Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaczaczac

HSC
And if the interviewer is pretty high up, I wouldn't know anyway right? :L
Would there be any difference in how to approach an interview with a senior member vs a more junior member?

And I guess this first interview is just with the cadetship company not actually UBS, so they probably wouldn't know extreme amounts about the innerworkings of the company itself anyway?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
And if the interviewer is pretty high up, I wouldn't know anyway right? :L
Would there be any difference in how to approach an interview with a senior member vs a more junior member?
They'll probably introduce themselves and if their title starts with a C rather than a P then you'll know (if it's for an accounting firm role rather than UBS).

And, I think the biggest difference would be the way they conduct themselves or ask questions. The senior people may be more willing to deviate from a stock standard interview script to see if they think you'll fit in I guess.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
So a guy from Deloitte spoke in my lecture this morning. Some fun facts for you all:

-there newest partner is aged 25
- around 20000 graduates applied for positions last year, (not sure if just NSW or Australia, but its still lots!!).there was around 300 jobs Sydney and 30 at parramatta. Of that around 80% were people who did summer programs.

- a women once said she spoke 'effluent' English. Check your spelling and grammar guys, check it good.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
So a guy from Deloitte spoke in my lecture this morning. Some fun facts for you all:

-there newest partner is aged 25
- around 20000 graduates applied for positions last year, (not sure if just NSW or Australia, but its still lots!!).there was around 300 jobs Sydney and 30 at parramatta. Of that around 80% were people who did summer programs.

- a women once said she spoke 'effluent' English. Check your spelling and grammar guys, check it good.
That is boss (pun intended)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I must admit, I was a little shocked he was so young. Division and work experience wasn't mentioned, but to be a partner at 25 is an exceptional achievement!

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
What is necessary in a cover letter?
So confused @.@

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Cover letters are a little bit of a weaker area from me. Personally, I'm for them (i know some people think their outdated) as they add a little more effort and dedication to your application.

Basically, a cover letter is you stating why you want that job. Why do you want to work with xyz company, what can you bring to that position and why.

So say I was applying for Deloitte.

I'd say stuff about how Deloitte interested me because of the opportunities. Being such a big force in accounting means I'll have exposure to a range of accounting fields and resources. As a student, this is invaluable to me because I'm beginning my career as an accountant, so I'll have the greatest opportunity to learn in their environment. I would go on to list some of my strengths (willingness to learn, passion for this field, desire to work in a business that offers so many opportunities.), and a brief history of study and work (Ie. Now I've completed my studies, and have worked in tax for the last xyz years, I feel now is the opportunity to move into a firm with greater opportunity for growth and development) Lastly, I'd thank them for the opportunity, and say something like "Should you have any questions or wish to discuss my application, please do not hesitate to call/email me etc"

Of course, you'd right that more professionally and proper and whatnot.

I hope that helps :p

Last edited:

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Thanks that helps alot :) :drink:
Is having a cover letter in dot-point better or is it better to have a slab of text?

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
what. i thought the smiley was a smiley... not a smiley drinking -.-

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
what. i thought the smiley was a smiley... not a smiley drinking -.-
Sureeeeeeeee :p

what's the desired atar for most accounting cadetships?
I guess 80 + would be fine, it really isn't based solely on academics though. Someone on here got in the 70's and still managed to get a cadetship at a mid tier firm. Shows that they really do want an all rounded person.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Really just need to be good enough to get into the required courses at uni which enable you to work/study at the same time (i.e. part time study) and are CA eligible.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I heard you can work full-time and study full-time at the same time (I think you posted somewhere seremify that you did that for the last year, correct me if I'm wrong). Do you just have to show your manager that you can handle the workload? And it would still be 4 days work then, so the other day would be a full day of classes I'm assuming.

boat460

65 WAM Prop Trader
HSC
Is having a cover letter in dot-point better or is it better to have a slab of text? >.<

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I heard you can work full-time and study full-time at the same time (I think you posted somewhere seremify that you did that for the last year, correct me if I'm wrong). Do you just have to show your manager that you can handle the workload? And it would still be 4 days work then, so the other day would be a full day of classes I'm assuming.
My situation was special as I negotiated a unique arrangement with the firm when I went back to full time uni. To be more precise, I was working 40 hours a week on a casual contract whilst doing full time uni. It wasn't part of a cadetship.

That being said in general, at no point are you forced to prove you can handle doing more subjects than you need to- it's a choice which you make. You may miss out on other benefits though (e.g. you only get X number of days of leave per subject up to a maximum of X number of days per semester- this sort of clause would essentially mean you miss out by doing more). I personally wouldn't recommend overloading too much though.

Is having a cover letter in dot-point better or is it better to have a slab of text? >.<
I don't think it matters that much to be honest. If you have so much content in your cover letter you need to use dot points, then I think you're missing the point of a cover letter.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Sureeeeeeeee :p

I guess 80 + would be fine, it really isn't based solely on academics though. Someone on here got in the 70's and still managed to get a cadetship at a mid tier firm. Shows that they really do want an all rounded person.
That was me! :D
I had a 72 atar or something, and still got a few mid-tier interviews and offers. Considering mot of my applications were post HSC too, the only main factor seemed to be I was still able to attend a university with part time study options :)

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm so happy right now.
I got an offer for Macquarie for mid year transfers.

*super happy fun dance*

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha thank you.

It was quite unexpected; I didn't think Macquarie was doing early offers (thats what they said!) so to come into work and have a brochure and acceptance letter was a huge surprise.

Now to deal with the hassles of transferring universities!

Now I'm super glad I agreed not to work extra time during my break now :p

*keeps on dancing*

Jinks

HSC
I wouldn't dot point just keep it short no need to go over everything that's going to be in your resume anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)