Business at another uni vs. UTS Insearch (1 Viewer)

onigiri

HSC
Hello. I want to do B Bus at UTS. I've received my UAI and its not as high as I would have expected. So I'm juggling a few options but I don't know which one is best for me to take.

1) Get into a Business course at another uni and work very hard to get very high marks to transfer after my first year of studies. But I'm worried if I do this I might not successfully transfer into UTS and I'll be stuck at another university for another year. Or if I do successfully transfer I might have to begin the course from the first year and the previous studies I did at the other uni might be meaningless.

2) Go to Insearch and get a diploma of business and commerce so I can re-apply for UTS B Business. Though its hell expensive - $6000 a semester! If you get into B Bus at UTS you'll go straight into your second year. But its not really guranteeded that you'll get into B Business if you study at insearch, is it? You have to get an average mark of 50+ (which I think would be considerably high, no?) Does anyone know how the selection at insearch into UTS is made? I think I read somewhere that it was through UAC. But I'm still very confused about advanced standing, what is it anyway?

If ppl have any other options for me to consider please state them, I'm very torn between these two paths. I was considering TAFE but I heard that it takes a very long time for TAFE -> uni and some guy who I knew had to repeat the stuff he learnt in TAFE at uni. I don't want that kind of situation happening to me.
Cheers =D

carrotz

HSC
Uni Grad
i did IT at insearch + in my last sem at uts (hopefully graduating once results are out).

you are right it isnt gauranteed you will get into uts even if you get a high mark, but you do have a better chance of getting into uts through insearch than any other parth way + it is the quickest way as well. since you will be starting 2nd yr not 1st, you wont be competing with hsc students.. with the IT faculty we wrote our names down + gave it to the dean.. and said they'll try + save us spots so we could transfer.

at insearch you do the same subjects as uts.. soo if b bus @ uts is what you really wanna do.. i think insearch is a great way to get in.

pungpui

HSC
At summer semester I've heard the lecturer say to some students that in this course we will be doing further things that we hadnt been doing before. I'm only assuming that he's taught those students before in either Insearch or Tafe (they're both right next door) and so you might actually have to repeat some subjects because they arent taught in depth at Tafe or Insearch.

So-net

HSC
回覆: Business at another uni vs. UTS Insearch

onigiri said:
Hello. I want to do B Bus at UTS. I've received my UAI and its not as high as I would have expected. So I'm juggling a few options but I don't know which one is best for me to take.

1) Get into a Business course at another uni and work very hard to get very high marks to transfer after my first year of studies. But I'm worried if I do this I might not successfully transfer into UTS and I'll be stuck at another university for another year. Or if I do successfully transfer I might have to begin the course from the first year and the previous studies I did at the other uni might be meaningless.

2) Go to Insearch and get a diploma of business and commerce so I can re-apply for UTS B Business. Though its hell expensive - $6000 a semester! If you get into B Bus at UTS you'll go straight into your second year. But its not really guranteeded that you'll get into B Business if you study at insearch, is it? You have to get an average mark of 50+ (which I think would be considerably high, no?) Does anyone know how the selection at insearch into UTS is made? I think I read somewhere that it was through UAC. But I'm still very confused about advanced standing, what is it anyway?

If ppl have any other options for me to consider please state them, I'm very torn between these two paths. I was considering TAFE but I heard that it takes a very long time for TAFE -> uni and some guy who I knew had to repeat the stuff he learnt in TAFE at uni. I don't want that kind of situation happening to me.
Cheers =D
For other Business course at another university, you might not get all exemption (so call as advanced standing) that you have studied before.....
On the other hand, for the studies at Insearch, UTS guranteeded to accept all the studied from Insearch and grant you a whole year 1 advanced standing....
But the thing is if you study at another university, the opportunity for you to transfer to other uni (non-UTS) might be a bit easier than Insearch......

I heard about one lectures saids it depends on how many year 2 HECS places that UTS will offer..... someone get 59 WAM for the 5 semesters insearch course (the marks that Insearch state is 60 WAM for eligible) still can get in to UTS B.Bus. HECS places......

Last edited:

FeelBare

HSC
Re: 回覆: Business at another uni vs. UTS Insearch

This is really confusing. I didn't get a great UAI and am of the moment considering vouching for Insearch, but I'm not sure whether I should. Basically I'm curious about:

1. The amount of workload changes in transferring from Insearch to 2nd year B.Bus. I was just reading another thread about SIBT where someone was experienced problems in the transition and got "smashed".

2. Would I really have to do an English course?

3. How many local students have benefitted from Insearch and how many haven't?

4. How hard is it to achieve a pass/credit/honours?

5. What happens to me when there are not so many year 2 HECS places, but the Diploma has already ended? (omfg.)

6. And finally, approximately how much does the FEE-HELP local student studying Business and Commerce pay more than a CSP student?

I would really appreciate if anyone already attending or has reaped some benefit from this program could help me with these questions. Thanks in advance! <33

FeelBare

HSC

Ahh I should be more clear on what I have just posted. I meant how much would a FEE-HELP local student studying Business and Commerce in INSEARCH (1st year) pay more than the CSP student studying B.Bus (1st year).

Sorry about that!

snowbunny

HSC

what uai did you get? you still may have a chance of getting it.. im hoping to do business at uts next year as well!

im not in your situation though i got 91.2 so hopefully im in unless it goes up heaps

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

FeelBare said:
5. What happens to me when there are not so many year 2 HECS places, but the Diploma has already ended? (omfg.)

6. And finally, approximately how much does the FEE-HELP local student studying Business and Commerce pay more than a CSP student?
If there are not enough places available then the people who didn't get high enough marks from their first year at uni/diploma/whatever then they won't get in. The majority of INSEARCH students get in though, so long as they maintain their WAM. INSEARCH also provides accredited Diplomas so you might be able to use your Diploma to apply for courses at other universities - though you wouldn't neccesarily gain a year's worth of credit.

The HELP is a loan from the government that allows you to defer paying your tuition until you have respectable income. With a CSP/HECS place, you pay a smaller percentage of the burden, a contribution as it were, whereas with a FEE place you would pay the entire amount. FEE paying students pay, using a rough estimate, perhaps 3 or 4 times as much for each year of tuition. It should be remembered though that you can transfer from a FEE place to a CSP one as early as a semester into the bachelor degree.

You also might want to ask more questions in this thread here as it is monitored by an INSEARCH representative.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)