Cadetshipp (3 Viewers)

Dylanamali

HSC
ah okay, all the best with it :)

My brother actually had the exact same offers - got into PWC and KPMG, didn't end up getting EY.
But yeah he ended up choosing PWC - and actually came from the same school as you, but this was a while back.

Manroop

HSC
btw when did your bro graduate dylan, cos i went to girra as well, might have heard of him

Dylanamali

HSC
ah he graduated in 2007 - he was school captain, Brandon Amali.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
Cadetships generally wont take a 5 yr double but they do let 4 yr ComLibSt/ComInt so theyd prob let you do comm/ec at UNSW

HSC
N/A
my brother got a cadetship with a mid tier firm in the city and is doing a business degree at UTS... he lovesss his cadetship heaps, he gets hands on experience and his work is heaps great :) he goes to uni 2 days a week and works 3 days a week, he actually enjoys working more than uni lol :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
my brother got a cadetship with a mid tier firm in the city and is doing a business degree at UTS... he lovesss his cadetship heaps, he gets hands on experience and his work is heaps great :) he goes to uni 2 days a week and works 3 days a week, he actually enjoys working more than uni lol :p
I did as well. Something about doing something in practice makes it a lot more enjoyable than learning about it.

There's plenty of tips/advice/questions on cadetships and their general experiences in the existing thread > http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=258521

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
friend of mine got a cadetship, or something like that i believe

she gets up to 85/hr right now

SO SO JELLY

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
$85/hour is like ~170k/year (guesstimate without doing the calculation). Are you sure you've got the correct figure? lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
$85/hour is like ~170k/year (guesstimate without doing the calculation). Are you sure you've got the correct figure? lol
Well, from what she gave me, it's $85/hour only when she's doing tax returns or something. When she's at the office or whatever it is, I assume it's much lower. That's why I said "up to" 85.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Maybe that's her charge out rate (i.e what the clients are paying the firm for her work).

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maybe that's her charge out rate (i.e what the clients are paying the firm for her work).
Yes, that is her charge out rate. Just re-read the text: "85 is my charge out rate"

still. i'm totes jelly. TJ, AZURE. (frigging) TJ.

twistedrebel

HSC
lol you dont get 85/hr thats what the firm gets. You get more like 15/hr. Seriously if you look at pay only, cadetship pay is not that great (30-33k a year for fulltime work). but the experience and long term $$$

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
friend of mine got a cadetship, or something like that i believe

she gets up to 85/hr right now

SO SO JELLY
I'm wiling to bet that's charge-out rate which is what is used to calculate how much to budget/bill clients as opposed to how much she gets paid. Even if it's $85/hour, recovery may differ (e.g. firm promises to do a job which takes 2 hours for $170; but it takes her 2 and a half hours instead. Firm still only gets $170 so that means recovery has fallen and the 'true' hourly income would be lower).

I'll put things in perspective, my charge out rate is much more than $500 an hour and I don't even get 10% of that in my take home pay- and I'm CA qualified.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'm wiling to bet that's charge-out rate which is what is used to calculate how much to budget/bill clients as opposed to how much she gets paid. Even if it's $85/hour, recovery may differ (e.g. firm promises to do a job which takes 2 hours for $170; but it takes her 2 and a half hours instead. Firm still only gets $170 so that means recovery has fallen and the 'true' hourly income would be lower).

I'll put things in perspective, my charge out rate is much more than $500 an hour and I don't even get 10% of that in my take home pay- and I'm CA qualified.
wait what, so you dont get your entire charge out rate? that's a bit... misleading then.

ah well, my bad.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
wait what, so you dont get your entire charge out rate? that's a bit... misleading then.

ah well, my bad.
It's good for boosting the ego though. When I was a trainee I was nearly $300 an hour and that was pretty wow, but once you become experienced and do the budgeting/WIP analysis you realise that charge out rate is a rather arbitrary thing and not really reflective of how much you get paid (at all).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)