Building a Transformer (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi. I need to build a transformer, and was just checking some/lots of the things that I have to do.

I was thinking of getting a ring shaped iron core. Is it best to be at least 2cm thick? Is it possible to get laminated ones of these? (Or does it even need to be laminated??) Also, roughly how much would these cost, and where could I get them from?

For the wires, I was thinking about using copper wire, of different widths (0.8mm and 0.25mm if possible). Is this a good wire to use? Does it need to be insulated? Approximately how many winds should I do? Also, how much would this wire cost, and where could I get this from?

Oh, and from school, I've borrowed a power-pack, a rheostat, a multimeter, and some wires (with "banana" and "alligator" clips.)

Thanks for the help.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
To find an iron ring, it would probably be best just to get something made of steel, it'll do the job. checkout somewhere like Bunnings or somewhere like that.
You can insulate it yourself if needed (use tape or something)

You can get winding wire from places like Dick Smith, the thicker the better, as it'll reduce the resistance of the transformer. at least 30 or so windings should do, but winding wire comes in pretty long lengths, so you could have a fairly large amount.

Regarding costs, I have no idea, find out when you go to the stores.

thehootman

HSC
You wont be able to find an iron ring that is laminated.
The best best would be some sort of hook/loop made for holding rope or some other hardware like that.

Regards to winding wire. DO NOT get it as thick as you can get it. Make an intelligent decision - you need some resistance otherwise you will blow your power supply. Also, you can cram in more coils with thinner wire which will make it more efficient. It is a trade-off with thin or thick wire so calculate how many turns you want and the resistance. THEN buy your wire.

You could also make a concentric transformer - you dont need the iron ring then, just loads of winding wire.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)