Buffering of Hydrogen ions?????? (1 Viewer)

georgechah1

HSC
haemoglobin buffers hydrogen ions when it is too concerntrated in the blood.....what does that mean...

Dr_Doom

HSC
I think it means it neutralizes it so there is an optimum pH.

phil2010

HSC
N/A
georgechah1 said:
haemoglobin buffers hydrogen ions when it is too concerntrated in the blood.....what does that mean...
A buffer is something that keeps the concentration of (say) H+ ions constant. For example if the [H+] gets too high the pH drops and the blood gets too acidic. A buffer stops this from happening. :)

arheniz

sacapuntas
HSC
hydrogen ions increase the acidity of the blood so a buffer is there to minimise the change in pH, so if a system becomes too alkaline it'll bounce it a bit the other way to keep the pH relatively stable..without the buffer our system would be screwed (enzymes would denature, metabolism would basically stop)..but as far as i knew the buffer in the blood was carbonic acid and the hydrogen carbonate ion..not sure about the haemoglobin, but i could be wrong there

Dr_Doom

HSC
Well haemoglobin has to carry the carbon dioxide, so it could determine how much is to be filtered out of the kidney.

arheniz

sacapuntas
HSC
Dr_Doom said:
Well haemoglobin has to carry the carbon dioxide, so it could determine how much is to be filtered out of the kidney.
oh yeah..whoops, haemoglobin does carry the CO2 :) ...except the CO2 is filtered out through the lungs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)