Bullies take sticks and stones from playground to internet (1 Viewer)

Is bullying prevalent in these forums?

• Yes, and something needs to be done.

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Yes, but it's not particularly bad.

Votes: 20 40.0%
  • Not really.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • Not at all.

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Casmira said:
you joking? its an internet forum for christ sake, id have to shoot myself if i took any of it too heart. all i know is the the ones 'bullying' are losers anyways

so you just assume that?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
If that makes us feel better then thats what we should assume.

And he is right - people shouldn't take things to heart.

Skeeta

HSC
im kinda on the fence here. I mean i'm sure bullying does occur to some extent (isnt that what flaming is all about).. but usually its lighthearted and in good fun. Sometimes it does get a bit tough but i do think its COMPLETELY different to being bullied in a school setting.

Here we have the option just to close the screen, not retaliate with no consequences involved. Its easier to distance yourself from the internet (imo). I suppose it would be a major issue if you were on BOS, you were being bullied at school and then the bullies found you on here and started flaming, knowing who you are.. but i doubt this happens. Even then its not that hard to sign up again and start over..

you dont get that opportunity in real life

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
As long as this 'bullying' stays strongly confined within the internet, all is good. There is nothing wrong with mocking some mouthbreather's PoV, after all, these kinds of people tend to devolve into the more entertaining hissy fits.

Of course, once this drama gets exported into meatspace, and all kinds of bizarre accusations get thrown around, then this kind of thing loses its humour. The moral of this story is don't take things too seriously, or else you're going to pay for it. After all, as has been repeated ad nauseum, it's not hard to filter out personal attacks, and the people who genuinely care about these sorts of things are walking dramabombs who you want to stay away from.

HSC
Fu Manchu said:
You are one of the bullies. You told a depressed girl that she was going to hell.

Now you have the gall to insult me for picking on you?
I told lia what she knew; paraphrase it however you wish. that is if lia is even real im still unsure if jordan is fabricating it. And whats this "have the gull to insult me for picking on you", do you honestly take it as far as to call it "picking on me" on an internet forum?! first of all, like i stated its an internet forum, secondly grow up this isnt high school
now go, retort me back with your massive cyber-attacks go on

Kabeio said:
so you just assume that?
somebody sad enough to analyse people's post on an internet forum is a loser in my eyes

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
deciphering posts = different to deciphering msn replies?

HSC
well let me distinguish

when someone comes and analyses my post for grammar/punctuation is different to someone trying to help someone over msn when they are depressed

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Casmira said:
well let me distinguish

when someone comes and analyses my post for grammar/punctuation is different to someone trying to help someone over msn when they are depressed
thought u werent going to be the nice guy anymore but a jerk lol

towny

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
If that makes us feel better then thats what we should assume.

And he is right - people shouldn't take things to heart.
people shouldnt, but they do.

people here seem to be dealing with ideals rather than reality

stazi

Nightman
HSC
towny said:

and if people do, then they need to realise that this is the net. it's not exactly reality.

X

xeuyrawp

stazi said:
and if people do, then they need to realise that this is the net. it's not exactly reality.
Thank you. People need to lighten up and realise that this is part of life, not life itself.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Mike Ockisard said:
there's an ignore button for that

people should help themselves before crying foul
It ruins the debate. The simple solution is to warn or suspend the person doing this

kow_dude

HSC
I think the BOS forums has changed a lot over the years. I used to post a lot in the HSC section where i get help and i help others. Posts were generally informative and threads were productive.

But now we have people creating troll accounts, flaming and abusing members because there is no direct contact with the other person. Threads are often off-topic and posts are deleted due to racist or inappropraite comments. There is not much on the forums to be taken seriously.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think that kind of behaviour os mostly limited to NS and is not even a huge problem there...

Vahl

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Thank you. People need to lighten up and realise that this is part of life, not life itself.
lol true,

It isn't bullying to slam a person's beliefs or ideas, only to attack them personally. I think people tend to take posts that disagree with them personally.

Play the ball, not the person :)

X

xeuyrawp

townie said:

Yet it's the 'bully's' fault when someone overreacts and gets offended. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)