business degree (1 Viewer)

Hiya_la

What is the difference of undertakin a bachelor of business at UTS or a commerce degree elsewhere.
Are commerce degrees just more general?
because i would love to combine bachelor of business with arts. so i can major in international business and international studies...
but im tossin up between commerce/arts or a business degree...
yeh wat r the main differences?
please help
thanks in advance

ShAdow_FaX

HSC
hey i was wondering exactly the same thing!!!!! its a toss up betwene b business at uts or commerce at syd....can someone pls help us out here???????

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
errrm i think at unsw there are 6 compulsory unit thingys (accounting, micro/macro and some quantitative thing), so it gives you 2 left to do your major sequence dealie things. whereas the business degree you won't pick anything in first year, and you get a taste of most of the stuff you can major in.

Dingo

Banned
i rather business at uts, coz its easy access.
u dont hafto travel as much.
and its in the city. great venue.. lots of chicks to pick up .
and im talkin about school chicks at the bus stop... boy those sydney girls in brown uniform short skirts look hot..

peace^^

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Business at UTS is USYD's equivalent commerce degree. You will notice that the Technology universities have modernised their course names and called it a Business degree.

princess_neko

HSC
They're the same thing, just different in names.

with usyd commerce, i heard from my friend over there that you have to do 12 core subjects. (i'm not so sure with the figures, coz i think it depends on what you wanted to major in later on) so you have to spend your first three semesters doing cores. With uts business, you only need to do 8 core subjects - you can do them in your first two semesters (i.e. first year).

and also, i think with usyd commerce, you can only double it with certain degrees, e.g.: b commerce/economics. so, for those who wanted to double it with arts, i think you better check first if usyd offers that. As far as I know, uts tend to be quite flexible for doubling degrees. But again, you should check that in the uac handbook/ the university handbook and see if those degrees are offered.

i'm a uts business student, and i find that uts is much more flexible in terms of teaching and the subjects content. no one cares if you don't attend the lectures or tutorials (some aren't even compulsory to attend). this is much different in usyd i think. i heard from my friend that the lecturers in particular place strict importance on discipline, and you will fail the subjects if you don't attend 80% or 90% of your tutes.

as for the timetables, again, it's very flexible with uts. you enrol the subjects, choose your lectures and tute times, as long as they aren't full. this is different with usyd where they actually randomly make the timetable for you and you have to go up to them to ask for a better timetable :s

well, regardless of what i've mentioned above, i think those 2 unis are great for business/commerce degrees...

good luck on your choices!

Lilyy

HSC
You can't combine Arts (or whatever UTS calls it) with Business. (Atleast I couldn't)
I'm currently studying Business at UTS, my core units are similar to my friends who are studying Commerce at UNSW.

HSC
You can't combine Arts (or whatever UTS calls it) with Business. (Atleast I couldn't)
I'm currently studying Business at UTS, my core units are similar to my friends who are studying Commerce at UNSW.
there's b business/b arts in international studies. but that's only really useful if you want to do languages/international business.

Lilyy

HSC
there's b business/b arts in international studies. but that's only really useful if you want to do languages/international business.
Yeah forgot about that @_@"
But I kind of meant like Arts as in the way other universities offer it. Like global economics, politics, history etc.

HSC
Yeah forgot about that @_@"
But I kind of meant like Arts as in the way other universities offer it. Like global economics, politics, history etc.
yeah i get what you mean, you can only really do language with arts in int'l studies. i find it so weird that uts doesn't even really have a straight arts degree... either that or it just eludes me when i do a course search.

Japanese_rambo

HSC
N/A
Business/Commerce degrees are virtually the same at all uni's from ACU to Sydney, Melb to Queensland.

You do your mandatory first year stats, marketing, management, acounting etc.. then you do major subjects, sub majors etc.. same stuff.

I came from UWS, to SYD and now last stop where I want to be at UTS near my house finally. All my subjects got accepted everywhere, from everywhere. So my degree I only last half a year of time even amongst all 3..

So from experience I can say they are the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)