BSc /BA (1 Viewer)

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Is there any benefit/point in taking this? other than being able to do two degrees together in a shorter time.
I'm generally interested in both of these areas(science + humanities) but it's pretty obvious that this degree is really broad.
So if hypothetically i were to take this, what would my options be? where could i go on with it? any advice from science or arts students would be great :)

But yeah, just exploring my options/wondering about my possible options, i'm more inclined towards the health science area but i'm pretty interested in humanities too.

HSC
N/A
Depends on the uni..but
Dont do a double degree, just do a BSc and pick subjects from the art faculty that interest you

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Depends on the uni..but
Dont do a double degree, just do a BSc and pick subjects from the art faculty that interest you
I was specifcially looking at Usyd, i saw UNSW had a the same course except the science side had maths + chem as assumed knowledge(which i don't do).
Wow I never knew you could do that, i always thought you had to pick subjects relevant to your degree.
I guess i'll look towards that if I go for a B.Sc, considering arts is useless on its own(and probably awkward/doesn't exactly match up with science)

spence

HSC
I was specifcially looking at Usyd, i saw UNSW had a the same course except the science side had maths + chem as assumed knowledge(which i don't do).
Wow I never knew you could do that, i always thought you had to pick subjects relevant to your degree.
I guess i'll look towards that if I go for a B.Sc, considering arts is useless on its own(and probably awkward/doesn't exactly match up with science)
If you do science at USyd, you should be able to do up to one major in arts. If you want to do more than that, you may as well do the double degree, as it only adds a year

jaimebien

HSC
I personally think BSc/BA is a great option. I know quite a few people doing it who are enjoying it. It opens up many options in the future and gives you a well-rounded education. I'm not sure if this combined degree would give a direct pathway to a specific career, but that's the great thing about it I think--that you can explore different areas before deciding what you want to go ahead with. Spence mentioned taking up a major in Arts while doing just a BSc, which is possible, but then you have to ask yourself, how interested are in humanities? Is it just a general interest? Are there a few certain areas that interest, such as film studies, a language and something else? Do you only like one Arts subject? If it's only one, then yes, an Arts major with BSc is probably alright. But a combined degree gives you access to a greater variety of choices, so that you're not locked in from the start.

trao06

HSC
It would depend on what you wanted to major in. For example, something like linguistics or sociology as an arts major would complement psychology in the BSc well, mathematics or economics as an arts major would go well with chemistry etc. There are BA majors that aren't simply humanities - social sciences majors are pretty useful to do alongside science majors. If you don't want to just do subjects you like here and there as electives and actually have a desire to study something in depth, a dual degree would be a great idea.

Andi0390

HSC
I don't know how long the combined degree is but you have to weigh up if its worth it. Remember each year you spend at university means you have to pay of more later. Also, if you want to do honours or other post grad you are going to be at university for a while.

I'm all for double degrees especially if they lead you somewhere that you particularly want to go, but I don't think its a great idea just to do it for the heck of it. Also, as you would be doing subjects in Arts and Science remember a lot of your friends will be finished after 3 years, and it would be nice to graduate with them (theoretically).

If I were you I would look into what you are mostly interested. With Arts you can pull one major out of another department, and from other posts of this I think its the same with science. So if you are more into studying humanities, social sciences and that type of thing, I would go with an Arts degree and then do a take the science subject you are most interested in. If you are very interested in science stuff then just pick the Arts subject you are most interested in and add it to your degree.

Check before you go somewhere what options they have. Like not all universities let you take all subjects from other area. Like at ANU you cannot take Law if you are in Arts, and there are a fair few others too.

See what you want to do. If you think an Arts science is going to be especially helpful to your chosen career by all means do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)