???!!!???!!!cadetship/traineeship/apprentice what's the difference??!!!???!!! (1 Viewer)

Ova The hILLS

HSC
I was wondering what is the difference between a cadetship and new apprentice and traineeships?
i've heard about them a lot of times but i don't get whats the actual differnce between these?

any explaination would be much appreciated!
thanks!!!

¬_¬

HSC
There's a lot of talk about this over on the Commerce/Business board (http://community.boredofstudies.org/forumdisplay.php?f=462) but in short;

Cadetship (on BoS at least) usually refers to a program whereby an accounting firm will offer a full time position to a HSC-leaver (or uni student) whereby they will work full time for 2 years (doesn't have to be in one block) whilst studying part time (ie. at night)- and then they will study full time for 2 years and receive a grant from the firm so they do not need to find another job. After this they will have completed their degree, and be elegible for post-graduate training (such as the Chartered Accountant- also known as Professional Year) because they have work experience and a degree. In short, the point of this program is to speed up the time it takes for someone to get their CA. The people also get paid a full time salary, plus benefits and so on, as well as their text books and miscellaneous costs for uni (apart from HECS) paid for- however this varies between firms.

... the other cadetship is an army cadetship, but I'm not really sure how that works.

Apprenticeship is pretty much where you work and learn a trade whilst receiving little pay; but in exchange you get first-hand experience which compliments studies usually undertaken at TAFE. This is common in industries such as building and electrician-work (I don't know what the 'general term' for that is?). I also believe the govt. helps fund apprenticeships- but I'm not exactly sure how this works.

Traineeship is a loosely used term and can apply to an Accounting cadet (after all, the people are 'trainees' even though they are full time employees) or they could be beginners in a trade such as hospitality or services. Usually this refers to a part time job (but it can refer to full time too) where the main point of the job is that the person gets to learn about how things work- and usually receives a very low remuneration for this. However the work experience is invaluable later on.

... btw I could be wrong about all this- this is just what I know based on what I've heard from careers advisor and reading various websites. Can anyone clarify the traineeship and apprentice?

kylie_robbo

Traineeships tend to be for 12 months fulltime (or equiv. part time... usually fulltime though) and are usually for "office" or "indoor" jobs.

Apprenticeships tend to be for a longer term (3-4 years fulltime... the pay goes up each year though) and are usually for something to do with the construction industry/a trade (electrician, builder, carpenter, welder, plumber, plasterer, brickie...)

kylie_robbo

I think a cadetship is more of a after uni give you experience following someone else around before giving you responsibility type thing, but I'm not sure...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Cadetship is where you work full time and study part time for 2 years, and then you finish your degree normally (so it extends your degree by 1 year)... you have a full time job, receive full time salary, etc...

Maybe consider checking out: http://www.flyhigher.com/Home/Content1.aspx?PageID=CadetshipsHS

Btw I just realised that the EDIT button has become... cool!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)