Burnt out and failed my hsc, need options (1 Viewer)

Danieldere

HSC
N/A
I'm in a situation and i need some help,

I sucessfully completed my year 11 prelim studies, however I totally screwed up my year 12. About half way through year 12, family problems arose where I was required to work.

I took up a part time job, which at times required me to work during school hours. Because of this, I missed a lot of my classes and missed a lot of the required work.

If I was able to attend classes, I would work all night after i finished school. I had no time to complete assessment tasks, or if I did complete them, they were poorly done.

As a result, I was forced by my school to drop some of my hsc courses, and failed the others. In the end, I only actually passed two of my courses.

I have been working full time ever since, and now that my family issues are sorted, I really regret not completing my hsc sucessfully..

So, what are my options?

Is it possible to somehow complete my hsc online, while still allowing me to work full time?

Or, would I have to complete courses at TAFE? Are there part-time TAFE options or something?

Since I sucessfully completed the prelim year 11 courses, do I now only have to complete the year 12 courses? And do my 2 completed courses still count towards my hsc?

I have no idea how to continue, I'm really at a loss... I dont know if its worth finishing my hsc, or if i should just take up a TAFE course in an area that I enjoy...

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
You can do your HSC at TAFE. Apparently it's also a lot less stressful to do it that way as there aren't so many assessment tasks. The HSC is not really valid if you go on to higher qualifications, but if you feel it's worthwhile doing, that is one option you could take.

Danieldere

HSC
N/A
DownInFlames said:
The HSC is not really valid if you go on to higher qualifications, but if you feel it's worthwhile doing, that is one option you could take.
So, do you think i would be better off skipping the hsc and just going straight into a higher-level course?

I was looking at doing a TAFE certificate in Information Technology, such as Network engineering, Network administration or possibly even Multimedia...

Would I really need my HSC if I take this path? Will it matter to employers? Or will the certificate/diploma be enough for them?

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
you have to committed to learning to finish a tafe course. so i think you've got a few options, in order of my recommendation.

1. an apprenticeship. preferably with the army, as they pay you very, very well. after that you have a 4year contract with them, a guaranteed future.

2. tafe course (p/t) and get a job at somewhere related to what you're doing at tafe.

3. complete your hsc at tafe, while working to support yourself.

4. give up the job and finish your hsc at school. gives you more options in the long run.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
Danieldere said:
So, do you think i would be better off skipping the hsc and just going straight into a higher-level course?

I was looking at doing a TAFE certificate in Information Technology, such as Network engineering, Network administration or possibly even Multimedia...

Would I really need my HSC if I take this path? Will it matter to employers? Or will the certificate/diploma be enough for them?
I really don't know. I think the main thing with doing your HSC and finishing this time would be the personal satisfaction/ ego boost (a really good thing here.)

Having the higher qualifications (basically Cert III and above) should really be what employers are looking for. If they ask you about your HSC you can breifly explain "family circumstances." Don't quote me on this, but I think seeing as the qualification is a higher level of education, this should be accepted regardess of how you got there.

Shoubadoo

HSC
My friend left school to become a mechanic as family problems arose and he felt he wouldn’t be able to cope with the HSC in addition to it all.
He said what helped him decide what to do was by consulting a professional career's advisor (not the school ones) who could analyse where his strengths lay so that he could use these strengths to find a job that suited him best- and the path that would lead him to this job.
So I would suggest seeking a careers advisor-type person (there's a different name for them but I can't remember it right now). They would be able to tell you what your best options are. It would be one step ahead.
Good luck with everythin' :)

Muz4PM

HSC
wuddie said:
you have to committed to learning to finish a tafe course. so i think you've got a few options, in order of my recommendation.

1. an apprenticeship. preferably with the army, as they pay you very, very well. after that you have a 4year contract with them, a guaranteed future.

2. tafe course (p/t) and get a job at somewhere related to what you're doing at tafe.

3. complete your hsc at tafe, while working to support yourself.

