HSC
1698191870495.png
soz i dont but this is their sample ans

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
View attachment 41086
soz i dont but this is their sample ans
just curious why it's wrong? this is how you would do it, i got the exact same answer i didn't do the exact way they did it [i did henderson-hasselbalch, but i guess the logic they use without the eq is the same as using the eq, there was a similar q in my trial and you could do it this way or apply the eq and you'd get the full marks]

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
how i did it:
when you add HCl, that's 0.015 moles to 1L of buffer. since you're ignoring any change in total volume and HCl ionises completely, [HCl] = [H+] = 0.015mol/L. so, applying henderson-hasselbalch to get the pH and subbing in the provided values given to you, that's pH = -log(4.3 x 10^-7) + log[(0.14 - 0.015)/(0.25 + 0.015]). adding H+ will take away from the base, and add to the acid. you get 6.040195...

before adding HCl, the pH of the buffer solution was 6.1129..., aligning with how buffers resist changes in pH

=)(=

HSC
just curious why it's wrong? this is how you would do it, i got the exact same answer i didn't do the exact way they did it [i did henderson-hasselbalch, but i guess the logic they use without the eq is the same as using the eq, there was a similar q in my trial and you could do it this way or apply the eq and you'd get the full marks]
cause like they say the concentration of h2co3 is going to be the old concentration + concentration of hcl which doesnt make sense

=)(=

HSC
also like they dont account for the shift of equilibrium like the just put the initial values in

Luukas.2

HSC
also like they dont account for the shift of equilibrium like the just put the initial values in
The answer is right.

The working is poor.

If you set up an ICE table with the initial moles of the acid and conjugate base forms, then consider that the added HCl has the effect of converting the base form into the acid - so the acid moles goes up by n(H+) added and the base form goes down by the same amount, then convert the resulting values to concentrations using the new total volume, then figure the system moves right (to produce some H+, call that x, then you get an equation like

Make the usual simplifications and the value of x will come out at the answer they gave.

=)(=

HSC
The answer is right.

The working is poor.

If you set up an ICE table with the initial moles of the acid and conjugate base forms, then consider that the added HCl has the effect of converting the base form into the acid - so the acid moles goes up by n(H+) added and the base form goes down by the same amount, then convert the resulting values to concentrations using the new total volume, then figure the system moves right (to produce some H+, call that x, then you get an equation like

Make the usual simplifications and the value of x will come out at the answer they gave.
ohhh i get what ur saying but would it be wrong like to make an ice table and put initial concentration of h30+=[HCO3-]+ 0.14 and going from there cause like before adding hcl their concentrations are equal right?

=)(=

HSC
The answer is right.

The working is poor.

also I might be wrong but should it be

=)(=

HSC
ohh right ic so x is the change but doesnt that mean that you assume intial h3o is 0? soz if i am asking to many questions i am very tripped out by this

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)