BUSINESS and COMMERCE (1 Viewer)

Morgues

also a friend of mine enrolled in a 70 uai course and chose subjects for a completely different degree that required a 90 uai. So when he transfers in second year he wont even be behind.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Morgues
also a friend of mine enrolled in a 70 uai course and chose subjects for a completely different degree that required a 90 uai. So when he transfers in second year he wont even be behind.
I knew someone who transfered with a sub-80 UAI to a 90-plus UAI course after just ONE semester (half a year). And he didn't even do well in his subjects - a couple of Passes and Credits.

That's MQ for ya! :D

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Most internal uni transfer systems are dodgy.... The same thing at MQ happens at UOW.... it's worth asking the uni what type of transfer system they have when choosing because if you really want to do, lets say Comm/Law at a high uai uni, do a low uai course at a diff uni, transfer course, and then transfer unis.... there's always a backdoor way to get into anything.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I think it'd be alot (alot, alot) harder at say USyd or UNSW to transfer to something like Law. But at other Unis, it's comparatively a piece of cake. :) (Too bad, I don't want to do Law.)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It is fairly difficult to transfer into UNSW Law - with a 95 UAI, u still need a better-than Distinction average
USyd Law would require a High Distinction average, again with a 95 UAI

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
If you work HARD constantly you will get Distinctions - but I stress the word constantly. That doesn't mean 1 week before the exam :)
Last semester I put in A LOT of time, and was happy with the results. Its not the more time you put into your studies, i reckon study more efficiently and you will be fine....

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, if you work consistently (as googy put it) as well as hard (doin' all the required work), it should be enough in most cases especially for Commerce. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Heh, another viewpoint - if you are of reasonable intelligence, getting distinctions in 1st yr commerce subjects isn't terribly difficult, even without studying constantly.
I crammed all my subjects within the last couple of weeks of semester before the exams and walked away with 3 High Distinctions, but I did pay attention in classes, did my tute homework - however I didnt 'study' constantly

M-THIS

whats Bacholar of Business Administration? (like how is it recongnised amoungst course like BCOMM, BBUS??? Is it seen as a secondary class course?)

Which would be better to do?:
BCOMM @ UNSW - Major in Marketing

BCOMM @ USYD - Major in Finance & Marketing

BBUS @ UTS - Major in Finance & Marketing

B Applied Finance / BCOMM (Marketing) @ Macquarie Uni

googy_1985

HSC
N/A
I have a few friends doing a BBA (bachelor of bus admin). From my knowledge it is a broader degree than say a commerce - accounting degree. With the BBA you do 'abit of everything' - you do accounting, management, law, stats...
If you want to be an accountant, do a Commerce degree. From my experience people who do BBA use it with another degree like law. It depends on what you want to do @ uni and what u r interested in!

http://www.canberra.edu.au/handbook/mantech-Degree-2.html

Check out that site, it shows an example of a BBA program - a range of different subjects. I am sure the unis in Sydney will have similiar subjects.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
...but I did pay attention in classes, did my tute homework - however I didnt 'study' constantly
But that is studyin' consistantly (comparatively)... I know heaps of people who didn't even attend class (regularly) or even attempt Tutes.

Originally posted by M-THIS
Which would be better to do?:
BCOMM @ UNSW - Major in Marketing <--- That one.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
they are basically the same
between Sydney and UNSW in Australia, different employers regard each uni's degree differently, ie company X prefer UNSW graduates while company Z prefers USyd graduates

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
... and you forgot this one: company K prefers MQ graduates. :p

toisthbe

Evil Member
ok.
in mac its very easy to transfer, they dont look at your UAI but just your first year results and you need a credit average AT MOST. For most courses even if you get a few passes they still let you transfer.

r these like rare cases..or actually really common?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Well Macquarie has a fairly odd internal transfer system, I think its just their uni which these cases happen

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Apparently other Unis besides USyd and UNSW operate under that system. Well, MQ definitely does... no wonder there isn't any respect for MQ (except for Actuarial :D). :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)