Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
ugh I have my first sem micro exam the morning after the info session, what should I do?
Still go. You should have most of your revision under control by then and it's not as if you'll be out until 2am.

Anyway, you might get lucky and a fire alarm will go off and your exam gets abandoned. (Seriously, I had an exam today where that happened. Of course that was the first half of the alphabet in another building and I was down the end of for the alphabet with the unlucky souls who did the finance exam without a hitch!)

Jinks

HSC
Are there any good cadetships for IB/Finance? Most of these cadetships seem like they are only for accounting
UBS seems to be the only one offering 'finance' related cadetships but I think you've missed the boat.

Might want to give Seek and your universities career page a look to see if any companies are advertising 2-3 days work a week for students (this happens fairly often but they're usually smaller companies).

lauren098765432

HSC
Did my BDO video interview last Friday... does anyone know when they reply back to you!? Would it be ok to email BDO asking if my application was considered?!

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I did my BDO video interview on the 4th of June, no reply yet either. Just give it a week or so

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Did my BDO video interview last Friday... does anyone know when they reply back to you!? Would it be ok to email BDO asking if my application was considered?!
That might come across as a bit desperate, it's better off waiting in my opinion.

Edit: There was a huge delay between the people who got told they've made it to the next stage and those who didn't after the video interviews in 2014. I know that because I waited ages for that rejection :p

Last edited:

lauren098765432

HSC
Thanks everyone! BDO was the first offer I got back... how long do they usually take to reply?

Last edited:

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
How long do they usually take to email/call you back after the video interview? Thanks for the reply Phaze!
I don't remember the exact time, but last year BDO took a while, like I lost count of how many weeks, I should have asked what the turnaround time is but I highly doubt they've "forgotten" about your application.

lauren098765432

HSC
Another question ... how many cadets do mid-tier firms generally take on board? Compared to the large amounts that the Big-4 take ... are you still interacting with people your age? Thanks!

Jinks

HSC
Another question ... how many cadets do mid-tier firms generally take on board? Compared to the large amounts that the Big-4 take ... are you still interacting with people your age? Thanks!
Really depends on the firm, the need that year, the division etc.

You'll be interacting with people your age and older on a day to day level so I wouldn't worry about this too much.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Plus firms with established programme will have people 1/2/3 years older than you as well as new grads too.
Plenty of peoples close to your age and who are or have gone through the same experiences as you are.

Even in a smaller firm, you'd probably have at least 10 people within 5 years of you.

I'm at a boutique firm and we have 5 undegrads and 4 grads doing their CA. While that's uncommon, id say it would even less common to find a firm with no other UG or even Grads!

Examine

same
HSC
I think mine takes 4+ per year, and yeah I am.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
How many people make it to the second round of UBS interviews?

clam13

HSC
N/A
I think mine takes 4+ per year, and yeah I am.
Guys i would like to mention that it doesn't matter how many they will take, it wont make it any easier to get a cadetship. focus on what u put on ur applications.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Around 4-5 (for audit) this year - Although knowing how many they take on board won't make a difference until after everything has settled and offers are out etc..then you can compare statistics, during the recruitment though your best bet is to focus on yourself and not others, if anything it will just act as a distraction.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Are there any good cadetships for IB/Finance? Most of these cadetships seem like they are only for accounting
No cadetships for finance, during university though there is a chance to find part-time work within finance firms however the work is generally more accounting in nature/reconcilations etc.. Macquarie Bank(for 2nd/3rd years though and still competitive) usually has a part-time job for credit lending, whilst not tied to IB/finance as much, definitely provides good exposure/networking opportunities.

Jinks

HSC
No cadetships for finance, during university though there is a chance to find part-time work within finance firms however the work is generally more accounting in nature/reconcilations etc.. Macquarie Bank(for 2nd/3rd years though and still competitive) usually has a part-time job for credit lending, whilst not tied to IB/finance as much, definitely provides good exposure/networking opportunities.
I'll just add to this by saying that if you don't manage to land a cadetship, don't stress! There are plenty of learning opportunities for willing students throughout your degree, above are an example of just some of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)