• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bush spying on Americans (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

0o0 said:
so the question is, should this intrusion of privacy be allowed if it indeed does saves lives?
Since in a foul mood, I'll summarise the ethical debates:

- The utilitarians argue that the minor liberties must be sacrificed for the greater good.

- The libertarians argue that the minor liberties are actually the things that separate us from a totalitarian society.

- Rational people would argue that somewhere in the median is more appropriate, with court-orders being secured via a constitutional way.

2 Dea

HSC
Didnt George break the law by not obtaining a court order? Is it even possible to send the American President to jail?

X

xeuyrawp

2 Dea said:
Is it even possible to send the American President to jail?
Yes, most definitely. Although the American equivalent would be to just shoot them on the steps of Parliament; god save the res publica et al.

HSC
veterandoggy said:
im sure it is... but which judge has the balls (or whatever equivalent term which is used for females)
Mr Bush, as I heard on Sky news or one of those channels, changed the law to suit his own agenda! The law was changed to record or listen to conversations by suppected terrorists (or something along those lines).

As to the original post - I think its purely wrong. The man needs a good reason, and thats what warrents are used for.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Is it even possible to send the American President to jail?

Impeaching the President is even worse.

I_F

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Pink_Butterfly said:
Mr Bush, as I heard on Sky news or one of those channels, changed the law to suit his own agenda! The law was changed to record or listen to conversations by suppected terrorists (or something along those lines).

As to the original post - I think its purely wrong. The man needs a good reason, and thats what warrents are used for.
warrants are acheived from judges, so i still hold on to my other post. like, which judge will deny the president of a warrant?

Riewe

HSC
I understand why Bush did that. It was immediately after 9/11 where the admistration and other agencies were reeling from the attacks and wanted as much info as quickly as possible. Having to go to court for warrants would've taken time, and maybe the time wasted could've meant they missed out on intelligence about more attacks.

While i wouldn't normaly support that kind of action, considering the situation, it passes with me.

2 Dea

HSC
Riewe said:
While i wouldn't normaly support that kind of action, considering the situation, it passes with me.
So you wouldn't mind that all your personal calls and emails were being listened to and read?

HSC
veterandoggy said:
warrants are acheived from judges, so i still hold on to my other post. like, which judge will deny the president of a warrant?

If he doesn't have enough evidence - of course they will, if they have any integrity.

No one is above the law, especially not the president!

Riewe

HSC
2 Dea said:
So you wouldn't mind that all your personal calls and emails were being listened to and read?
If i'm not planning to blow up cities or assassinate someone, then i have nothing to worry about. And it doesn't seem like they picked random people to spy on, only those they thought might be a threat. Hence nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)