Bussiness management? (1 Viewer)

RedStz

True Scorpian
I've been thinking about what i want to do in uni for the past few weeks and it's DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!
My goal used to be doing combined law degree at SydUni, but then, realising that it means another 5yrs of HSC...I suppose i am considering to do it as a postgraduate. So now i am stuck between Commerce, Economics or Bussiness
Since i prefer a career in the business managment or managment direction, anyone have ANY IDEA which course is most suitable???and perhaps which UNI?
Share your experiences and opinions people
DAmn and i think Usyd and UNSW dont offer business course?

RedStz

True Scorpian
Besides that is there anything else?
I mean I was looking at the course Commerce @ Syd Uni
and one of the major is management, what specific type of managment are they refering to?!?!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
U can do Management at UNSW!

do a Bachelor of Commerce and combine Management with a discipline such as Accounting, Finance, Human Resource Mgmt, Marketing etc

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
wow everyone seems to want to do Business and be fight for the job of CEO of the same big companies lol.

But yeah, MQ, UNSW or USyd are good, just choose which is closest or which you'd be willing to travel to.

RedStz

True Scorpian
well thankx guys, i want to do course at syd uni and 2nd preference is probably UNSW, but what's troubling me is how they dont have the course with the actual name of "business"
so that's why i am asking around to see if Commerce offers approximatly the same thing on management as the course business Adm

FunkyFlava

Psycho@UNSW
HSC
i actualy thikn "Commerce" sounds better than "Business" lol. I think UTS has a B Business if I remember correctly.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Commerce and Business degrees are esentially the same thing, just different names, and mayb a few different subjects. Just remember, its unlikely u'll get a job as a top CEO or manager as a graduate - so its better to combine a major in Management with another professional discipline such as accounting, finance, human resource mgmt etc

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by MinAi
Commerce and Business degrees are esentially the same thing, just different names, and mayb a few different subjects. Just remember, its unlikely u'll get a job as a top CEO or manager as a graduate - so its better to combine a major in Management with another professional discipline such as accounting, finance, human resource mgmt etc
Human Resource mangement? what does that involve?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
quote: "HRM is concerned with developing policies and implementing processes involved in managing people in the modern workplace"

kini mini

HSC
Although I would ultimately like to be a manager as well, I don't see how you can start out that way - a lot of management skills come with experience IMO. If you really want to do management, by all means do a M.Com or MBA, but no-one is going to employ you as a manager right out of uni so you might as well study something with more immediate use :).

RedStz

True Scorpian
Originally posted by MinAi
quote: "HRM is concerned with developing policies and implementing processes involved in managing people in the modern workplace"
i thought that's meant to be part of the "bussiness mangmt" or "mangmet" major

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by RedStz

i thought that's meant to be part of the "bussiness mangmt" or "mangmet" major
no, this is part of Human Resource Management major
the Management major is different @ UNSW (but pretty similar - run by the same faculty)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
Besides that is there anything else?
I mean I was looking at the course Commerce @ Syd Uni
and one of the major is management, what specific type of managment are they refering to?!?!
i applied for and got into b management at usyd. the reson i didnt take it was because it is only offered at the orange campus! if you are really wanting to do it, it is available tho

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
Commerce at Sydney offers majors in IR/HRM, management and management science, and you can have one major or a double.

http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au

There's information in the faculty handbook about what units of study are involved in each major.

The management and IR/HRM majors are similar except that you have a wider choice of units in the management major, such as units from economic history, economics, governmenet relations and work studies while IR/HRM units are just from work and organisational studies.

Management science is like statistics econometrics and stuff.

What's interesting is that there is an option in the IR/HRM major at usyd to do a practical unit of study, some work experience.

And kini mini's right about experience. The former head of Coles started out working at Coles when he was 15, and worked his way up for 45 years and he did not go to uni. I don't think he even finished high school. I know a lot of companies like Coles or Kmart run management trainee thingys where you train to be a manager (and get a certificate 3 or 4 or something in management) and get the paid work experience at the same time. It's a full time job though.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
So now i am stuck between Commerce, Economics or Bussiness
Since i prefer a career in the business managment or managment direction, anyone have ANY IDEA which course is most suitable???and perhaps which UNI?
Share your experiences and opinions people
DAmn and i think Usyd and UNSW dont offer business course?

hey, Im doing business/law.

so far Ive found business to a be very boring and tedious. I would have much preferred economics, but apparently if you stick with business, once you get to choose your electives it get much better.
Id say aim for usyd ecos/law, but think about your other options in case you dont make the cutoff.

RedStz

True Scorpian
Yeah I know business is boring :mad1: and that's why i drop the subject in yr11. on the bottom line, i want to study law, but knowing that i have little chance of making into usyd combined law degree, that's why i am looking for other options *heard that law course was really challenging???* Well alot of friends who are doing law told me to do it as postgraduate, well i dont know.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Well alot of friends who are doing law told me to do it as postgraduate, well i dont know.
yeah, but then when you think about it, will you definitely go back and do it, or will you be over uni by then and just want to earn money by then? Besides doing combined law means that you do a year less than post grad, and once you in all you have to is pass...but if you do post grad, you have to get something like a credit average? Before they will let you in.

RedStz

True Scorpian
that's very true, the bottom line comes down to UAI!!!!! >.< Dont know what's the UAI cut off for law in syduni this year, probably 99.75 I think >.<
*I probably can get that mark if i was performing the way i was in yr11, but no way i can get that now at the moment, well hope miracles DO happen*

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Think about the other unis that offer law though. Like I was fully set for usyd or unsw...so I never really bothered looking at other unis and their courses, except for the Queensland unis (really wanted to go their, but missed the qtac date).

But like I think a lot of the other Sydney unis are really good for law, like uts.

What Im also saying is dont put pressure on yourself. I fully believe I bothered doing work at all last year...lots of the people doing law transferred in by getting a credit after making it a course that had a really low uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)