buying a desktop computer - what can i expect to pay? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
- and where would you recommend to go?

basically i want to buy a computer soon to use pretty much for storing music, uni work, internet, and thats it. i dont need anything amazingly flashy, just a good computer with decent capabilities. i dont know ANYTHING about what this might cost, or where i should start looking - though i've been warned against Dell. can anyone help me out?

p.s no macs!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
How much do you know about Pc's?
How big of a HDD (hardrive) you need? Amount of RAM, etc

If you want us to pretty much build you a PC we will need quite a bit more info supplied like the components specs you want, monitor type and size, what programs you intend to run, etc

asscookie

dork.
HSC
There's nothing wrong with Dell if you just need a computer to do the basics.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
asscookie said:
There's nothing wrong with Dell if you just need a computer to do the basics.
Yeah there is they massively rip you off & use second rate compentents. They also have shit servicing

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
yeah no dell

i really dont know much about PC's, like as in numbers wise, or how the space works.

i would have at least like 5 gig of mp3's, at all times, so i dunno if that means anything

all i do is download music and use the internet and do my assignments on it.. i dunno what else to tell you

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Korn said:
Yeah there is they massively rip you off & use second rate compentents. They also have shit servicing
I agree about the shit servicing, but Compaq and HP computers aren't really that much better. Of course you could get a better computer with the amount of money you'd pay for a Dell, but not everyone has the time or expertise to bother having one built.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
asscookie said:
I agree about the shit servicing, but Compaq and HP computers aren't really that much better. Of course you could get a better computer with the amount of money you'd pay for a Dell, but not everyone has the time or expertise to bother having one built.
I was actually trying to get her to identify the components she needs so the BoS techheads can design her a true custom PC, not one of those Compaq, Dell, etc type of customised PC's.
..................................................................................................................

Okay sugar do you need a monitor or have you got one that you still want to use, if no what type and size do you need (CRT is bulky and squarish, LCD is flatscreen)?
What OS will you be using (Windows, etc)?
Do you watch movies, play games or do graphics work on your PC?
How many speakers do you want?
How much do you want to spend?
Do you have a mouse & keyboard that are in good nick and are relatively new?
Do you need a DVD burner, DVD player, CD burner, floppy disk drive?
How many USB devices do you own or are intending to buy?
Do you have a printer, if so what type of connection is it (if you dont know either post pic or describe it) ?
Do you have a scanner or joystick, will need same info as for printer.
Do you have a current PC? If so what dont you like about it and what are the specs on it (Yuo will need to tell us what OS & version ur running)?
Do you have aircon where you live? (Yes i know this sounds weirds but it is important to determine what coolong system you need)
What software do you need or do you just need the hardware?
You may or may not need to tell us what general area or suburb u live in so we can tell you the closest store to buy from!
What MS Office programs do you need, as their are different levels of Office.
Do you want commercial antivirus/antispyware software?
How good do you want the sound to be playing from your PC?
How many programs do you usually have running at the same time?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
geez... what's wrong with dell? they make great high quality systems.

you you want to buy from local computer store, I'd be more worried about shoddy parts. But advantage is that it is easy to bring it back to get fixed.

for the computer your looking for, pay no more than $1800 for computer with 17" LCD.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
i will want a new monitor, maybe about... 17" i gues??? im not really bothered

will be using Windows XP Professional
dont watch movies or play games (generally) but occasionally mess around in photoshop.. but nothing really intense
normal speakers is fine
dont want to spend more than like.. 1700
i want a new mouse, keyboard etc
i dont need dvd stuff, but would like a regular cd rom and cd burner
have 3 usb devices
printer is like this massive port, i dunno what it is, its a vertical rectangle, biggest plug on the back of the computer :)
wont have air con
have a current PC yes, really just kinda fits the description of what im giving here, but i wont have access to it come a month from now, so i need a new PC/
Office - Excel, frontpage, ms word, powerpoint would be good, others arent strictly necassary
dont need commercial antivirus, AVG is enough for me
not bothered by sound quality/speakers
usually have two or three programs going at once .. actually probably way more. e.g MSN, firefox, a couple of file sharing ones, + occasionally MS word/ acrobat reader if im doing an assignment

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
geez... what's wrong with dell? they make great high quality systems.

you you want to buy from local computer store, I'd be more worried about shoddy parts. But advantage is that it is easy to bring it back to get fixed.

for the computer your looking for, pay no more than $1800 for computer with 17" LCD.
I was planning on getting the specs then recommending sites to check out, like ARC, Cworld, harris, etc

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
ok, if your sure you don't want dell.

