Burnout (1 Viewer)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
On the contrary burning out is recognised by WHO in the international classification of diseases as a psychological disorder characterised by mental and emotional exhaustion. It is hardly an excuse or a myth

tambam

HSC
Re: Is it possible to be among the best without coaching?

No.

This whole concept of 'burning out' is the biggest joke in the world. If you're passionate about achieving something, you'll have no problem putting in the work to pursue it, no matter how much it is. "Burning out" is just a concept used by beta-students to justify their laziness, or simply the fact that they don't crave success as much
This is like saying mental illness does not exist, or that the person who's ill is to blame foe their condition.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

This is like saying mental illness does not exist, or that the person who's ill is to blame foe their condition.
No it isn't. If you have a diagnosed psychological condition then of course my argument doesn't apply.

It's like saying someone is physically disabled if they can't be bothered going for a run every day.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

No it isn't. If you have a diagnosed psychological condition then of course my argument doesn't apply.

It's like saying someone is physically disabled if they can't be bothered going for a run every day.
Refer to my post.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

My point is it is overly idealistic to assume that a person can do potentially limitless study without eventually getting mentally or emotionally exhausted, which is what burning out is. It is therefore very real and hardly "the biggest joke"

enoilgam

HSC

No.

This whole concept of 'burning out' is the biggest joke in the world. If you're passionate about achieving something, you'll have no problem putting in the work to pursue it, no matter how much it is. "Burning out" is just a concept used by beta-students to justify their laziness, or simply the fact that they don't crave success as much as they'd like to think.

Just to clarify: this shouldn't even be a problem in Year 8. Just let the kid have fun for now.
I think that is a bit unfair. I have witnessed a close friend burnout and I can assure you its not an excuse for laziness. Without going into too much detail, the physical and emotional toll which the pressure took on this person was severe and I think to label that as "laziness" is quite insulting.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

Put down your pitchforks, snowflakes. Only a very small percentage of people suffer from legitimate psychological disorders that might be the course of 'burning out'. To reiterate, of course my argument doesn't apply to this subset, mental illness is a very serious issue that should be taken seriously.

But a lot more than a few percent of students use the 'I'm burning out!' card.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

My point is it is overly idealistic to assume that a person can do potentially limitless study without eventually getting mentally or emotionally exhausted, which is what burning out is. It is therefore very real and hardly "the biggest joke"
If you don't have a diagnosed psychological condition, then yes, it is the biggest joke. I find it hilarious.

HSC

lol my parents would never, ever, ever, ever post something like this on a site

Honestly, my five cents is that for the higher-scaling subjects tutoring really helps you'd be disadvantaging yourself if you didn't cos the consensus is that most people get tutored for them. As for English, why not just get tutoring for a few weeks so that she learns how to structure an essay and then like everyone else mentioned practice away.

mirakon

nigga
HSC

If you don't have a diagnosed psychological condition, then yes, it is the biggest joke. I find it hilarious.
It doesn't have to be "diagnosed". An apt analogy is that of a 100m sprinter. Obviously if he practises a lot, he will improve, yet it is ridiculous to assume he can practise limitlessly without getting exhausted. It is exactly the same with study.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

It doesn't have to be "diagnosed". An apt analogy is that of a 100m sprinter. Obviously if he practises a lot, he will improve, yet it is ridiculous to assume he can practise limitlessly without getting exhausted. It is exactly the same with study.
LOL this is so funny how your logic absolutely sucks.

Of course the sprinter can't practice 'limitlessly' as in 16 hours at a time, just like how no one can study that long (it's physically impossible). But the sprinter can, if he/she is determined enough, practice a few hours every single day, just like a determined student can study 4-6 hours a day.

enoilgam

HSC
In response to this debate which has emerged in another thread, I have started up this thread to discuss burnout in the HSC.

Last edited:

Steve1820

HSC

Yes everyone is backing me up :lol:

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I start so many of these arguments =P. But at the end of the day, I love the absolute hell out of each and every one of you people.

5h0w me sum l0v3 guise <3 <3

bertstare

HSC
Here's my post from another thread

From how I see it, burning out is all mental.

Here's a quote by a bodybuilder, although not specifically directed towards studying etc it can very much well be. His analogies are more general analogies focused at almost anything.

"If you guys are really wondering if you are 'burning out mentally', take a day off and go to your local hospital. Go to the cancer wing, look at a 4 year old, who wont ever see their teenage years, probably wont ever see their next birthday. Go and see someone who is mentally or physically retarded. Or see when a soldier who just came back from the war who doesn't have a leg anymore. Stare that guy down, look him right in the eyes, and tell him, as you stand there with 2 capable legs, that you are 'burned out', that you don't want to use them. See if that doesn't kill him right there. Because he'd do anything to have the opportunity"

Hopefully if you read that you'll wake up, remove that burnt out feeling and toughen up.

Now this doesn't mean you should just read this quote over and over so you get your head in a book 24/7, it could be more beneficial to actually take some rest and kind of get your mind off studying for a few hours once or twice a week. Not only would it clear some of the pressure you've been building up while studying, you could really give room for your newly acquired or reinforced knowledge to settle in.

Edit: So really, just go have fun once in a while but DON'T use being "burnt out" as a reason to have a break or go have fun because 9 times out of 10 it's just your body telling you to quit. Don't let your body control your mind, let your mind control your body.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)