• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BSc(Advanced) Cutoff (1 Viewer)

garry007

HSC
N/A
Hi guyz...do u think the cutoff for this year will increase(im thinking it probably will)? Also, wat do u think the cut-off with EAS will be?? Thanks....

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
well the uni guy thinks ill be safe with 97 but dont know if he is right (he thought the cut off may go down). he said there are more science places and more demand but its hard to say whether the demand is from ver top people or people around 95 or 96.

garry007

HSC
N/A
ic...and would you say there is a greater demand for medical science or a greater demand for bsc(advanced) as a pathway to graduate med?

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
id say med sci definately. i was told (and i thought) it was a total misconception that you needed to do med sci. adv sci is a better rounded way of preparing for med and its fall backs are better.

i want to do grad med and med sci can e shaped into med sci like degree if you want but you arent locked into anything

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I don't get what the big deal is with studying a BSc(adv), you can just do a BSc, study all your subjects at the advanced level and get whatever average you would need to stay in adv and then at the end they award you a BSc(adv) anyway.

tennille

HSC
I just missed out on bloody advance science at USYD. Got a UAI of 95.30. The UAI cut- off will most likely increase. Probably end up doing it at UNSW.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
yeh like I said before
Many people get into med sci and adv sci with uai's under the cut-off
97 will get you into adv science for sure.

thaoroxy2001

Bored member
HSC
withoutaface said:
I don't get what the big deal is with studying a BSc(adv), you can just do a BSc, study all your subjects at the advanced level and get whatever average you would need to stay in adv and then at the end they award you a BSc(adv) anyway.
'advanced' just sounds better I guess.....

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
thaoroxy2001 said:
'advanced' just sounds better I guess.....
-_- essetnailly there are NO difference...

in fact there ARE no difference, aprt form the extra 04 they print on ur student card...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
haha. advanced science just got frisbee'd.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
ah rats
hehee
better go tell all those people who chose Adv Sci instead of Med sci to go back to their original choice
:p

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
i think htey made the adv course coz none of the smart people would do science at all if they only had B.Science.
Prob all be commerce students heh

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i just like the idea of adv sci cause it is flexible and will keep me on my toes a bit. but yeah it is just a BSc. i can make it like a medsc any way so..............

tennille

HSC
Advance science allows you to do more subjects than the normal BSc.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Tennille said:
Advance science allows you to do more subjects than the normal BSc.
i doubt it... subjects open to adv sci is open to sci students...

zeropoint

HSC
xiao1985 said:
i doubt it... subjects open to adv sci is open to sci students...
Hey, Xiao. You're class of 2003 right? What course are you studying again? Anyhoo, don't the adv sci courses have certain mimimum requirements, eg a band 6 in the relevant HSC science course. Speaking of which, anyone doing the TSP in physics for 2005? I didn't meet the criteria for entrance (UAI > 99) but I might call usyd tomorrow and ask anyway.

Ciao!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
zeropoint said:
Hey, Xiao. You're class of 2003 right? What course are you studying again? Anyhoo, don't the adv sci courses have certain mimimum requirements, eg a band 6 in the relevant HSC science course. Speaking of which, anyone doing the TSP in physics for 2005? I didn't meet the criteria for entrance (UAI > 99) but I might call usyd tomorrow and ask anyway.

Ciao!
i don't remember the criteria but getting into adv courses wasnt hard for some.
My friend got 93.15 UAI and he managed to enrol into adv sci and did all the adv subjects
I think 95UAi+ band 5 plus in all subjects could get you into the adv subjects (for adv sci that is)

also for TSP physics
i know someone else that got uai 96 with a mark of 93 for physics and he got special permission to do tsp
if you got over 90 in physics then you'll be able to do tsp. Or if you got over uai 98

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Bob.J said:
i don't remember the criteria but getting into adv courses wasnt hard for some.
My friend got 93.15 UAI and he managed to enrol into adv sci and did all the adv subjects
I think 95UAi+ band 5 plus in all subjects could get you into the adv subjects (for adv sci that is)

also for TSP physics
i know someone else that got uai 96 with a mark of 93 for physics and he got special permission to do tsp
if you got over 90 in physics then you'll be able to do tsp. Or if you got over uai 98
Are you sure?:eek:

If that's true I guess it's worth firing off an email about TSP Maths >: )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)