Business @ Sydney (1 Viewer)

miss jaz

Where's Jeff?
HSC
hey, im interested in doing a business course @ Sydney Uni, does anyone know if there is such a thing?? I've checked USYD website, but there doesnt seem to be a business course- which seems a bit obsurd...

thanks...

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Yep there are, the business degree(s) offered at USYD aren't called Bachelor of Business. We title them differently.
USyd offers:
B Commerce- which is pretty much a B Business which u find at other uni's.
B Economics- similar to a B Commerce, but u have to major in an economics major.

There is also a B Agricultural Economics and B Economics as a Social Science, which u may want to investigate further.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
what would be better, commerce liberal studies or commerce?
i still don't understand why there are two types of commerce courses and why they have a 2 UAI point difference between them...

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
a straight commerce degree is 3 years
in first year you have to do 6 compulsory units and 2 electives, 2nd and 3rd year you complete your majors

for commerce (liberal studies) it's 4 years
you study whatever commerce units you want, as long as you complete enough for your degree
and you also take arts and science units, and you can choose to major in them as well

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
chardie2 said:
Is the commerce degree really accounting based?
Not really, you have to do 2 compulsory Introductory accounting subjects for 1st year, Accounting 1A and Accounting 1B. But after that, if you don't want to major in accounting, then you can choose to major in anything you want.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yeh in the straight commerce degree you have to study accounting in your first year. it's not that bad but the degree is 3 years so you spend 1/3 of it in the deep woods of accounting land, where there is no daylight and boredom roams freely sucking any humanity out of you

i took accounting 1A last semester and i've learnt my lesson and i will never touch that stuff again. i hope you can all learn from my mistake and run while you still can

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
You're missing out on all the fun that comes with Accounting 1B toods! :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Suvat said:
You're missing out on all the fun that comes with Accounting 1B toods! :p
OMG are u serz scut??? i absolutely hated 1b....

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I gather Mikes Bikes is your practice set

If you understand it and do it well, it'd come real handy in the final exam

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
Minai said:
I gather Mikes Bikes is your practice set

If you understand it and do it well, it'd come real handy in the final exam
Luckily it's not our practice set. We did a practice set for ACCT 1A, but we don't have a practice set for 1B.

But yeh, Mikes Bikes is " a business simulation ", its an simulation/game where u and ur team members (you're in a team) manage a company. You basically operate a theoretical bicycle company against other teams in your tutorial, and u make sales/marketing, operations/production, finance and R+D decisions.
It's designed to "develop our management accounting skills", where we have to develop strategies (differentiation, cost leadership etc) and implement decisions.

But the simulation/game has been pretty fun, really made the course more enjoyable.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hey we never got something like that last year!
props to USyd's school of accounting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)