BUSS1001-any advice? (1 Viewer)

STUDY SMART

HSC
I was wondering if any of you guys knew anyone who had done the buss1001 waiver test that all commerce students seem to need to do? Any tips to pass cause apparently I need to do the test at o week and if i pass I don't need to do the lecture or tutorial of it thus only have to go to uni for 2 days. 7.5 hour days though haha. Also is buss1001 that helpful, a few guys I have spoken to said its pretty useless?

Accelerant

HSC
But I think its a test of whether you can speak fluent English or not. This Professor of Engineering told me but I might be wrong.

jenslekman

HSC
Basically if you're fluent with English you don't need to prepare and you'll pass - it's really to pick out international students with subpar writing/comprehension skills.

Also, #techies4lyfe #respectthetekk

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
I was wondering if any of you guys knew anyone who had done the buss1001 waiver test that all commerce students seem to need to do? Any tips to pass cause apparently I need to do the test at o week and if i pass I don't need to do the lecture or tutorial of it thus only have to go to uni for 2 days. 7.5 hour days though haha. Also is buss1001 that helpful, a few guys I have spoken to said its pretty useless?
The 'test' is for BUSS1900 - a unit mainly targeted at international students who may struggle with english - and consequently struggle with BUSS1001 (essay based unit - like hsc economics/business studies, expect its cases e.g. KFC in a particular country - you have to analyse their strategy and propose how to face opportunities/risk etc etc).
Most people were unaware of the test in my cohort tbh lol, it's basically just writing. Can you write a paragraph in english that makes sense (if you did the HSC, the answer is yes)? If you can, you passed and will be withdrawn from BUSS1900. I suggest you do it anyway - its 0 credit point. I went to a couple (If you fail the test, you have to go to all of them).

In retrospect, BUSS1001 was a good unit. The first essay was basically a slap to most people's confidence - but it gets better.
Is it useful for an accounting or finance major? no. Will employers be impressed if you topped BUSS1001? probably not (relative to say, BUSS1040 or BUSS1020). I think that's what the people you spoke to meant.

Lopemann

HSC
Is it easy to get good marks for this unit of study?
Many of my friends told me it's just being so hard and they are even worrying about it everyday...

_pikachu

HSC
i done it last year
got 63
i failed my first case study, i then went to pass and studied harder, marks became a pass
moral: study and/or go to pass if you think you need help

ps: if the lecturer didnt tell you
almost 40% failed the unit in my year (sem 1, 2013) and almost 50% failed the exam

Kandahar, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
HSC
Uni Grad
The waiver test is to weed out international students with bad English skills. I did it myself but as I'm a domestic student it was really easy.
I think the high failure rate is due to the high number of international students AND/OR the 3 hr final exam.

milkytea99

HSC
The waiver test is to weed out international students with bad English skills. I did it myself but as I'm a domestic student it was really easy.
I think the high failure rate is due to the high number of international students AND/OR the 3 hr final exam.
+1. If you can bs 2 pages in 30 minutes, then you will pass it. I saw some internationals in my class who only wrote like a few sentences, obviously they'll be the ones who fail this waiver test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)