byron bay stories :) (1 Viewer)

Wizkids

HSC
hey, just curious does anyone from previous schoolies at byron bay have any stories, :) me and my friends are heading up for 2010, on the 27th november to the fourth december, were staying at viewbay apartments- does anyone know if their any good? and we've heard all about the clubs, but any other information on them would be great. also what's the go with parties and such, :) especially beach parties, thaaaaanks :)

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
byron bay = schoolies heaven

soo many people will be partying all day, all night. it was like, constant party atmosphere but still chilled at the same time.

main beach is the biggest grouping area i guess, usually 300-700 people there from 8pm-5am, but on every street there are people running around. beach swims through the day are sick too, plus massive volleyball, beach soccer, cricket games. so many awesome bars, pubs, kebab shops. the main kebab shop in the middle of town always has like a 30 minute wait though... get there early.

beach hotel, the northern, cheeky monkeys, etc.. all good. also woolworths is constantly packed out from like 11am onwards, so if you can do your shopping really early (ie 9-10am or so)

every night there are also so many house parties going on, so it doesn't matter at all if you are 17.

also, bottle shops are packed out constantly, but they're open til late. best to go early in the day. 1 bunch of guys from my school actually just walked into the bottle shop near woolworths and picked up 2 cases of pure blonde and just walked out cos it was so packed and noone noticed hahah

because the bottle shops are always so busy, they actually arent very strict on I.D. all the bars (eg cheeky monkeys, etc) are very strict on ID (you cannot get in if your licence is expired, punched, or cracked. also expect to be asked for something else with your name on it like a bank card). pubs are also fairly stict on ID, also be very careful using fake ID at the beach hotel - when we were there, i saw bouncers cutting up IDs and throwing them straight into the bin.

that said, dont stress out too much about ID. because everywhere is so busy at nightime, normally if you have a half-decent look alike 99% of the time you will get in, because they check it so fast. also, there are PLENTY of people trying to sell fake IDs. just ask around.

ALL TAXIS cost exactly the same there as well during schoolies period! no matter if its a regular sedan, maxi-taxi, or even limo (yes there are like 3 or so limos!) - THE FARE RATE IS ALWAYS THE SAME. this is useull becase a lot of people there dont know that, so maxi taxis are always empty thus easy for you to flag down and get a ride.

(66855008 - byron bay taxi number, put it in your phone now)

a lot of the restaurants put their prices up during schoolies, so try not to eat out all time otherwise you'll waste your $ pretty quick. woolworths does not change their prices (this is part of their franchise contract) so buy your groceries there and eat at home.

beer prices are basically standard.. in the pubs its $4.50-$5.00 for a schooner of local beers, $9-10 for spirits. at the bars its usually a bit more expensive (i.e. $5-6 beers, $10 spirits). try to drink at your house before you go out to save money. also, pay attention to HAPPY HOUR times at the pubs, HAPPY HOUR always gets pretty loose at the beach hotel haha.

there are 2 places in byron that hire out push bikes. this is a SICK way to save money + time. go and get a 7 day hire as soon as you get there and you will thank yourself. also you'll get so many props from everyone, all day. (the one on lawson street hires out tandem bikes)

the surf at main beach is great, + there is a sand bar that goes way back so a lot of people can fit into the water. surfing isnt too good though becuase its hard to find a good swell that doesnt have heaps of people right in front of it, but if you head further north past main beach there are less people and still decent surf. boogieboarding is good everywhere :D.

1 last thing - be careful drinking on the streets. its banned on basically every street in the main part of town + in the park in front of main beach. everyone does it anyway, but a lot of unlucky people get busted, so keep it on the down low

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)