• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Bsc or Bsc (adv) ? (2 Viewers)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Basically i dont really care which one i do. Since they are pretty similar. However which one will be easiest to get a higher GPA in? Because from searching i have found that the advanced stream has much better scaling and the people that get the HD's and D's are generally from the advanced stream. However if i do just a straight Bsc, with its fairly low cut off 80's or so, wont i be able to achieve much better marks in it? Or is this like the case of comparing general maths to 4u?

On the whole, the only reason i would do adv sci or sci would be if i didnt make med, in which case i would need to work very hard to get a decent gpa. Im just looking at getting the highest marks in a science related course. I dont really care whether i go to usyd or unsw, I just want the highest marks in a sciency course. Any other recommendations of courses?

Thanks for your comments :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
You can do advanced subjects while you're in the normal science degree, you're just not forced to. The general rule at uni is do the normal unit if you're after P's and C's, do the advanced unit if you want D's and HD's.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
While the scaling isn't like general to 4u, it does give you a sufficient advantage to choose the advanced course. Technically with scaling you should get the same mark in a subject in either stream, but generally advanced will yield better marks. With normal subjects you usually get raw marks, and HDs are not very likely.

If you want the highest GPA possible, you should really do advanced. I don't see how you can get a great deal higher than 6 if you stayed in the normal stream for everything if there was a choice.

stamos

sellout
HSC
there are advanced subjects, those are the ones that it's easier to get higher marks in

'advanced' science just means that instead of needing a fourth year to do honours, you get honours in 3 years

and you need to maintain a credit average

i think

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stamos said:
'advanced' science just means that instead of needing a fourth year to do honours, you get honours in 3 years
That depends what uni you're at, too.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh ok. Does it matter whether unsw/usyd, personally i dont give a shit about the life at usyd....after i make my course then i can worry about having a life.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
You can have a life and a high GPA you know. And you'll probably need to work a lot harder in med than BSc (Adv).

stamos

sellout
HSC
velox said:
Oh ok. Does it matter whether unsw/usyd, personally i dont give a shit about the life at usyd....after i make my course then i can worry about having a life.
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeh i know about that. But you get the gist. Im not going to be taking advantage of the social life if im not feeling content about where i am in regards to where i want to be.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Life at uni >> *

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Yeh i know about that. But you get the gist. Im not going to be taking advantage of the social life if im not feeling content about where i am in regards to where i want to be.
Do whatever you feel like for the first 10 weeks of semester then cram for the 4 remaining until exams and come out with an ~80 WAM. It's not rocket science.

EDIT: Though if you actually do work during semester on the subjects that don't have a highly weighted final exam it'd help too.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Sorry should have rephrased that waf. I know usyd has a better faculty for sci but as unsw's cut off is a lot lower, will that help your marks since the canditure is of lower quality (generalising a bit, yes i know).

And i suppose doing ssp isn't good for your gpa?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
Do whatever you feel like for the first 10 weeks of semester then cram for the 4 remaining until exams and come out with an ~80 WAM. It's not rocket science.

EDIT: Though if you actually do work during semester on the subjects that don't have a highly weighted final exam it'd help too.
No...bludge for the first 14 weeks and cram in stuvac. 80 WAM isn't hard. Neither is rocket science really (I'm considering switching to aero (space) if I stay in engineering).

Yeah, GPA is lower than WAM. You can get lots of Ds but get pulled back by 95+ marks above 85 with WAM. Your GPA gets screwed.

USyd of course. But I am biased.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
velox said:
Sorry should have rephrased that waf. I know usyd has a better faculty for sci but as unsw's cut off is a lot lower, will that help your marks since the canditure is of lower quality (generalising a bit, yes i know).

And i suppose doing ssp isn't good for your gpa?
I'm not going to comment on the two faculties, because imo they're both fantastic. I chose USyd for a few reasons, based on flexibility of the combined degree, transport issues, and the fact that they offered BE(space) degrees.

EDIT: Templar, aero means you get KC Wong in later years. Have fun with that. :)

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeh i dont mind travelling since unsw is only like another 10 mins from school, plus i might be moving much closer. Hmm but you didn't really answer my main question :p

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Find your own reasons to choose, be it that you like the subjects offered at one over the other, or the general atmosphere or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)