CA vs CPA? (1 Viewer)

aditya

HSC
hey im thinking of doign cpa because it requires 1 less subject at usyd than the ca course as it allows u to do a law subject and auditing component in the actual cpa program...

but thats my only real reason, do u guys know anything grounding that has helped u make a decision from the two?

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Well if you want to work for Deloittes, Ernst and Young, Price Waterhouse Coopers or KPMG I suggest you do a CA.
These firms rarely hire CPA's.
As well the CA program actually gives you a graduate diploma and units from it can thus be counted towards an MBA in the future.
The CA is a lot harder than the CPA but if I were to do one of the two I wouldn't waste my time on a CPA as the CA is so much more acclaimed.

aditya

HSC
thank you very much for that information... yeh a guy came over my house he did the ca course he just said the same thign as u, not that i doubted it before

QuaCk

how would one actually DO the CA course?
would I just need to enrol in specific subjects and i'm qualified given that I pass?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
there are several threads in the past dealin this this issue... plz consult to those threads...

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
CA of course! The thought of having to do infs 2000 sends shivers down my spine...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
aditya said:
hey im thinking of doign cpa because it requires 1 less subject at usyd than the ca course as it allows u to do a law subject and auditing component in the actual cpa program...

but thats my only real reason, do u guys know anything grounding that has helped u make a decision from the two?
U wanted to know, well here it is
CA program
CA subjects for undergrad
CPA

Anyways, if u want to work overseas, the CPA is better, as it is more widely recognised, however in Australia the CA is considered the best

hatty

Banned
QuaCk said:
how would one actually DO the CA course?
would I just need to enrol in specific subjects and i'm qualified given that I pass?
well you firstly enrol in a CA accredited course, after you finish your degree, you will gain entry into the CA course at the institute which will take maybe a year or two.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't have to do a CA accredited course - you just need to do the required subjects at your uni

For Sydney Uni, if you complete the following subjects, you will be eligible to undertake the CA program (which is about 2 years and is usually sponsored by your employer if you're at a Big4):

ACCT1001 Accounting IA
ACCT1002 Accounting IB
ACCT2001 Financial Accounting A
ACCT3001 Financial Accounting B
ACCT2002 Management Accounting A
ACCT3002 Management Accounting B
FINC2001 Corporate Finance 1
ACCT3004 Auditing
CLAW1001 Commercial Transactions A
CLAW2001 Corporations Law
CLAW3001 Australian Taxation System

And yes, if you apply online to any Big4, they always ask "Will you be eligible to undertake the CA Program upon graduation?" or something similar.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:
You don't have to do a CA accredited course - you just need to do the required subjects at your uni

For Sydney Uni, if you complete the following subjects, you will be eligible to undertake the CA program (which is about 2 years and is usually sponsored by your employer if you're at a Big4):

ACCT1001 Accounting IA
ACCT1002 Accounting IB
ACCT2001 Financial Accounting A
ACCT3001 Financial Accounting B
ACCT2002 Management Accounting A
ACCT3002 Management Accounting B
FINC2001 Corporate Finance 1
ACCT3004 Auditing
CLAW1001 Commercial Transactions A
CLAW2001 Corporations Law
CLAW3001 Australian Taxation System

And yes, if you apply online to any Big4, they always ask "Will you be eligible to undertake the CA Program upon graduation?" or something similar.
Yeah, but dont most graduate jobs ask u to be eligable to study a CA or CPA program after graduation, and are u sure about not having to do an accredited course, cause atm my course isnt accredited by either program, however i assumed that it would be fine aslong as i do the required subjects

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Korn said:
Really, where did u hear that, cause i have never heard that before
People from the ICAA came to one of the lectures.
When quizzed on why their program is better than the CPA one of their responses was that the CA is recognised in far more overseas countries than the CPA.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Soma said:
People from the ICAA came to one of the lectures.
When quizzed on why their program is better than the CPA one of their responses was that the CA is recognised in far more overseas countries than the CPA.
Yeah, well the ICAA is the org that runs the CA program, so it might have been biased info

aditya

HSC
all i rekn is relevant is that CA is harder than CPA which is considered very easy, so im staying away from it... awway from cpa that is

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
aditya said:
all i rekn is relevant is that CA is harder than CPA which is considered very easy, so im staying away from it... awway from cpa that is
Well it depends, cause the CA requires better marks in undergrad, but less subjects, whereas the CPA requires more subjects and only about a pass or credit average in undergrad, Ill be going for both

aditya

HSC
less subjects.. u still ahve to do the subjects... and what marks are reqruied for CA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)