• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

CA careers conference (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
so who here is joining that careers thingy, going to be bothered to pay $35 for some advice which you can get for free?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Yeah I registered for it. Good opportunity for networking.

When you register you can also register a friend for free. I rang up for this though. So then it becomes $17.50 per person.

I dont think thats too bad for a whole day 8:30am - 6pm event.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the point of the function was networking... although, with everyone paying money to get in- people might be a bit more clingy and reluctant to let go of whoever's talking to them!

turtleface

HSC
I ended up going today, to get some freebies and chow and it wasn't that bad. It was actually ok, I learnt quite a bit, (though on non Accounting related stuff)

Highlights included Peter Sheehan talking and the ANZ guy who made Finance Manager in like 2 years lol. And the cool folders.

Disappointments included the lame advertisements shown throughout the start and interludes; the over emphasis on being able to work overseas (who cares!); and also the not so subtle disparaging of CPAs.

Also there was quite a big turnout...I'd say 400 or so in 2nd year, 200 in 1st year and a bit more in 3rd year. Maybe even close to 900. This was for melbourne though.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Umm... being able to work overseas is a pretty significant thing for a lot of people I'd say. Not just because of the whole "Woohoo I get to travel" aspect but also because it gives you some great experience to put under your belt, as well as exposing you to different laws/regulations which could become your specialty one day.

And... that's a LOT of people attending!

theone123

blue essence
HSC
anyone able to give some insights for the Sydney performance, which was held today?

volition

arr.
HSC
I guess it was alright. It was informational, but I just don't buy the whole 'accountants are cool too mang' approach that they seem to have with the whole skydiving/basejumping on that promo movie.

I also found that they repeated themselves very often to the point that things got a little boring at stages. I think that the 'tips' they gave us on handling interviews were too generic and common sense to really be of assistance to me.

But on the positive side, they had a good selection of firms there with their stalls to give away their information on programs offered etc.

edit: Oh yeah and the toilets in the sofitel are nice. I just had to add that.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
Yeah, what Volition said. :)

Overall, it was a good day. The MC had a really annoying voice! Peter Sheahan was pretty good, and I was suprised at the number of partners from the top firms that attended. I was expecting them to send others less important from the companies.

Good spot of some fellow BoSers.

Awh yeah, and the networking segment, right at the end of the day was a flop. There was nobody left to talk with, all of the stalls had been packed down, and to me, it just didnt seem like the right atmosphere and environment to network and meet people. I got all of my contacts and info in lunch, and around the time slots.

The "tips" that were given in the "making a connection" segment, talking about how to network and stuff, WERE SO COMMON SENSE! Hmmm, I need to make eye contact. Ok. I dont shake somebodys hand with a wet and sweaty hand. Ok.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

HSC
Yeah, toilets were definately slick.

There was a guy in there at the basins wiping up water, but I thought he was one of the guys that gets you the towels and wipes your hands and the such. So yeah, I stood there and waited. He looked at me. He looked at me weird. I grabbed paper towel. Wiped my hands. Walked out.

The lunch packs were pretty funny. I felt like it was grade 3 for me all over again. And it was funny to listen to some girls bitch about how much they "hated egg and lettuce sandwiches", when really it was chicken. I think they would have been talking about their sandwiches for around 10 minutes. I thought to myself about what an interesting and fulfilling life they must lead. I also laughed.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You'd be surprised how many people can't shake hands or communicate properly!... and, top work with the class act in the bathroom blue_chameleon.

blue_chameleon

HSC
Also, in recent weeks Deloitte has taken over BDO. Although they still had seperate stalls. Obviously, with a take-over so recent, things arent going to be changed overnight, but isnt the take-over likely to have some sort of impact on graduate intakes and vacation work at BDO?

turtleface

HSC
Isn't it just the Melbourne Office of BDO thats defected to Deloitte?

RE: conference, lol its interesting that it was pretty much the same for Sydney.

I swear whoever came up with that parachuting commercial/segment should hang their head in shame...lol

Yeah also I agree the Peter Sheehan part was good, and the networking section at the end sucked since we'd all talked already. Everyone at the Melbourne one just left.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Also, in recent weeks Deloitte has taken over BDO. Although they still had seperate stalls. Obviously, with a take-over so recent, things arent going to be changed overnight, but isnt the take-over likely to have some sort of impact on graduate intakes and vacation work at BDO?
Deloitte acquired BDO?

links?

if its true its going to be bigger than PwC LOL

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yeh, as far as I can tell it's just the Melbourne BDO office that is merging with Deloitte. Even if they have merged it will probably take some time to get the merge actually happening. The other Big4 firms will probably look at mergers in the future as well to keep up with PwC.

Hope you guys had fun at the conference!

Edit: Just google for a news article like this one: http://www.theage.com.au/text/articles/2006/07/03/1151778872163.html

Last edited:

turtleface

HSC
lol ok my post was pretty much an exact copy of Jasee's lol...

I was also about to add "just google "bdo" and "deloitte" in one phrase"

Anyway...lol

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
k3tan said:
I thought it was rather informative. Nothing much for first years :(
I know
most vacation programs r for penultimate years

thats my 4th year :eek:

turtleface

HSC
Although they say "penultimate year" I've had many people I know do Vac work before penultimate year. I think PwC is the firm thats most lax with this rule, so try applying with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)