Broken XPS laptop (1 Viewer)

aussie-boy

HSC
So my XPS has died... wont boot (though the HDD whirs away and I can do LCD diagnostic test but without backlighting)

No indicators illuminated except for the power one

My guess is that the motherboard/gpu has been fried... a new one costs US$240+postage and I cant find any Australian suppliers

The computer shop wants $90 for a "diagnostic" test before they will consider repair... Im guessing that that could quickly amount to $500+ for a fix

Its only 3yrs old, Core 2 Duo, Win 7 Pro, 4GB ram - I really don't wanna chuck it out and upgrade (Id get a $1k desktop, already have a monitor etc) but do I have a choice?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
So my XPS has died... wont boot (though the HDD whirs away and I can do LCD diagnostic test but without backlighting)

No indicators illuminated except for the power one

My guess is that the motherboard/gpu has been fried... a new one costs US$240+postage and I cant find any Australian suppliers

The computer shop wants $90 for a "diagnostic" test before they will consider repair... Im guessing that that could quickly amount to $500+ for a fix

Its only 3yrs old, Core 2 Duo, Win 7 Pro, 4GB ram - I really don't wanna chuck it out and upgrade (Id get a $1k desktop, already have a monitor etc) but do I have a choice?
Took my local laptop store ~ 8weeks to fix my laptop, they didnt fix it and ended up refunding my money+ giving me extras.

Give me the model name and ill do some searching.

$1K will get you a hectic PC.

aussie-boy

HSC
Took my local laptop store ~ 8weeks to fix my laptop, they didnt fix it and ended up refunding my money+ giving me extras.

Give me the model name and ill do some searching.

$1K will get you a hectic PC.
Thanks, thatd be good...
Its a Dell XPS M1530

I know, but thats $1k that could go straight into super next week (and suddenly become $2.5k)

I guess the basis of my question is whether there could be a fix that won't involve a motherboard replacement (and do shops even have the capability to rewire/re-solder etc) - my experience of computer shops is that they dont repair shit, just replace it

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Its impossible to repair hardware.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Do you have access to a live CD and see if you can boot off it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)