Bring back the draft, cries Young ALP (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with Young Labour that conscription should be brought in ?

• Conscription is good

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Conscription is a stupid idea and young labour's idea is VOMIT !

Votes: 42 79.2%

• Total voters

The Nick

McBain
HSC
THEY'RE NOT ADVOCATING MILITARY CONSCRIPTION.

Military service would be one option. The vast majority of people would do some form of community service, like cleaning parks or feeding the homeless or something.

Still a bad idea though.

King2

HSC
The question is really based on whether you want to put your personal needs first or your communitys. I do not think the Labor party realise that most of the Australian youth do not want to take part of any type of conscription because of the hectic lives students have to endure during their teenage years. Personally, I think it is a bad idea because of this and they may gain more votes by making the prospect of conscripting babies.
Another way Labor is losing votes *sigh*

The Nick

McBain
HSC
fundamentally said:
I am a ALP voter and all my family vote for the ALP.
But if this madness becomes official policy, I'd rather vote for the f$cking Nationals or Pauline Insane Hanson....

What a bunch of wanking losers Young Labor are !
The only thing Young Labor has gotten to become official policy is getting Triple J onto the FM frequency band

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Fuck I hate the way good ideas are transformed into something completely different by the media. Most notably the idea of storing radioactive material underground in Australia being hyped into "turning Australia into the world's dump" or some shit. Like with all the imagery of the green glowing stuff because people know fuck all about what radioactive material is. Anyway,

This is the same thing. Clearly no one in Young Labor said anything about the military. Fucking hell. It'd do us some good, particuarly all you kids with the fucking rich parents who take everything for granted. And the ones who are going to uni (paid by said parents) to study combined Law/Medicine and graduate and earn 200k from their first day of work.

Also, it has nothing to do with the army, but the army could run the thing. I mean, like, if some smartarse kid (you know the type who light bushfires, speed, vandalise shit, and get slaps on the wrist because the police are made to be pussies by the law and because they're 17 and 11 months) tries to loot the nursing home he's working in, some big burly army guy could beat the shit out of him. This keeps sounding better and better.

With luck this scheme as proposed by young labor could get some discipline/sense of values into the fuckwits that make up this country's youth, thus ironically fulfilling Howard's idea of getting us back to how we were in the 1950's.

It's worthwile for the irony alone.

X

xeuyrawp

The Nick said:
THEY'RE NOT ADVOCATING MILITARY CONSCRIPTION.

Military service would be one option. The vast majority of people would do some form of community service, like cleaning parks or feeding the homeless or something.

Still a bad idea though.
Um. What?

National Service is military conscription. For a year....

X

xeuyrawp

The Nick said:
As opposed to the slimey, greedy, self-centred, pathetic daddy's-boys excuses for human beings that constitutes the Young Libs?

What the fuck? You are such a hypocrite. Seriously. I'm going to use that sentence to destroy you in the next election you enter.

X

xeuyrawp

TerrbleSpellor said:
no; why do you think the salvos are backing it. It isn't military, its forcing people to do work here at home.
Sorry, can I admit this late that I haven't fully read Labor's statement...?

From my understanding, they want to conduct National Service for a year's period; like many European and east-Asian countries do.

Remember that, even though a soldier may go overseas in the term, s/he would most likely not be fighting. Not only have we got a huge excess of troops, but we have a huge turnout of Reservists. Not only that; you can't be properly trained in under a year.

The salvos are backing it because it has huge social advantages; just like joining the Reserves is. I would classify Nationa Service as 'military', too, since you get military training. Since a soldier is trained and outfitted by the government's military branch, it is a militant force. There's nothing else to classify it as... Not to mention the possible (though, like I said above, unlikely) event that they can be called to fight as part of a military corpse.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Community service. But nation wide. So... national, community service. Not as a soldier. Sif give any Australian youths guns. Without ranting about the evil of gun control, I'll just say most of us wouldn't know what to do with one.

X

xeuyrawp

Captain Gh3y said:
Community service. But nation wide. So... national, community service. Not as a soldier. Sif give any Australian youths guns. Without ranting about the evil of gun control, I'll just say most of us wouldn't know what to do with one.
Military training doesn't just consist of giving someone a gun.