My suggestion is to go to local computer store and get a detailed quote for a computer (down to specific model numbers)

reqest minimum:
1gig ram (will be needed for next windows)
80gb Harddrive
17" LCD

then post the exact specs here and we can give you advice on what should be changed if anything.

remember to get model numbers, it makes a big difference

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
spin spin sugar said:
i will want a new monitor, maybe about... 17" i gues??? im not really bothered

will be using Windows XP Professional
dont watch movies or play games (generally) but occasionally mess around in photoshop.. but nothing really intense
normal speakers is fine
dont want to spend more than like.. 1700
i want a new mouse, keyboard etc
i dont need dvd stuff, but would like a regular cd rom and cd burner
have 3 usb devices
printer is like this massive port, i dunno what it is, its a vertical rectangle, biggest plug on the back of the computer :)
wont have air con
have a current PC yes, really just kinda fits the description of what im giving here, but i wont have access to it come a month from now, so i need a new PC/
Office - Excel, frontpage, ms word, powerpoint would be good, others arent strictly necassary
dont need commercial antivirus, AVG is enough for me
not bothered by sound quality/speakers
usually have two or three programs going at once .. actually probably way more. e.g MSN, firefox, a couple of file sharing ones, + occasionally MS word/ acrobat reader if im doing an assignment
Okay I would say you need 256-512Mb RAM OEM
about 2 fans OEM
MS Office 2003 Student & Teacher Edition (you need ur student ID to buy) OEM
MS Frontpage isnt included in MS Office 2003 OEM
Your Printer sounds like a parellel port, so we need to pick a Case & motherboard that accomodates that
I would say u might need a 64MB Graphics card AGPx8 OEM (Either GeForce OR Raddeon)
Samsung 52x32x52 OEM
SONY 52X CDROM OEM
You should buy Logitech Mouse and Keyboard package OEM or individually (Do they need to be wireless?)
Windows XP Pro OEM
40-80GB 7200RPM Hardrive (Western Digital)
Case: Powerhouse OR OMNI brands
CPU: Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
Motherboard: Asus OR Gigabyte
Speakers: Creative SBS 260 OR Altec Lansing AVS200

If you are planning on getting new software I would do so when getting the PC as you can get a discount if you buy OEM

Ppl's if im incorrect or missing something plz inform and correct

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Asquithian said:
Your local computer shop can do that for 800 bucks (without monitor). So around a grand for a decent unit with LCD.

Really your average home destop is easy to service. Most computer stores will offer 5 years on parts...and nothing on the software. Why? Because if the software stuffs iup you just reinstall it.

As for computer service ask your local computer nerd or some of the guys on this forum.

All the computer service I've done on my computer has been all based on internet tutorials and help from other people.
5yr warranty on parts? Do you mean on selected parts or all of them, Cause I think I have lifetime garranty on my RAM, 3yrs on my monitor, various other warranty around 1yr on most other things and 5yrs on my mouse

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Geez Korn, stop pretending you know everything. Spin Spin isnt a computer enthuisiast, and would probably benefit from the warranty and service of dell. Dell have decent servicing, im not sure what experiences you have had, but mine were fine.

Dell do have pretty good deals also. Imo I wouldnt bother building a computer.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
velox said:
Geez Korn, stop pretending you know everything. Spin Spin isnt a computer enthuisiast, and would probably benefit from the warranty and service of dell. Dell have decent servicing, im not sure what experiences you have had, but mine were fine.

Dell do have pretty good deals also. Imo I wouldnt bother building a computer.
Im trying to help her out and save her some $$ in the process.
Have you ever called Dell, alot of their call centres are in foreign countries so that can be a barrier with different accents.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Asquithian said:
Yep local computer shop for around a grand

Dell for about 1200 plus a few 'freebies'

Service is no big deal. Computers dont really go wrong unless your treat them badly. Hardware problems can be solved by consulting a computer nerd or by doing it yourself or getting a computer nerd to do it.
True, i dont think i have ever had to personally take a PC to get serviced by a company. If somethin goes terribly wrong I have mates that are IT guys that can fix it

sunny

meh.
HSC
Korn said:
Im trying to help her out and save her some $$ in the process.
Have you ever called Dell, alot of their call centres are in foreign countries so that can be a barrier with different accents.
I agree with jm. For the non computer enthusiast, or someone that doesn't have any special requirements in mind, I think the Dell pre-built machines are great for what they provide. As mentioned, they occasionally have specials that are quite a bargain.

The hassle you will go through (if you are unexperienced with it) of making a custom built machine will be well worth the extra money you might pay Dell to have a machine built, loaded with software, and delivered to your door knowing it will work.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
ive just heard that you pay a bit more at Dell than if you go to a local computer shop, thats why im not interested. i dont care about service, i know how to reformat my computer and 9 times out of 10 that will solve any major probs.

thanks for all the help guys

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
sunny said:
I agree with jm. For the non computer enthusiast, or someone that doesn't have any special requirements in mind, I think the Dell pre-built machines are great for what they provide. As mentioned, they occasionally have specials that are quite a bargain.

The hassle you will go through (if you are unexperienced with it) of making a custom built machine will be well worth the extra money you might pay Dell to have a machine built, loaded with software, and delivered to your door knowing it will work.
Yeah, ur right that if they are wary they should go that way, but I was thinking that we could work out what parts she needs and then come up with a list of things she needs. and tell her where to compare prices at to get the cheapest price from the most reputable store

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
The people to listen to in this thread are Sunny and jm1234567890, the others are just clueless.

Korn sugessted WD drives, when seagate are clearly better, having the 5yr warranty. Im not sure 40gb drives are even sold anymore. And why would you add a dvd burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)