Bromine water test (1 Viewer)

hg83ry

HSC
Hey does anyone have an decent information on the bromine water experiment? Much appricated if you could help:guitar:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Well if you used the Search function you could find some good results.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...reaction-bromine-water.html?highlight=bromine
http://community.boredofstudies.org/17/chemistry/128274/how-i-do.html?highlight=bromine
http://community.boredofstudies.org...anes-alkenes-equations.html?highlight=bromine

So ...

The double bond is a functional group of alkenes, this is called an addition reaction that allows Bromine atoms to freely join the alkene by splitting a bond.

If this was given to me as an actual Chem assignment, I would no doubt do it with better quality than I am doing now.

For more info ...

http://community.boredofstudies.org...cohexane-bromine-water.html?highlight=bromine

hg83ry

HSC
yeah sames.... annoying teachers must think alike

yeah i know all that i was after some results so... i guess i will check the links

i have been doing partice question for my trails and yeah... bromine water test keeps coming up

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
hg83ry said:
yeah sames.... annoying teachers must think alike

yeah i know all that i was after some results so... i guess i will check the links

i have been doing partice question for my trails and yeah... bromine water test keeps coming up
thanks ill get back to bromine water, knowledge decays in my minds relatively easily.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thanks f3nr15 for the answer....

however, there's one thing which i must dispute regarding the addition of bromine (yes i sound like a bored bitch again)

please note this is probably not necessary to be known for hsc purposes... just for completeness purposes.

it is to my knowledge that the double bond breaks and one bromine and one OH is added to the double bond, HBr is the other biproduct which is formed.

ps, cool DP. i'm a fan of GSD as well, though i really dislike Auel =(.

hg83ry

HSC
hmmm lol yeah i really need the material... every text book i turn to doesn't have it and the answer i have for a hsc questiuon referces to hycolhexane and cycholhexene or however there spelt....

and i have to concer ever past hsc paper i have done has had refernce to the test so....

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
xiao1985 said:
thanks f3nr15 for the answer....

however, there's one thing which i must dispute regarding the addition of bromine (yes i sound like a bored bitch again)

please note this is probably not necessary to be known for hsc purposes... just for completeness purposes.

it is to my knowledge that the double bond breaks and one bromine and one OH is added to the double bond, HBr is the other biproduct which is formed.

ps, cool DP. i'm a fan of GSD as well, though i really dislike Auel =(.
I can't be bothered remembering the equations behind it but I know there's a substitution and addition reaction going on ... did I forget to mention substitution is stimulated via UV light ?

Regarding GSD ... Auel can be a prick I know, but he's awesome at times ...

hg83ry said:
hmmm lol yeah i really need the material... every text book i turn to doesn't have it and the answer i have for a hsc questiuon referces to hycolhexane and cycholhexene or however there spelt....

and i have to concer ever past hsc paper i have done has had refernce to the test so....
when yuo are in doubt just look at the syllabus ... dont write essays for Chemistry coz theyre aint ... and if teh teacher teaches/taught yuo oxidation numbers, say miss or mr if man, tahts outta teh syllabus k ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)