Burning Out (1 Viewer)

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Hi

Does anyone have any advice for not burning out during yr12? I live out of town and so already have limited time outside of school (I leave about 7 in the morning and don't get back till about 6-7 in the arvo, some of that time is at school studying, most is travelling around town with Dad), and m'n'd have strongly suggested cutting back social activities, currently all I do is youth group on Friday night. I've also got health problems, and so get really tired easily, meaning that when I get back home I just crash and can't study. I'm going pretty good with assessments and am happy there, but just am losing motivation and really don't want to do anything much, just want to turn 18 and leave. This then increases the stress levels bc I want to do good, and have a fair amount of pressure from fam to do well, but either just want/need to sleep or can't get my arse moving. I do know of some things that I can do that relieve my stress (motorbikes, running etc.), but it doesn't help when I can hardly think straight. Any suggestions?

Thanks =)

leehuan

HSC
Why not do all the studying at school during your free time such as lunch and recess so that you don't feel as though you do nothing first?

That aside, how do you get to school? I went by train so if I was desperate I studied on the train anyway. Also I attended no social events during my HSC year but that was just me.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
I find that I need the break from work during lunch and recess. It could be bc of my subjects which are pretty full on (bio, chem, Phys, 2U math and adv eng). I use my free periods pretty well to keep up with homework and assessments so that's pretty ok.

I generally drive in (me or Dad), or if I have to I catch my bus when Dad's away. I can't read in the car, well not unless I want to get car-sick haha. Yeah, I find I need a bit to stay somewhat sane. I'm introverted naturally, but need bits of social interaction, which is generally smaller groups of friends watching movies

Why not do all the studying at school during your free time such as lunch and recess so that you don't feel as though you do nothing first?

That aside, how do you get to school? I went by train so if I was desperate I studied on the train anyway. Also I attended no social events during my HSC year but that was just me.

leehuan

HSC
One of my friends did that combo with PDHPE. He got 94.65 ATAR with it. But he just kept studying and was lacking sleep. Cause he also wanted a social life.
With me and social life though, I just interacted during recess and lunch. All I needed.

Reading in the car, to be fair, is an easy cause of dizziness. But that was part of why I usually avoid the car

How long is the ride anyway? Because going to a school that's 1+hr away feels not worth it.

Though I always just got 8 hours of sleep and went with it. It was either go to bed at 10 to wake up at 6-6:30, or 9 and 5-5:30 if I had 4u on the day after.

Occasionally (but rarely) did I nap.

si2136

HSC
N/A
Out of the 7 days, always take a mini break for 2 days. I've burned out twice already in the beginning of the year, studying everyday from 3:30-6:30 and 8:00-10:00.

It's definitely a tiring lifestyle, you constantly ponder about what you're doing with your life when you look at everyone around you, at least enjoying themselves. When I burn out, I can't focus at all. I get really tired emotionally and physically, and I just contemplate a lot about my work ethics. A way that I stopped my burn out was to just take a break and do something you love, that will get your mood up and ready to start working again, which it was fitness for me. Because of studying, I cut out all of my EC activities, which I have done a lot (cadets, tennis, chess, judo). But remember to keep a balance, you don't want to be working very hard up to the point you have your trials and externals! I recommend listening to podcasts or videos on TED Talks on the topics that you enjoy, the talks are really interesting and it helps me focused, it doesn't make you lose out of your 'studying' mode and you get to learn something new everyday!

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Ok. Haha no way I'm getting that, bloody hell. Yeah, can't do that.
Ok. Everyone's different I guess

Yeah. Haha I can't avoid the car, really hate my bus

It's about 40 minutes. Yeah, though out in the country (where I am) you generally don't have a choice

Ok. I've got some stuff like CF and whatever that doesn't allow for that tho aha. Ok.
One of my friends did that combo with PDHPE. He got 94.65 ATAR with it. But he just kept studying and was lacking sleep. Cause he also wanted a social life.
With me and social life though, I just interacted during recess and lunch. All I needed.

Reading in the car, to be fair, is an easy cause of dizziness. But that was part of why I usually avoid the car

How long is the ride anyway? Because going to a school that's 1+hr away feels not worth it.

Though I always just got 8 hours of sleep and went with it. It was either go to bed at 10 to wake up at 6-6:30, or 9 and 5-5:30 if I had 4u on the day after.

Occasionally (but rarely) did I nap.

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Ok. Yeah ok

Aha yep, can relate to all that. Especially doing Hamlet in eng atm...for some reason it made me think very philosophically and deep, which is generally not a good thing aha. Ok. Did you stuggle with feeling guilty about taking a break, cause you know that you need to study? I'm too far out of town to do EC activities, so not exactly a problem aha. Yeah defs. Ok, will look into that. Watch heaps of TED in chem haha. Cool, thanks =)

Out of the 7 days, always take a mini break for 2 days. I've burned out twice already in the beginning of the year, studying everyday from 3:30-6:30 and 8:00-10:00.

