• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Look into recent news articles regarding business and economics, a lot of firms have the tendency to ask this just to see if you're up to date with recent events. This screwed me over for one of my video interviews, I spent the 30 seconds of prep time quickly Googling a news article, not a good idea :p
Agreed - definitely need to plan ahead for this. Even in the phone interviews, it's not uncommon for an interviewer to ask you to talk about a recent article in the media especially if you say the way you keep up to date on current events is by reading the financial review (c'mon, really?).

If you're really unlucky though, you'll have an interviewer who will really test out your knowledge of something you've said is a hobby or personal interest. I've seen this first hand before on how it can backfire especially if someone wants to bring up politics or <insert other major social debate>. At the end of the day, it's not so much about whether you are right or wrong but whether you have an awareness of what's going on, and more importantly, do you have a view.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I'd say you should be keeping up to date on financial news anyway if you're interested in Commerce - it shouldn't be a chore or anything.

It'll definitely increases your knowledge on a lot of matters and topics

exkili

HSC
Let us know how you go! :)
I think it went quite well overall! She said that my application was very well done, and I feel like I answered her questions reasonably well. Pretty much everything went as expected, and the only curveball was when she brought up the FIFA scandal but I managed to redirect it back to leadership qualities :p

Good luck to everyone else!

Jinks

HSC
I think it went quite well overall! She said that my application was very well done, and I feel like I answered her questions reasonably well. Pretty much everything went as expected, and the only curveball was when she brought up the FIFA scandal but I managed to redirect it back to leadership qualities :p

Good luck to everyone else!
Well done!

Out of interest, do you have an idea of the type of work / which divisions you might be placed in at UBS?

exkili

HSC
Well done!

Out of interest, do you have an idea of the type of work / which divisions you might be placed in at UBS?
Not really, although the interviewer did ask me whether I'd prefer a front office or back office position (although it doesn't really make much of a difference for the first year, since you're still getting to grips with how everything works)

tamanna2607

HSC
Hey firstly congratulations for your interview, just curious were the questions more individual based or behavioural type questions? :)

exkili

HSC
Hey firstly congratulations for your interview, just curious were the questions more individual based or behavioural type questions? :)
They were a mix of both! She asked me about my work ethic, how I dealt with different situations, what I got out of my past extra-curricular contributions, etc. :)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
To all the cadets, I just wanted to ask what your first week was like a the firm, about the work (its difficulty), and how often was it that you required the assistance of a senior? And also how many subjects did you do a semester at uni?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
To all the cadets, I just wanted to ask what your first week was like a the firm, about the work (its difficulty), and how often was it that you required the assistance of a senior? And also how many subjects did you do a semester at uni?
Shouldn't be too difficult- after all, you don't know anything technical yet so it'll be expected you learn everything on the job from your senior (it may be the person who was in your role a year ago, or it may be an actual senior). Usually first week or two is training of some form, and then you are out at a client.

I personally did two subjects a semester at the start but later on took on two half-load gened subjects (i.e. total 3).

Jinks

HSC
As previously mentioned the first week (occasionally 2 depending on the division) will be training so nothing too hard. Following this I found myself asking the senior a lot of questions, although I think that is to be expected and necessary to learn.

I've been doing 2 subjects a semester since I started the cadetship, think I could manage 3 fairly easily but there is no real need.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
But wouldn't doing 3 subjects a semester allow you to finish your degree faster and start working earlier?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But wouldn't doing 3 subjects a semester allow you to finish your degree faster and start working earlier?
Yes it would - not every firm will have capacity for you to start earlier since they have probably planned their resourcing/intake based on normal timelines (you'll want to discuss this with HR) and you may end up financially worse (e.g. you may miss out on a semester of study grant; but this might be offset by salary?).

... and then of course it all assumes you don't fail and end up taking longer or wasting resources (e.g. study grant/textbook allowances).

Jinks

HSC
It would also mean you basically miss out on your final year of uni which I am looking forward to, combined with some travel!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
It would also mean you basically miss out on your final year of uni which I am looking forward to, combined with some travel!
Again check with your firm's HR. I know some people who missed out on study/textbook allowances because they weren't actually attending uni.

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
First week as a Junior in Bankruptcy at my last job was pretty hectic because I was thrown into the deep end. I had a full ledger of individual files which I was responsible for and had to get my head wrapped around the whole concept of "conducting investigations" and putting together files and what not. I asked questions to no end, that's how you learn and my boss appreciated me more for it.

I don't know if I qualify to give my two cents because I'm not straight out of high school or new to the industry... Now since I've moved into the Corporate side of Insolvency I ask questions all the time about my work. Generally, I do a lot of my own research though. I've got an Insolvency textbook which essentially covers most things, a copy of the Corporations Act and Bankruptcy Act at the ready.

Next semester I'm working 4 days a week and doing three subjects which I've managed to fit into one day.
This semester I only did one.

vididid

HSC
hey guys, just wondering when and how to apply for the PWC cadetship/ traineeship as I am currently in my 1st year of university and am doing the EY tests tonight, any help would be greatly appreciated :)))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)