Business marketing (1 Viewer)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
I'm considering scrapping my cert IV in advertising and taking on Business (Marketing) instead so i'll graduate with a double degree - BA(VisComm)/BBus(Mktg).

Is this a good move? (personally i think it is, a double degree is worth more employment-wise and distance ed. really isn't my thing)

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who are currently doing business marketing and what they think of it.

Thanks!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah that's what i thought. starting the advertising cert. was useful for one reason: it helped me realise that marketing is a very interesting area, which would be more usefully studied as a degree, especially with viscomm.

i guess some general business subs within the degree will be boring (introductory accounting, for one) but oh weeeell... all adds to knowledge! :D

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
argh!! oh well. i suppose the pain is worth it in the end.

NonExistant

Don't read this sentance.
HSC
There is no point doing a broader degree if you hate or suck at the additional areas it encompasses, such as statistical analysis and consumer analysation.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yeah it's a tough one. i got a reasonable mark in HSC business studies (85 overall). So it wouldn't be a matter of not being capable. Just a matter of evaluating whether doing the extra time (and money) is worth it.

I guess my only fear is it will distract from Visual Communication, which is what i REALLY want to focus on. So perhaps marketing would only broaden prospects for positions that i'm not 100% suitable for?

Thanks for your responses anyway, i will continue thinking about it. :)

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
yup. and good marketing is also an inherent part of visual communication, as i've discovered!

/RANT: I've been reading web articles on how it's important for designers to have a good knowledge of marketing and business skills in order to succeed particularly in self-employment and management of a design business. Some design professionals think design schools pay too much attention to design as a 'craft' and neglect business and marketing skills, leaving many design graduates floundering when they find themselves in the real world. (Remembering that designers have to consider the client's marketing objectives when developing a design concept, or even help clients formulate their objectives, strategy and 'mix' if they don't know) - so an additional degree in marketing could prove highly beneficial! /END RANT.

In sum, if i did BBus(mktg), it would simply be supportive, not alternative to VisComm. I think i might just do it. ;)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
chookyn said:
I'm considering scrapping my cert IV in advertising and taking on Business (Marketing) instead so i'll graduate with a double degree - BA(VisComm)/BBus(Mktg).

Is this a good move? (personally i think it is, a double degree is worth more employment-wise and distance ed. really isn't my thing)

I'm particularly interested in hearing from people who are currently doing business marketing and what they think of it.

Thanks!
Can i just say.... that sounds sooooooooooooo impressive.... like if i saw that in a resume... i'de be like whoaaaaa.. HIRE HIRE HIRE HIRE! sounds better than a plain

B Business (marketing)
as opposed to a
BA (VisComm)/BBus(Mktg)
Now tell me the latter doesn't sound more impressive!

(no offence to the pple doing a plain Business degree... i would probably be doing a plain business degree if i wasn't soo interested in psyche)

if it was a marketing position..... i'de definately definately choose you, it definately stands out

NonExistant

Don't read this sentance.
HSC
Sub majors don't appear on your official graduation certificate though. ALso in combined degrees rarely do you do a sub-major, the other units are filled by the other course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)