4. give up the job and finish your hsc at school. gives you more options in the long run.
Agreed with the above. The Army may not be your cup of tea, so you can disregard that, however, if you are willing, it is a good option.

xJennax

HSC
You guys are being really rude. He posted a serious topic asking for help no need to act like jerks about it.

To the OP, sorry about what happened, perhaps you can look into doing your HSC at tafe. You said you were considering an IT tafe course, that could be a good alternative as it's something you're interested in and you could do a diploma or whatever to try to get into uni if you wanted. Good luck with everything. :D

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
Danieldere said:
If you have your HSC, you can go straight into a Diploma course.
Otherwise, since you only have your SC, you'll need to start with a CertIII before moving onto a CertIV and eventually a Diploma course.
So you can either do your HSC, finish it, and go into a Diploma course; a total of 3 years.
Or, you can start at CertIII and work your way up; total of 4 years, I think.
It's just a matter of time, it's up to you.

DTFM

HSC
Conspiración said:
If you have your HSC, you can go straight into a Diploma course.
Otherwise, since you only have your SC, you'll need to start with a CertIII before moving onto a CertIV and eventually a Diploma course.
So you can either do your HSC, finish it, and go into a Diploma course; a total of 3 years.
Or, you can start at CertIII and work your way up; total of 4 years, I think.
It's just a matter of time, it's up to you.
Nonsense. The CertIII and CertIV each take half a year. Diploma usually takes a full year, but if you have done CertIV then it only requires a further six months. If he is interested in university level IT he could do a progression of CertIII, CertIV and Diploma and then enter into a second-year IT course at university.

Borbor

HSC
xJennax said:
You guys are being really rude. He posted a serious topic asking for help no need to act like jerks about it.

To the OP, sorry about what happened, perhaps you can look into doing your HSC at tafe. You said you were considering an IT tafe course, that could be a good alternative as it's something you're interested in and you could do a diploma or whatever to try to get into uni if you wanted. Good luck with everything. :D
Agreed, there's no need for all the sarcasm and cynicalism. Maybe some of you need to step into his shoes and try to understand how you would feel or do in that situation.

stillwaters

HSC
have you heard of pathways? its for people who are unable to complete their hsc in the traditional 'way' because of external circumstances i.e. medical condition/ family issues etc. i dont know much about it but its some kind of system where you can accumulate your HSC over five years... so since you already have two course/ four units (?) down then you could possibly tackle the other six (or eight) over the next five years either through your high school or another educational place i.e. TAFE...
but i dunno- you could also take TAFE courses and see where that leads you- like some one above said (sorry i forgot your name!! ><) you should scope it out with a prof. careers advisor or even approach your old school and ask them for advice.
g luck

notaaron

HSC
Why would you take a part time job that required you to work during school hours.

Conspiración

HSC
N/A
DTFM said:
Nonsense. The CertIII and CertIV each take half a year. Diploma usually takes a full year, but if you have done CertIV then it only requires a further six months. If he is interested in university level IT he could do a progression of CertIII, CertIV and Diploma and then enter into a second-year IT course at university.
For example...
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=19002

How do you suggest one completes 600 hours in 1 semester? A full-time student attends for up to 24 hours.

600/20 = 30 weeks
600/24 = 25 weeks

It's still over 1 semester.
Diploma takes 2 years of full-time study. I know this because I just burnt the papers.
Transferring into 2nd year etc will depend on the number of CPs.

DTFM

HSC
Conspiración said:
A better example.
http://www.tafensw.edu.au/howex/servlet/Course?Command=GetCourse&CourseNo=19002

1050 hours in 1 semester? I don't think so, buddy.
I completed a CertIII in IT (Network Administration) at Blue Mountains TAFE during semester 1 last year, studying 23 hours a week. The students who decided to continue with their studies completed the CertIV during semester 2, and will have completed their Diplomas at the end of this current semester. Advanced standing shaves enough hours off the CertIV and Diploma to allow each qualification to be completed in a single semester.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)