If you didn't notice, a LOT of soldiers do community service as part of compulsary training. My point is that they are trained, placed in a military company/posting, and are part of a reservist military force.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
"It does not mean you would have to do military service or be an army cadet," he said to the Sydney Morning Herald. "The community service could take many forms, from being an army cadet to helping with chores at the local retirement village. It could be helping community groups or churches or charities."

X

xeuyrawp

TerrbleSpellor said:
oh, so because they are rich people living in comfortable life styles, you hold this agains them? Oh ok then...... You have to be a stinky lower class person, with no loving connection with your parents to be involved in politics in Australia. ONLY REAL MEN! YEHHHH!
Just to clarify, The Nick is a jackass.

malkin86

HSC
I don't think that it would be such a bad idea, to do some form of community service as part of one's education. I hear that in South Australia, the Queen's Scout Award is given the same weight as a normal subject in their HSC. A lot of private schools in NSW, too, offer the senior students the D of E. (don't know what level, though...) I gather that it's less highly regarded than the Queen's Scout/Guide Awards, though.

A lot would depend on how the 'volunteering' would be introduced, though, and how much you're expected to do (and what, and when... it'd be more interesting if you could find something that you enjoy, or would be interested in doing as a career). Most year 10s take a week of work experience, how would this be too much different?

It would have to be strictly regulated as to who could use the potential pool of high school 'volunteers' - bosses could use this to their advantage to get free hours out of their employees, for example.

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
If it means that WE have to attack on foreign soil then HELL NO!
But if it means to defend our territory then anyone physically & mentally capable should head over and fight.

I believe it would become compulsory when on any case we're being attacked on our soil (by a significantly large enemy force).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The Nick said:
As opposed to the slimey, greedy, self-centred, pathetic daddy's-boys excuses for human beings that constitutes the Young Libs?
What's wrong with being self centred? If I don't look out for myself who will? Oh and fyi I'm far from a rich daddy's boy, and find such implications insulting.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
To be honest, I think that military service is a better idea than community service (though I don't advocate either). Community service in particular is stupid because:

1. It'll force under 25's into meaningless unpaid or poorly paid work for at least a year. If the state did implement such a scheme, it'd also have to support anyone undertaking it - since people would effectively be forced to work two jobs at once to support themselves. It'd also eliminate opportunities for both young and old to find work in poorly paid occupations - because under 25s will be forced to do it all for free!

2. Our parents left us a legacy of debt. Housing prices, particularly in Sydney are sky-rocketing. We'll be the most taxed generation of Australians ever, as we're forced to look after retiring boomers. As tax payers, our service to the community is shelling out our wages to the elderly, to the unemployed and to the government.

3. What are the goals of compulsary community service? What will it achieve? I think that as opposed to instilling "values" and "morals" in "selfish" under 25s (this is of course, assuming that we have none, personally I think that a generation that will leech off the youth i.e.: the babyboomers are infinitely more selfish that us) it'll just delay people from getting into the work force and going to university.

While I still don't like the idea of military service, at least it'd achieve goals a little more tangible than "creating a sense of community spirit amongst young people". It'd create a pool of young men and women who could be called to defend the country in the event of an attack against us, a year of physical training would also increase fitness and health levels amongst young people - which is also cool.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Some forms of community service can be good but forcing everyone to do it is bullshit.

The Nick

McBain
HSC
Oh ffs

Military service would be an option for those who wanted to do it. One. Of many. Most people will probably do local community service like meals on wheels or work for St Vinnies or something.

There will be very few people in the military. If it was ever put into policy, the military part would likely be dropped to avoid controversy.

There's no draft, nobody is going to be fighting, or get invaded, or whatever.

X

xeuyrawp

The Nick said:
Oh ffs

Military service would be an option for those who wanted to do it. One. Of many. Most people will probably do local community service like meals on wheels or work for St Vinnies or something.

There will be very few people in the military. If it was ever put into policy, the military part would likely be dropped to avoid controversy.

There's no draft, nobody is going to be fighting, or get invaded, or whatever.
Whilst helping the community through charity stuff would directly help the community, I think military service would have a better long-term result.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
Well da link doesnt work now :rolleyes:
Ah, yes, it does, and there is no need to roll your eyes. Try clicking on the actual link that calculon posted rather than the corrupted line of text that is contained within your post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)