Brit woman wakes up with Chinese Accent (1 Viewer)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
A British woman has woken up speaking with a Chinese accent after reportedly suffering brain damage brought on by a severe migraine.
Sarah Colwill, 35, has carried an English West Country accent her entire life but now sounds like she hails from the far east, British newspapers report.
Doctors have reportedly told Ms Colwill she suffers from Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS), an extremely rare condition with only a few recorded cases.
Ms Colwill believes her sudden accent shift can be traced back to one migraine attack that was so bad she had to be taken to hospital.
She said the changes in her speech were first noticed by the emergency services call operator.
"It was funny at first but to think I'm stuck with this gets me down — my voice has begun to annoy me," she told The Mirror newspaper.
"I'm having speech therapy but don’t know if the Chinese accent will ever go away."
Ms Colwill, who has never been to China, said she was frustrated that many people often believed she was faking the accent.
The first recorded case of FAS was in 1941 when a Norwegian woman was struck by a piece of shrapnel and began talking with a German accent.
There are believed to be less than 20 people worldwide suffering from the condition.

British woman wakes up with foreign accent

---------

my sympathies go out to her and her family

HSC
Uni Grad
She doesn't really sound Chinese... it just sounds like she has a blocked nose...

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
She doesn't really sound Chinese... it just sounds like she has a blocked nose...
perhaps chinese people do sound like blocked noses..

Anyway, her last line sounded pretty Asian
"some people have it forever..nobody knows"

other than that, i sort of agree.. but she sounds like a Brit-Asian more than anything.
I wouldn't mind waking up with a British accent though.. lol

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
there was a girl who was in a coma or something she's like russian or whatever
and she woke up knowing how to speak german. so i heard..

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Who's the girl in yo sig

she's mega hawt
It's Cheryl Cole... Ashley Cole's ex
--
there was a girl who was in a coma or something she's like russian or whatever
and she woke up knowing how to speak german. so i heard..
Yer before she couldn't speak fluent German.. learnt some of it in school and then.. *poof*, she speaks German now..

wierd what brain damage does :spin:

zstar

HSC
N/A
There's no such things as a Chinese accent.

Northerners and Southerners have different pronunciation and Singaporeans and Malay Chinese have SE Asian accents and their own style of talking.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
there's no such thing as a british accent either but people always attribute them to people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)