Budget! (1 Viewer)

stamos

sellout
HSC
Originally posted by Asquithian
pretty decent tax cut...

might as well give that money back to the people in tax cuts rather than spend it on good things such as health welfare and education.
you're almost as cynical about politics as the treasurer :)

prof

HSC
pretty decent tax cut...
might as well give that money back to the people in tax cuts rather than spend it on good things such as health welfare and education.
and it's great how the tax cuts only benefit the ones who need it least>>middle to high income earners

stamos

sellout
HSC
Originally posted by prof
and it's great how the tax cuts only benefit the ones who need it least>>middle to high income earners
wouldn't low income earners who don't pay that much tax in the first place be more assisted by family allowances?

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
hardly any of this benifits me or my family :rolleyes:
.. theres so much child care stuff- new mothers etc... (i'm not saying its bad- just irrelevant in my life atm)

walrusbear

HSC
defence spending was as fucked as to be expected
was it like 132 million on iraqi troop support?

euripidies

If you can have children it's a good thing to do - you should have one for the father, one for the mother and one for the country, if you want to fix the ageing demographic
(Mr Costello )
sounds very altruistic - but what i want to know is, why are the baby reimbursement ( because were doing it for our country, lol) only for people earning under $25,000 a year?

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
Apparently, the government is gonna give away a massive $3000 for any parent that gives birth to a child....LoLz....hardly an incentive! :p

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
From what I just read, unless you earn over a thousand a week you get no tax cuts. Guess I'll be buggered if I get a job in uni that pays less than a grand a week.

Alot seems to be going to childcare places, but we've never used any. My mother didn't work until we were old enough to all be at school. And even then it was only because she was offered the job. So, I don't really get the whole childcare problem.

Still, you'd have thought he might have tried to cover some other problems such as education and health

rumour

HSC
Yeah it was soo exciting when he was reading the budget!!!!

A lot of the education money, is going towards private schools :rolleyes: again!!!!

That money could have gone towards universities, so that they could have more positions next year!!!

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
don't the tax cuts affect $52,000+ earners?...so uni students/low income earners aren't exactly benifiting... (i could be wrong)

Firstly, there are bracket readjustments, so if those who earn under 52K a year happen to get a rise, they don't move up a bracket. That said, I think the Budget was a bit too high spending at a time when the economy has almost peaked, but I guess no-one really cares about inflation. Shrug.

That money could have gone towards universities, so that they could have more positions next year!!!
Uhh, universities have plenty of money, thanks to extra fee paying students;).

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Grr its been the main argument at my house tonight, between me and my dad, hes complaning about the tax cuts for high income earners grr thats what I get for having an accountant for a dad.

haha ... yes ... INFLATION! everyone seems to have forgotten that word
Oh dear, apparently Latham's Budget reply speech will include FURTHUR tax cuts on top of the current 15billion (source SMH) :(

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
ok, think about this. According to what I read to do with the budget, Costello or Howard said.

"Anyone who earns 65,200 to 80,000 a year is not rich and should not think themselves such." That's the general idea behind the tax system. The rich aren't really rich enough so they get not much tax.
I thought I was middle class, guess that means I'm now poor, and everybody underneath me must be bloody poor, according to the governments thinking.

Welcome to MISS THE POINTSVILLE
Population: You.

They're saying 65,000 to 80,000 a year doesn't make you rich, more middle class (something with LATHAM AGREES WHICH, in fact, he might have been the one saying it first) and as such you shouldn't be paying 42 cents in the dollar on tax (i think thats the 65000 barrier). If you think 65000 a year is rich, you are sadly mistaken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)