• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Buffy 'Restless' for supp text (1 Viewer)

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
Hey guys, was thinking of doing 'Restless' in season 4 of buffy? has anybody done this before or did anybody have some pointers on how to relate it to imaginative journey?

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
Have you got any good reason why I shouldn't? Cos what you said isn't really convincing me not to do it.

kaylz

HSC
because.. you may as well say "hey markers! I'm a dickhead buffy fan who's unable to focus on anything worthwhile! give me a band 2!"
Seriously, it undermines your credibility as a candidate big time.

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
kaylz said:
because.. you may as well say "hey markers! I'm a dickhead buffy fan who's unable to focus on anything worthwhile! give me a band 2!"
Seriously, it undermines your credibility as a candidate big time.
thats just a bullshit excuse.

so that would mean if u do something like alice in wonderland ur basically saying "hey i like alice in wonderland so im gonna do that"

maybe im doing the episode because it holds relevance to the bloody course u fool.

god i hate ppls attitudes on this forum. grow up.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
dude if you think you can pull it off, then go for it. you have to be able to explain your arguments thoroughly enough though, as though you were writing them for someone who had never seen an episode of buffy before. the mainstream answers all revolve around alice and the like, but i did the truman show for my representation of truth and did fine - teacher hadn't seen it but understood my arguments. if you can explain yourself in detail, then go for it.

kaylz

HSC
No, you miss my point. There are other well regarded texts that the marker will recognise or appreciate... instead of rolling their eyes and thinking "great. another randy teen with a crush on smg..." You say I need to grow up, and yet you're the one using buffy as a supplementary text for the HSC?

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a risky choice of material because you could get a marker who will mark it as any other text. Or you could get a marker who sees the word "Buffy" and marks you down because they do not consider it a valid sophisticated text. I once got marked down because I used Babe which the teachers didn't consider sophisticated enough.

Discuss with your teacher about whether most markers will be dismissive of the series or not. Otherwise, that episode is pretty good as long as you steer away from superficial writing and really focus hard on the episode as a text in terms of techniques and etc.

I don't know how it would relate to IJ - but I did use Buffy (the series in entirety) for my 4U English Major Work (as a post modern text) and my teacher thought it was fine. But that's just one teacher and for an entirely different topic.

Last edited:

enva

HSC
N/A
'Buffy' isnt entirely a dumb idea, considering if your able to emphasise the techniques used etc. Also 'Buffy' is used as a source for the study of Semiotics, at least in one of the Text And Culture sections of University study. That said everyone differs on there oppinion of 'Buffy' and its relevance.

rcandelori

Buffy is the most lugubrious piece of teen crap that exists on television today. Good riddance to your HSC mark.

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
rcandelori said:
Buffy is the most lugubrious piece of teen crap that exists on television today. Good riddance to your HSC mark.
well ur stupid then aren't you. buffy finished 2 yrs ago hence it isn't on tv, u fool

Kyroth***

HSC
OMG, have any of you anti-Buffy-ers actually SEEN the show?!?

True story: Any new english who comes into my school sees the Buffy season box sets on the Head's desk. Their reaction is "Buffy?!? Wow, I though he had more sense than that..." Then they get given yr11 english, where buffy has been the prescribed text for a few years now (at my school, obviously). They actually sit down and watch it, and something clicks... hey, this might actually have merit! So they watch a bit more, and they read some stuff, and discuss it with their class... Before long they have a complete appreciation for the academic merit of Buffy. I know 5 teachers personally where this was pretty much what happened.

Buffy is one of the most studied main streem texts, and thats not because people want to discredit it, that's because there is something real there. Very simply, Buffy as a text for study, works.

Oh, two additional notes: I was not a Buffy fan until I studied it, my first appreciation was academic, so don't discount this as fangirl ravings. Also, 3 of these teachers are regular HSC markers, so you can't say it doesn't apply to markers, either.

serge

HSC
Gibbo69er said:
anybody have some pointers on how to relate it to imaginative journey?
dont chose a text that you dont understand
or a text where you cant find relevant techniques

serge

HSC
Kyroth*** said:
Also, 3 of these teachers are regular HSC markers, so you can't say it doesn't apply to markers, either.
just because 3 markers like buffy, does not mean they'll give you a good mark
if you right a poor essay

Kyroth***

HSC
no, of course not, but it means they won't dismiss it as unworthy, as many people have suggested they would. Also, if markers from my school think that, then it's very likely that markers from other schools will too.

SiZmOs

"Shaken, not stirred."
HSC
serge said:
dont chose a text that you dont understand
or a text where you cant find relevant techniques
well said serge - only choose a text if you can actually relate it to the imaginary journey well. if not, then choose something that you can!

somnambulist

Then they get given yr11 english, where buffy has been the prescribed text for a few years now (at my school, obviously).
It's a prescribed text at your school? I'm jealous.

Restless isn't a bad text for the imaginative journey. You just have to emphasise the themes and techniques, of which there are a-plenty. The intertextual reference to "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe", the whole dream aspect and the metaphyiscal journeys taken by all four characters, the metaphor of the cheese man, the use of camera shots and angles to emphasise the dream-like qualities etc. You could even link it to the Tempest with sleep, dreaming and magic, and to stimulus texts like Journey to the Interior, with the extended metaphor and search for identity. The entire episode is actually a very appropriate text for the Imaginative Journey.

If you analyse it and link it to the question, there's no way a teacher can fault you for fulfilling the criteria in a well-written way. That's what my teacher always told me.

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
somnambulist said:
It's a prescribed text at your school? I'm jealous.

Restless isn't a bad text for the imaginative journey. You just have to emphasise the themes and techniques, of which there are a-plenty. The intertextual reference to "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe", the whole dream aspect and the metaphyiscal journeys taken by all four characters, the metaphor of the cheese man, the use of camera shots and angles to emphasise the dream-like qualities etc. You could even link it to the Tempest with sleep, dreaming and magic, and to stimulus texts like Journey to the Interior, with the extended metaphor and search for identity. The entire episode is actually a very appropriate text for the Imaginative Journey.

If you analyse it and link it to the question, there's no way a teacher can fault you for fulfilling the criteria in a well-written way. That's what my teacher always told me.
Thanks, but what exactly do you believe the cheese-man is a metaphor for? Joss Whedon said that the cheese-man means nothing, just put something in there that doesn't make sense to reinforce the dream-like qualities... or is that what you mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)