favourite musicians get in the way of me liking their music. Hell, nearly everyone in the entertainment industry is an asshole.

Last edited:

welshi

HSC
Grobus said:
NOOOOO!

John Lennon might have been a confused heroin addict who had a lot of personal issues but he was not pretentious. You must know that when it comes to John Lennon, reason goes out the door. I am so in love with him and the Beatles that hearing any wrong would crush me as a person :p

Either way, I try not to let the personalities of my favourite musicians get in the way of me liking their music. Hell, nearly everyone in the entertainment industry is an asshole.
exactly my point.

he was pretentious. i blame yoko though, it wasn't his natural state. i adore the beatles too. my fave is george and even i admit that he got a little OTT with all the indian stuff. but john comes a close second. jealous guy is amazing.

disturbing pic by the way.

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
John Lennon was born into a poor family.

I dont blame Yoko Ono for anything really - there seems to be this image of the Beatles that they were all the nicest people ever and got along fabulously until Yoko, but the group had its tensions developing way before Yoko came on the scene.

Im sure that John got a lot of happiness out of her too.

My favourite Beatle is George Harrison though - quiet, meditative, introspective and relaxed, he seems like the Beatle who is most like me. I love the lyrics to the songs he wrote aswell - I think they dont have the wit or accomplishment of those of McCartney and Lennon, but I think they come from a much deeper place. Within You, Without You is amazing and one of my favourite Beatles song, even if it goes overboard with the sitars.

EDIT: I think if you want to blame anything for John Lennon, it should be his reckless drug abuse before anything. Songs like Strawberry Fields might have made it seem like he was having a great time, but it was really breaking him apart as a person and it got worse once he got on heroin.

Last edited:

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
Im kind of inclined to agree with you on both actually. Ringo Starr too.

They were always best together, though out of the solo careers I think John Lennons was best, then Paul.

welshi

HSC
Grobus said:
Im kind of inclined to agree with you on both actually. Ringo Starr too.

They were always best together, though out of the solo careers I think John Lennons was best, then Paul.
no, i'd go john then george. "all things must pass" trumps anything paul ever did with wings.

did u watch concert for george?

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
I did, but Im pretty picky about covers so I didnt enjoy as much as other people seem to.

welshi

HSC
Grobus said:
John Lennon was born into a poor family.

I dont blame Yoko Ono for anything really - there seems to be this image of the Beatles that they were all the nicest people ever and got along fabulously until Yoko, but the group had its tensions developing way before Yoko came on the scene.

Im sure that John got a lot of happiness out of her too.

My favourite Beatle is George Harrison though - quiet, meditative, introspective and relaxed, he seems like the Beatle who is most like me. I love the lyrics to the songs he wrote aswell - I think they dont have the wit or accomplishment of those of McCartney and Lennon, but I think they come from a much deeper place. Within You, Without You is amazing and one of my favourite Beatles song, even if it goes overboard with the sitars.

EDIT: I think if you want to blame anything for John Lennon, it should be his reckless drug abuse before anything. Songs like Strawberry Fields might have made it seem like he was having a great time, but it was really breaking him apart as a person and it got worse once he got on heroin.
yeah i totally agree with you there. penny lane, when you listen to it, is incredibly cynical. and something like sun king screams "fuck you, i can't be bothering writing a real song". paul once said it was the biggest load of crap they'd ever done.

and i will always love george. i read I Me Mine at work last month and i love him to bits. here comes the sun is my favourite song of all time. he had a habit of never forcing songs, he would just get an idea and write around it. they feel so much more natural.

welshi

HSC
Grobus said:
I did, but Im pretty picky about covers so I didnt enjoy as much as other people seem to.
i just loved watching dhani. the resemblance to george is eerie.

plus the monty python shit was hilarious. part of why i love george: sit on my face is a work of genius.

Grobus

Laughing Boy
HSC
welshi said:
yeah i totally agree with you there. penny lane, when you listen to it, is incredibly cynical. and something like sun king screams "fuck you, i can't be bothering writing a real song". paul once said it was the biggest load of crap they'd ever done.

and i will always love george. i read I Me Mine at work last month and i love him to bits. here comes the sun is my favourite song of all time. he had a habit of never forcing songs, he would just get an idea and write around it. they feel so much more natural.
I always take what the Beatles say about their music with a bit of skepticism. I think that most of the Bealtes music had an underbelly to it that was usually dark or at least not what it seemed. I think they kind of took the attitude of "well, if you dont find it yourself, Im not going to explain it to you".

For example, I think it was Paul but it could have been John who said "And Your Bird Can Sing" was written after they decided to "write a pool", but there has to be more to it than that. It cant just be garbled nonsense.

But I agree with you about songs like Sun King. "Good Day Sunshine" is actually about a certain kind of acid called Orange Sunshine. I think most of the Mean Mr Mustard medly is about taking heroin. I know I sound like one of those obsessive types wholl scan all music for hidden meanings, but I honestly believe it in the Beatles stuff all the same.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)