Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winterseason

HSC
N/A
If they ask "Have you applied for other accounting cadetships?" What is the best way to answer this question?

Jinks

HSC
If they ask "Have you applied for other accounting cadetships?" What is the best way to answer this question?
Be honest, basically every applicant who is interested in a cadetship will have applied to multiple firms to give themselves the best possible chance of securing the opportunity. Then make sure you explain what specifically attracts you to that firm / what you feel distinguishes that firm from others (be general, don't name names - this isn't going to win you any favours).

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Be honest, basically every applicant who is interested in a cadetship will have applied to multiple firms to give themselves the best possible chance of securing the opportunity. Then make sure you explain what specifically attracts you to that firm / what you feel distinguishes that firm from others (be general, don't name names - this isn't going to win you any favours).
This. No point lying about it. But don't use it as an opportunity to brag because whilst on one hand it may make them feel compelled to hasten their pace if they want you, by the same token, they might be realistic and think there's no point wasting a 1st round offer on someone who isn't likely to accept. Be honest on your intentions and views and where you stand in your decision.

lauren098765432

HSC
This goes out to anyone who is a current/ex cadet that is willing to answer a few questions that I have! I have a few queries that I need to get cleared... will direct message you.

Winterseason

HSC
N/A
This. No point lying about it. But don't use it as an opportunity to brag because whilst on one hand it may make them feel compelled to hasten their pace if they want you, by the same token, they might be realistic and think there's no point wasting a 1st round offer on someone who isn't likely to accept. Be honest on your intentions and views and where you stand in your decision.
Thank you Jinks and Seremify007 for the input.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
This goes out to anyone who is a current/ex cadet that is willing to answer a few questions that I have! I have a few queries that I need to get cleared... will direct message you.
Anything which you can post here? I find most questions are not so sensitive/specific that they can't be asked in an open forum which is relatively anonymous already.

lauren098765432

HSC
Anything which you can post here? I find most questions are not so sensitive/specific that they can't be asked in an open forum which is relatively anonymous already.
Do you have to stay in the cadetship for the whole length of your degree, or would you be able to stay for one year and then leave if you realised you didn't enjoy it?

Would a cadetship also lead you into other fields like management consulting?

Thanks!

mal-jr

HSC
Just wondering if anyone has heard back from EY after the aptitude test?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have to stay in the cadetship for the whole length of your degree, or would you be able to stay for one year and then leave if you realised you didn't enjoy it?

Thanks!
Cadetship are essentially a normal job, but they are targeted at students with no experience.
You can leave at any time, but if you have costs paid by your employer (ie. Textbooks or fees), you'd be expected to repay that.

I left my position after 6 months because I didn't like it. Got a good job elsewhere. They're trying to invest in their buisnesses future, but there is no point dragging out the inevitably if its not form you.

Of the 13 I started with, only 3 remain with that firm. None have graduated yet either. It's obviously disappointing for the firm, but that's just how things are. There are always more people willing to come in and learn.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
As mentioned above by ilikecats, it's a normal job so you can leave anytime. It's in your best interest to give it a fair shot and at least from what I've seen, most people will stick it out for the two years as it's good experience on the CV... but if you can definitely see it's not something you're interested in, make sure you have that discussion with your coach/counsellor/mentor to see if there's anything which can be done about it before you throw in the towel. Also you will probably be expected to repay some or all of any grants/allowances they've paid given that they are usually on the assumption you stay with the firm.

Thanks!
There are always opportunities internally and externally (e.g. most firms have either a consulting or business advisory type practice) but it's by no means automatic or by default. The expectation is that you will continue growing in your current line of service/business (e.g. auditing, tax, etc). Later on though, you can apply for internal transfers where they will consider your staff performance and feedback received along the way. Similarly you could apply for a job elsewhere and they'd take into account your experience which could be the differentiation point. But again I must emphasise that this requires you to proactively do something if it's what you want to do- it's not the default/automatic option.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC

Thanks!
The contract you sign doesn't restrict you from leaving any time you want to, I have seen people leave in the first month of their employment (not cadet level but same thing) whilst rare and doesn't particularly leave much respect to the employer, it does happen. I also know people who do leverage off their cadetship experience to move somewhere else and it's not that rare to see someone make the move. However this isn't the kind of job you can just cruise through to get experience, you should genuinely be interested in the field, otherwise you'll find it hard to justify to yourself why you have to stay back on the job when required and generally you'll just find it unpleasing to work everyday.

In terms of a cadetship leading into management consulting -indirectly it does help with the skills you use everyday (particularly audit - or advisory if available) however you'll be hard pressed to get a significant advantage over someone else who doesn't have it, where usually they will have done similar jobs or ECs tailored towards skills needed in Management consulting (and MC is a pretty competitive to get into even at big4 level). My suggest is to take on a law degree/eng/maths or some kind of double degree for MC as a single degree just doesn't cut it these days where people amass ECs and work experience for competitve fields such as these.

Overall I would question if you actually want to get a cadetship for it's potential in the field rather then outside of it(unless its advisory).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)