• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Business Course Question (1 Viewer)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
the other day, like tuesday night, they had a doco on abc called somethin like "the men who would conquer, china" or something like that..anyways the main guy in it, the white guy, had a job which he bought companies for cheap and then restructured them and sold them off...my question is what is this called, the job title, and what kind of a course/degree could one do to attain that job..thanks

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
also, i dont have too much of an idea..but how do sub majors work..like i do Business Management, but how does it work if i wanted to submajor in another subject..like finance or HRM, do i take on more subjects durin a semester? i aint sure how it works..also is there a list of submajors on the site that u can access and the respective electives, cause i dont know them at all for my degree...anyone know

L

LaraB

Led-Zep said:
also, i dont have too much of an idea..but how do sub majors work..like i do Business Management, but how does it work if i wanted to submajor in another subject..like finance or HRM, do i take on more subjects durin a semester? i aint sure how it works..also is there a list of submajors on the site that u can access and the respective electives, cause i dont know them at all for my degree...anyone know
all you do is pick those electives.

basically - you will get a B Bus (management) due to your core units etc... then you can get the submajor if when picking your elective units, you pick units within the scope of your degree that are also within the scope of the hrm or whatever degree...

don't worry about it now though since you don't need to pick anything for awhile...

plus - you sohuldn't pick based on the major/submajor it will give you - rather on the content of the units and whether it will help in whatever career you want since most people don't give a shit what submajor you have especially if you do something like major in management and submajor in HRM since they're quite similar...

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
ok..but is there a list or somethin of electives and submajors..on the uws site? and is what ur sayin that i can randomly pick electives that i want, and not have them be in a sub major?

L

LaraB

i'd email the course coordinator

the online handbooks don't have that kinda stuff clearly 'find-able' - the old hardcopy books we used to get were sooo much better...

but yeah - email and ask - or call the student call centre and just tell em you want to know where the electives can come from..

most courses - they can come from wherever pretty much... so what you'd do if you wanna sub major in HRM, if there is not recommended list of units, is just look at the HRM degree and pick the units in tehre that you didn't do as part of your degree..

but i'm assuming there is a recommended sequence

L

LaraB

natstar said:
I know what you mean- they acquire companies. I'd go with international management style units.
and/or HRM/ir units since those guys more or less run the companies - you do the hiring, firing, recruiting, direct the marketing dudes... basically - you know EVERYTHING! that the company's doing - even more so than CEOs etc do:p

L

LaraB

if you still wanna know about majoring/submajoring in HRM i have a link for you thati just remembered -

http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.asp?course=2550.1

scroll down to the bottom and it lists units you need to do to get a submajor in HRM if you are doing another course.

I am assuming its the same for other courses - so say, you want info about a submajor in marketing, go to the course http://handbook.uws.edu.au and search for the relevant course and just scroll down to the bottom

hope this helps with your questions abouto unit choices:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)