British elections (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
Rare night of love, loons and raving monsters
By Annabel Crabb in London
May 7, 2005

The Sun called it "A Kick in the Ballots". And indeed, the glimpses of Tony Blair, snatched during the long night of Election 2005, appeared to confirm he was a man suffering from a sharp blow to a tender electoral region.

British polling booths don't close until 10pm and the incumbent spends the hours between midnight and dawn zipping around the country by helicopter before confronting inebriated campaign workers for celebration or commiseration as dawn breaks.

Late-night television had its first good look at Tony Blair just before 3am, when he surfaced to claim victory in his own constituency, Sedgefield.

Mr Blair looked uncomfortable as Reg Keys, the angry father of a British soldier killed in Iraq, collected more than 4000 votes and declared that he and his family were still awaiting an apology from the Prime Minister.

Cherie Blair looked uncomfortable as the Pensioners Party candidate, the hastily renamed Cherri Blairout-Gilham, collected 82 votes.

Both looked underwhelmed by the joy of the Monster Raving Loony Party candidate who arrived dressed as a cow and appeared well pleased with her modest haul of 157.

A pallid Mr Blair promised to respond "sensibly and wisely" to the backlash being meted out to him across the country, but he was periodically drowned out by energetic heckling.

Then he boarded his aircraft for London, heading for an audience with campaign workers at the National Portrait Gallery and the first taste of unadulterated praise in a month of campaigning. For the first time, the thrice-elected Prime Minister allowed himself an unguarded smile as at 6.20am he rose before his acolytes.

"No, I love you," he insisted politely in response to the shouted protestation of one tired and emotional campaign worker.

Perhaps it was the palpable love in the air that drew Mr Blair into a rare moment of hubris.

"We've got so many young people around now, and maybe you won't remember, but we were in opposition once," he grinned.

Some of Mr Blair's colleagues in constituencies across London, where the average swing against Labour was more than 5 per cent, were having rather less trouble remembering the long, dark years of opposition - a goodly number lost their seats and will not be part of Labour's third term.

Finally, Mr Blair headed home to Downing Street, to meet his ambitious neighbour and putative successor, the Chancellor of the Exchequer, Gordon Brown.

The superstitious Mr Blair had made few formal plans for his post-election cabinet shuffle or policy announcements, lest he jinx his campaign.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have to love the way they announce British election results, I wish they would do the same here rather than gradually release results from each booth. They should stand every candidate up and annouce the result officially to the constituency.

I particulary enjoyed watching George Galloway's victory speech, you can view it on the BBC news site.

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Is any1 else freaked out by the fact that Micheal Howard and John Howard look so similar and they have the same last name??? maybe they are the same person????? *scary*

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
ohne said:
You have to love the way they announce British election results, I wish they would do the same here rather than gradually release results from each booth. They should stand every candidate up and annouce the result officially to the constituency.

I particulary enjoyed watching George Galloway's victory speech, you can view it on the BBC news site.
Hands down on the lecturn, stern eyes and damning condemnation, what a brilliant politician.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Sweets said:
Is any1 else freaked out by the fact that Micheal Howard and John Howard look so similar and they have the same last name??? maybe they are the same person????? *scary*
Your right

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
Someone who campaigns on policies of overt immigration restriction (read racecard) shouldn't ever win.

It has to be kept in mind that Britain has lost many many many more men and women than Australia. As such the War has a greater impact.

If Australia was loosing soldiers by the day it....
I'm not sure if Michael Howard actually believes in this personally, but he had very little else to campaign on. Tony Blair has moved the British Labour Party so far to the right that the Conservatives have very little room to manoever. Blair has taken Britain into more wars than Margaret Thatcher and has pursued privitisation and other right wing policies more vigorously. It should be noted that Tony Blair is now essentially pusuing the same immigration policies that Howard would have if he won the election.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
ohne said:
Blair has taken Britain into more wars than Margaret Thatcher and has pursued privitisation and other right wing policies more vigorously. It should be noted that Tony Blair is now essentially pusuing the same immigration policies that Howard would have if he won the election.
Lets not go crazy.
He's a fraud, but so are all us Scots. Arrrrg laddy.

ohne

HSC
Shouldn't you be calling yourself "Iron Lady"?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
ohne said:
I'm not sure if Michael Howard actually believes in this personally, but he had very little else to campaign on. Tony Blair has moved the British Labour Party so far to the right that the Conservatives have very little room to manoever. Blair has taken Britain into more wars than Margaret Thatcher and has pursued privitisation and other right wing policies more vigorously. It should be noted that Tony Blair is now essentially pusuing the same immigration policies that Howard would have if he won the election.
True, I would say this accounts for the surge in the democratic liberals...

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
'Woman' rather than 'lady' is my attempt to be true to fact. Her 'lady' status was a sexy disguise for her inner, equally sexy beast.
But Britain needs to change the first-past-the-post system. I think Blair only had around 36% of the vote, and the fact that they look like heading towards a 3 party system will only decrease the mandates of future governments.

Although I would like to see the Monster Raving Loony Party win goverment one day with 150 votes.

ohne

HSC
The Monster Raving Loony party actually won a council by-election somewhere in the southwest of England once. I think the winning candidate defected to the Conservtives though and things were allowed to continue as normal!

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Right wing merely means conservative =/ (from my understanding, however you have libertarians who are social liberals and economic conservatives)
You can't go back and forth in time like that when discussing the left and the right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)