• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Bush's Creationism in schools remarks (1 Viewer)

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Deus said:
I'm just wondering where all the forum's religious nutters have gone too....
maybe they've all died and gone to heaven, leaving the rest of us to burn in the hell that is BoS?

....or maybe they're just busy, or have lives or something :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Moonlight used his powers as mod to hunt them down and kill them?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The thing i find disturbing is that there is meant to be a seperation of church and state, but yet the President can make remarks such as this and even has the power to carry them out.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Deus said:
The thing i find disturbing is that there is meant to be a seperation of church and state, but yet the President can make remarks such as this and even has the power to carry them out.
Thankyou for your contribution, US Constitution expert - Deus.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Likewise i also find these examples of US State Consititutions disturbing.

Arkansas
"No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any court."
article 19, sect. 1 of the 1874 constitution

North Carolina
"The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God...." Constitution Article 6 Section 8

Pennsylvania
"No person who acknowledges the being of God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth".
Declaration of Rights Article 1 Section 4

Tennessee
"No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state."
Bill of Rights: Article 9 Section 4

And such provisions exist in about 5 other states.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
"No person who acknowledges the being of God and a future state of rewards and punishments shall, on account of his religious sentiments, be disqualified to hold any office or place of trust or profit under this Commonwealth".
Re-Read plz.

For the others you have to understand that they basically interpret it now as a "supreme being" or 'God' in the sense of nature.

Riewe

HSC
But another problem with this is that Creationism wouldn't take up much of a textbook space. All it will be is "A supreme being created the world and everything in it. The End" So there really isn't anything they can do with it. So it is more of a hypothetical postulate than a scientific theory.

Although i myself believe in both intelligent design and evolution being linked (creation then selection begins), i just do not think it has room for science class.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
They teach other theories which have been completely discredited, such as that of LaMarck, in the biology syllabus as a matter of showing how evolutionary thought has changed, so I don't see why creationism should not be included in the same (brief) manner.

jennylim

HSC
i think it's silly to mix science with religion. they're 2 different things. science deals with the how, religion with the why - it's possible to believe both but it's beyond me as to why they'd teach religion as an integral part of science. it makes so much more sense to teach the theory as it is since that is within the boundaries of proper science.

hmm...i may be christian right in australia but the christian right in america scares the dickens out of me.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
America has a history of being opposed to science in their schools ala Scopes Monkey trial but this to be seems like a belief system, not a fixed rational way of seeing the world.

America has puritanical roots, so we shouldn't exactly be suprised.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Examples of creationism in our own HSC Biology syllabus:

present information from secondary sources to discuss the Huxley– Wilberforce debate on Darwin’s theory of evolution
In the above dot point you are supposed to look at both perspectives of the argument and reach a conclusion.
analyse information from secondary sources on the historical development of theories of evolution and use available evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments
Again, students do at least a little research into creationism.
analyse information from secondary sources on the historical development of theories of evolution and use available evidence to assess social and political influences on these developments
If you could argue it effectively, intelligent design could easily be used for this dot point.

And the list goes on.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
They teach other theories which have been completely discredited, such as that of LaMarck, in the biology syllabus as a matter of showing how evolutionary thought has changed, so I don't see why creationism should not be included in the same (brief) manner.
The problem is that such an inclusion isn't what is being sought. They want to present a religious argument as a valid alternative to a strong scientific theory, not present it is a discredited relic from the distant past. Besides, presenting creationism as either a fundamentalist doctrine or as a valid scientific alternative in a science class doesn't make much sense given the conflict that either would cause in such a society.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
anti-mathmite said:
I believe that creationism and evolution are intertwined and are inseperable. Why is it not possible for one to be dependant on the other?

The schools should be taking a balanced approach, and introduce all theories. Maybe even the alien ones.
anti-mathmite: That is called "intelligent design" (if it was so intelligent why the fuck do I have a blind spot but octupii don't :(). It fails to allow observations to be detected. Come across something that doesn't make sense, it suddenly becomes 'it was made that way' rather then looking for an explanation and modifying the theory.

So the schools should take up my new theory that all life evolved from a coffee cup that magically appeared out of no where and all life will be sucked back into it in 2031?

Riewe

HSC
I would think that maybe a short lesson in alternatives to evolution, where pretty much all opposing thoughts are brought out, because after all, it is only a theory and not a solid fact (although some may argue it is already). There are quite a few different viewpoints, although evolution would be about the only scientific one, but it would be nice to know how others view this topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)