Business/IT at UTS to Commerce/CompSci at UNSW (1 Viewer)

Plonker

HSC
Hey guys!

I'm currently studying a Business and IT double degree at UTS and after next week will have completed 1.5 years of my degree. I've received an offer for Commerce/CompSci at UNSW and was hoping that I could get some extra opinions over whether I should transfer.

Do you think it's worth transferring to the more difficult course at UNSW even though I'll lose time since I won't get credit for everything? After checking course outlines for everything, I'm estimating I'll only be able to get credit for 4 of my 12 subjects completed, so I've essentially lost a year.

What's troubling me is I would like to leave the option open for doing post grad study and maybe a PhD, and I feel like UNSW might be better for that? Also, I have to say that I've been really disappointed with the level of study at UTS so far. Most Business and IT subjects have felt far too easy and poorly structured except for a few which have impressed me. I want to come out of my degree feeling like I know what I'm doing and would genuinely be a great hire for an employer. But then again, would it be better for me to just graduate earlier and enter the workforce a year earlier?

So yeah that's a bit of my internal dialogue, please give me your thoughts.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
You can always just change institution when you do your postgrad - you don't have to stay at UTS/UNSW or whatever. However, if you intend to do postgrad at UNSW, then doing your undergrad there has the added benefit of knowing the lecturers/professors and building connections. E.g. When I applied to do PhD at USYD, getting accepted was just a formality since I was going to be supervised by the same professors that I did my undergrad honours research with.

In regards to coming out of your degree feeling like you know what you're doing - yeah nah, you learn from scratch when you hit the workforce. You'll likely feel the same way as you do now even if you went to UNSW. As long as you know the fundamentals, you're fine. In the end, you apply about 5% of the stuff you learn at uni, so it doesn't really matter if you forget most of the more complicated stuff, since you can just re-learn on the job.

astroman

HSC
I'm currently studying a Business and IT double degree at UTS and after next week will have completed 1.5 years of my degree. I've received an offer for Commerce/CompSci at UNSW and was hoping that I could get some extra opinions over whether I should transfer.
1.5 years is almost a third of your degree, don't overestimate the credit recognition you will get if you do choose to transfer to UNSW. Sure it's a more prestigious university but does that really matter in the grand scheme of things? Depending on what you want to be doing for a career, I'd say finish what you started then look at doing further study like a masters at UNSW.
Do you think it's worth transferring to the more difficult course at UNSW even though I'll lose time since I won't get credit for everything? After checking course outlines for everything, I'm estimating I'll only be able to get credit for 4 of my 12 subjects completed, so I've essentially lost a year.
No, you will waste all your time that you spent at UTS. Think if you could graduate a year early, that gives you a lot of time to job hunt, apply for further study, travel, work, do internships, apply for grad jobs, etc. Time is precious so my opinion is to continue on at UTS.

What's troubling me is I would like to leave the option open for doing post grad study and maybe a PhD, and I feel like UNSW might be better for that? Also, I have to say that I've been really disappointed with the level of study at UTS so far. Most Business and IT subjects have felt far too easy and poorly structured except for a few which have impressed me. I want to come out of my degree feeling like I know what I'm doing and would genuinely be a great hire for an employer. But then again, would it be better for me to just graduate earlier and enter the workforce a year earlier?
Why not do a masters at UNSW after completing the bachelors at UTS? Also, you say the course is easy, I would assume that's a good thing? My thinking says that it's better to be coming first at a subject amongst your peers that may be struggling as opposed to being above average amongst already really intelligent students. Also, depending on what career you want, I say it's honestly much better to have experience as opoosed to an education in today's society. There's an influx of graduates and many often lack experience so they spend months to find jobs only to start from square 1, often doing grad jobs and having to work their way up the ladder. Stick to your degree, do internships during Summer and get in the workforce as soon as you can, the point of a degree ultimateley is to get a job, and by putting it off for a year, you're only going to be missing out.

Ultimately it's up to you, if you do transfer to UNSW, I'm sure you can catch up on subjects by doing them over summer if they're offered.

RyanT7

HSC
What was your WAM at the point of assessment and the ATAR you received if you don't mind me asking ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)