Burst Capillary? (1 Viewer)

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Hey, this morning I awoke and my left eye felt kind of sore. I didn't think much of it. Anyway a bit later I noticed a bit of redness when looking in the mirror. Looking to the right revealed this:

Is it just a burst capillary or something worse? Will it get better by itself or do I need drops or something?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
dude go to a doctor

greMlin72

Green Zombie
HSC
Taken from Medical Journal, http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400019:[god bless google] [i have too much time on my hands]

The burst blood vessels you're describing are called "subconjunctival hermorrhages." They occur among the many small and fragile blood vessels in the eye's conjunctiva, the clear membrane that covers the whites of the eyes and lubricates and protects the eyeball.

When one of these tiny blood vessels bursts, you will notice a bright red or dark patch on the whites of your eyes. A blood vessel can burst as a result of any number of normal, trivial occurrences - sneezing, coughing, straining, crying, vomiting, rubbing your eyes, but most of the time, no obvious cause can be identified. There are rarely any other symptoms, although sometimes you may feel some pain or mild irritation.

You may be at greater than normal risk of these little hemorrhages if you're taking medications or supplements that thin the blood, including warfarin (Coumadin), aspirin, Plavix or high doses of vitamin E or fish oil, or botanicals such as garlic. High doses of ginger, St. John's wort, ginkgo biloba, or cayenne may also increase your risk, although these are rare occurrences and do not typically occur with the standard dose for dietary supplements or the amounts usually used in foods. Sometimes, the burst blood vessels are associated with high blood pressure or with conjunctivitis (an eye infection).
Most of the time, the signs of the hemorrhages clear up without treatment, usually within 10 days. You may be able to prevent recurrences by taking vitamin C, 200 mg a day, which helps strengthen the walls of little blood vessels, and by taking grape seed extract or pycnogenol, which contain antioxidant pigments that do the same. Consult your doctor if you experience pain in connection with a subconjunctival hemorrhage, if you notice any changes in vision, have a history of a bleeding disorder or high blood pressure, or have injured your eye.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Yeah, I think I'll wait and see how it goes before bothering making the effort to see a doctor. There is much less pain today (although there wasn't much there at all to begin with), though it's still pretty red.

Has anyone else had this?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
patient was on warfarin .... and another on plavix..

friend with facial truma.. and another after coughin

K

katie_tully

i saw the most awesome subconjunctival hemorrage yesterday. the whole white of this persons eye was red. <3 every last bit of it.

rozymisty

HSC
It could be conjuctivitis starting out, or you couldve been rubbing your eye during the night or leaning on it too hard.

Red eyes are common, just go to an optometrist, just say is this serious and then if they want to have a look they can. And it will be bulk billed, unlike having to go to a doctor. They may be able to prescribe you eye drops if it conjuctivitis, otherwise they'd tell you to go to the docs for the script or just get over teh counter med.

Best seeing an optometrist in this case than a doctor.

quik.

HSC
Heh, looks kind of like a pic I saw recently of a dude who tried getting his eyeball tatoo'd pink.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
Yeah it got better in a few days. The blood kind of moved around more to the front of my eye before fading away. In hindsight it's pretty cool :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)