Byron Bay - a lot of schoolies were robbed there (1 Viewer)

dof

HSC
I just want to warn other schoolies that while the scenery at Byron is lovely, not only is the accommodation really expensive, but there is also a lot of theft. IN the week we went, most students were robbed - either their apartments were broken into, or items stolen from their belongings and cars. The police told us that organised gangs simply wait for schoolies to turn up and its "like shooting fish in a barrel". The Suffolk Park area was really bad with at least one from every group of students we know staying there being robbed.
Do not imagine that Byron is inhabited by 'peace loving hippies' - the townsfolk are not very nice - they want your money and not you, so we were also yelled at by the locals "F**k Off, schoolies" etc.
SOmething to think about if you're planning on going next year.

jimmayyy

HSC
i didnt experience any of this crap. none of my or my mates shit was stolen and the locals we partied with were friendly as hell.

brows

HSC
jimmayyy said:
i didnt experience any of this crap. none of my or my mates shit was stolen and the locals we partied with were friendly as hell.
same here

Smart Alec

HSC
I have a story:
My and my mates stayed at byron for 5 nights(2 cabins, 4 per cabin) starting the first day of december. on the 4th night at 2am some guy on acid walks into one of our accidentally unlocked cabins and lights a toilet roll on fire in the bathroom which then burnt down half the bathroom vanity, causing thick, probably toxic,smoke to fill the cabin, where two of my mates were fast asleep, another mate soon walked in, couldnt see a metre in front of him because of the smoke. called the police etc. the next day our $1000 bond was taken. :( o yeah, the smoke alarms werent working so the two that were sleeping in there could have serious injuries if my other mate didnt get them out. moral of the story, lock ur cabins and do NOT stay at Belongil Fields caravan park!

wu89

HSC
Smart Alec said:
I have a story:
My and my mates stayed at byron for 5 nights(2 cabins, 4 per cabin) starting the first day of december. on the 4th night at 2am some guy on acid walks into one of our accidentally unlocked cabins and lights a toilet roll on fire in the bathroom which then burnt down half the bathroom vanity, causing thick, probably toxic,smoke to fill the cabin, where two of my mates were fast asleep, another mate soon walked in, couldnt see a metre in front of him because of the smoke. called the police etc. the next day our $1000 bond was taken. :( o yeah, the smoke alarms werent working so the two that were sleeping in there could have serious injuries if my other mate didnt get them out. moral of the story, lock ur cabins and do NOT stay at Belongil Fields caravan park!
you could report the caravan park to the authorities about the smoke alarms not working etc if that makes you feel better about losing your $1000 bond.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
i didnt get anything stolen. some locals were wankers but some were ok too.

probably better schoolies locations, but worse too

Smart Alec

HSC
wu89 said:
you could report the caravan park to the authorities about the smoke alarms not working etc if that makes you feel better about losing your $1000 bond.
yeah my mates dad's solicitor is getting in contact with them hehe

flappinghippo

HSC
Smart Alec said:
I have a story:

Holy shit I was at the same place as you.

That whole shebang was seriously the most retarded thing in the world. It was a series of irrational shit tossing incidents between groups of young men.

The actual moral of the story is, hope you and your male mates don't stay near other groups of guys, and if you do, make love, not war. It really sours the whole experience for no fucking reason at all otherwise.

HSC
it's the fuckin' locals, man .. it happens at splendour too, dickhead local teenagers jump the fence and run around abusing everyone like "get the fuck out of our town!" and steal shit out of peoples' tents while they're off watching music.

it's retarded. a bunch of my friends had stuff stolen in byron at schoolies, and both years i've been to splendour people i know have had shit taken from their tents/cars at splendour.

petro283

USYD '10
HSC
I stayed at Suffolk Park for week 2 and didn't hear a peep out of anyone. A taxi driver on the way there told us that the night before we got there 2 schoolies guys got stabbed, so we were freaking out), during the week we were there we caught about 25 taxi's into Byron, and saw about 3 people during this time. So we must have got a good run.

letsfindlara

HSC
I went up there on the 3rd week, met three different groups of people that lived in houses in suffolk park for that week, and every single one of them was robbed at least once over the course of that week! met a couple of people staying in the town that were robbed too. all the local young teenagers (like random 15 year old kids) that come and try and crash parties and start trouble are absolute shit heads. but asides from all those problems, the place itself is beautiful and we had a great time, personally had no worries with keeping belongings, but yea... if you're heading up there, watch out for your goods!

Hayley.L

HSC
thanks for this, its good to hear bad and good stuff :)
im heading there this year, i'll strap my wallet to my stomach with lots of sticky tape then lets see these local wipper snappers get to it!:p

yahuh

HSC
few

Hey thanks so much for the warning, i was about to book a house to stay in over that time but i read this and have thought twice about it. thanks heaps!! its a pity so many people are like that, no respect.

cal-

Banned
HSC
Re: few

hahahahah, you're cancelling because a few people were robbed. you realise that people are robbed everywhere right? especially at events like schoolies?

IronMaiden

HSC
N/A
Just go to Surfers. If you are going to party, why not do it right and go to the biggest and the best?

I mean, if you are a reject and all I guess all you can do is enjoy the lame Byron type places.

brujitachica

HSC
its really disturbing to hear about these thing from people that have gone up to byron during schoolies. me and my mates already have a house up in byron and im personaly looking forward to it! i love byron, ive been there quite a few times, once for the blues and roots festival, and i have never had any problems with the locals, or anyone stealing things.

Seeing as i cant change my plans now, what is the best advice someone can give, to have a good time, but not get stabbed, bashed, or get shit stolen?

L-esky

HSC
i live near byron and often go up there on weekends and stuff.
it is a nice place and can be really fun but the truth is you've gotta be careful there, just like anywhere else.
and also some of the locals are really horrible. they know they live in a desirable area and think that just because they live there, they're much better than everyone else and that basically everyone else should piss off. pretty much make sure that you don't make a slightly negative comment about byron while locals are in ear shot and if you do that you'll be fine.
but it is a great place and i love going up there on weekends. its really fun, some of the people are great and just a cool atmosphere and always loads of funny people from overseas.
the part of byron that annoys me most is the price of the food up there.

bennibo

HSC
taht rubbish i was in byron yeah it was expensive but i dont no what you fool are on about there was no theft all the people up there were hectic and nice just means you got roled by one of you lsoer mates.

But byron is fucken hectic love it goign back there this year

laifus

HSC
that was me that burnt down u bathroom vanity muthafuker please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)