It's definitely a tiring lifestyle, you constantly ponder about what you're doing with your life when you look at everyone around you, at least enjoying themselves. When I burn out, I can't focus at all. I get really tired emotionally and physically, and I just contemplate a lot about my work ethics. A way that I stopped my burn out was to just take a break and do something you love, that will get your mood up and ready to start working again, which it was fitness for me. Because of studying, I cut out all of my EC activities, which I have done a lot (cadets, tennis, chess, judo). But remember to keep a balance, you don't want to be working very hard up to the point you have your trials and externals! I recommend listening to podcasts or videos on TED Talks on the topics that you enjoy, the talks are really interesting and it helps me focused, it doesn't make you lose out of your 'studying' mode and you get to learn something new everyday!

Flop21

HSC
Light study during weekdays, heavy study during weekends.

the_matrix

HSC

This is good advice but it does not work for everyone. Don't use up all your recess and lunch breaks like that or you will definitely burn out. Considering that you take the bus/car, maybe listen to some music during your travel and don't think about work. Just relax!
And please, try to participate in some recess/lunch sport which requires significant amounts of physical exertion (handball is a common one, volleyball, netball, football, swimming if you go to a rich school XD). Sport release endorphins which definitely lower stress levels!

For some people, studying 24/7 works, for others, that's not the case.

I was in a similar situation to you and the solution which really helped me was lowering my standards/requirements. My parents didn't require me to get a doctorate/etc but I did place lots and lots of pressure on myself - I initially wanted to do combined engineering but eventually after going through so much crap, I decided to resort to computer science. If you perceive this as cowardice, don't - your health is more important. Remember not everyone does well at school (otherwise we'd have a million doctors and politicians LOL), but I assure you everyone is unique and will succeed in something at some point in their life.

I knew a friend who stressed out so much that he got tension headaches, couldn't sleep properly, lost appetite and looked quite old for his age (i'm not joking, he went to doctors and counsellors because of excessive stress). So take care of yourself or things will get very ugly.

If you do end up taking my advice and lowering your requirements, you're going to have to discuss this with your family. It may be uncomfortable discussing this and disputes may arise, but I'm sure your family wouldn't want you to burn out.

Hit me up with a message if you want more advice, I'm more than happy to help! I go to a school with quite a lot of stress carriers (I'm one of them) and I can certainly relate to you.

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
Ok. Yeah ok

Aha yep, can relate to all that. Especially doing Hamlet in eng atm...for some reason it made me think very philosophically and deep, which is generally not a good thing aha. Ok. Did you stuggle with feeling guilty about taking a break, cause you know that you need to study? I'm too far out of town to do EC activities, so not exactly a problem aha. Yeah defs. Ok, will look into that. Watch heaps of TED in chem haha. Cool, thanks =)
I always think philosophical, no matter what the situation is.

No, I didn't feel guilty when I took a break to study, I don't even study in the holidays, I just do maths and write my HSC notes.

Feeling emotions is something in your mind. You seem to be pressured to do well, but you need to know that you should take it easy a bit. In life, there's always moments of stress, from school, to work, from relationships, to marriage etc. The stress doesn't get easier. But it gets easier to manage the stress. Find a strategy that works out for you, always take breaks during the long period of study, maybe 10 minutes every 2 hours! I'm quite sure you wouldn't be 100% focused during the long 4 hours of studying, so it's good to take a break and refresh yourselves.

leehuan

HSC
This is good advice but it does not work for everyone. Don't use up all your recess and lunch breaks like that or you will definitely burn out. Considering that you take the bus/car, maybe listen to some music during your travel and don't think about work. Just relax!
And please, try to participate in some recess/lunch sport which requires significant amounts of physical exertion (handball is a common one, volleyball, netball, football, swimming if you go to a rich school XD). Sport release endorphins which definitely lower stress levels!

For some people, studying 24/7 works, for others, that's not the case.
I never studied much at all until 4 weeks before trials/final exam. (Then I hardcore-d it.)

Only reason I said this is because OP mentioned tiredness being a major factor in all of this, as well as having limited time. Hence I thought some time had to be freed up.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
Just make sure you're consistent - don't try and do everything at once. Even doing 20 minutes a day instead of 1 hour in a single day is ok. Just make sure you're getting the most out of every single moment you study

the_matrix

HSC
I never studied much at all until 4 weeks before trials/final exam. (Then I hardcore-d it.)

Only reason I said this is because OP mentioned tiredness being a major factor in all of this, as well as having limited time. Hence I thought some time had to be freed up.
Oh rightttt sorry I'm kind of an over cautious freak when it comes to health and safety...

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I find that I need the break from work during lunch and recess. It could be bc of my subjects which are pretty full on (bio, chem, Phys, 2U math and adv eng). I use my free periods pretty well to keep up with homework and assessments so that's pretty ok.

I generally drive in (me or Dad), or if I have to I catch my bus when Dad's away. I can't read in the car, well not unless I want to get car-sick haha. Yeah, I find I need a bit to stay somewhat sane. I'm introverted naturally, but need bits of social interaction, which is generally smaller groups of friends watching movies
As someone is introverted and often tired I will say...
Getting a good nights rest is very important to make sure you do

Use your time that you do have wisely, and efficiently. Set aside time on the weekends to ensure that you get enough study, if it means you need to get the bus back rather than drive. What you could do is use podcasts/audio on the trip to school when you are not driving that is, I am sure there are plenty of them around.

Keeping some thing in the week as a social interaction is a wise idea especially for when the HSC finishes, you still need to survive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)