Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_paki123

HSC
One last question... if i do undertake a Cadetship, how long would it take to comlplete my undergraduate degree at uni (assuming its part time)?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
One last question... if i do undertake a Cadetship, how long would it take to comlplete my undergraduate degree at uni (assuming its part time)?
IF you did 2 subjects a semester, it then takes 6 years.
However, some firms allow to to switch to full time uni/part time work after a few years. You can also do summer courses (which is 6-8 which and a subject is done) and you could also choose to do 3 subjects a semester if you felt you had time.

Basically, the LONGEST it should take is 6 years, but you will more than likely finish it faster.

Jinks

HSC
If you undertake a cadetship program you are usually required to do a 3 year undergraduate course, and with the part time study periods during the cadetship the degree would take 4 years

crazy_paki123

HSC
thanks dude. also is it worth applying for a cadetship at mid-tier accounting firm if i dont want big 4 yet and how hard is it to get into a big 4 firm for a cadetship program (beggers cant be choosers,but preferably EY)

Jinks

HSC
thanks dude. also is it worth applying for a cadetship at mid-tier accounting firm if i dont want big 4 yet and how hard is it to get into a big 4 firm for a cadetship program (beggers cant be choosers,but preferably EY)
If accounting is what you want to do then I would apply for every cadetship I could find, as you may as well get a head start on your career!
In the end it comes down to the quality of your application and the competition and how you present yourself in interviews. I myself applied at 3 of the big 4's and received 2 offers, all I can suggest is prepare and be yourself at interviews and assessment centres because your suitability to the firm is just as important as academic results and previous experience. Good luck :)

Last edited:

crazy_paki123

HSC
will my HSC results affect me because u didnt really do that good (only b5's in Business and Eco, early b6 in Maths) or will they look into my uni performance more? And if they do look at my HSC have my chances evapourated?

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
will my HSC results affect me because u didnt really do that good (only b5's in Business and Eco, early b6 in Maths) or will they look into my uni performance more? And if they do look at my HSC have my chances evapourated?
Mate they aren't bad HSC results, they're quite good.
My HSC results were rather poor, but they also looked at my school reports (ie, was I a consistent hard worker), and the fact that I could attend university.

If your already in uni, they'll consider those marks too. As long as your not failing you have a shot.

As long as you can show your a hard worker that always helps. Like I said, my HSC results were much much worse than yours, but I got several mid-tier offers & interviews.

Oh, and I didn't do business studies, econ or 2 unit math; My subject choices didn't seem to bother them.

crazy_paki123

HSC
umm i was hoping to try to get into a big 4 company ie EY, but i wouldnt mid tier either. Sorry for not being specific, but i was asking if my HSC results were too poor for a big 4 cadetship

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
umm i was hoping to try to get into a big 4 company ie EY, but i wouldnt mid tier either. Sorry for not being specific, but i was asking if my HSC results were too poor for a big 4 cadetship
I still don't think they're bad results.
I think if anything, band 5/6's in those subjects would greatly help your chances of being called up for a Big 4 job.

The only way I could see your HSC hindering your chances with a big 4 is if your other subjects (ie. English) were substantially worse, like band 2 or 3.
Cant' really see that being the case if you achieved 5/6's in those subjects though :)

crazy_paki123

HSC
ohh... i got b4s for english (standard p.s. i HATED english) and Chem :/ but late b4s like 77

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm assuming you're talking your hsc results from a year ago- to be honest they don't provide much value to an employer since you've already gotten into uni and into the required course for CA eligibility.

crazy_paki123

HSC
yeah, 2012 HSC ... so you guys think i actually have a chance? cool... when do applications commence?

HSC
N/A
so...who wants to explain to me what a cadetship is? :p

(do you get to wear a cool hat that says "cadet" on it and serve people cups of coffee?)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
so...who wants to explain to me what a cadetship is? :p

(do you get to wear a cool hat that says "cadet" on it and serve people cups of coffee?)
In summary, refer to: http://www.charteredaccountants.com...ACC}&p={52DF6E44-7E53-420D-B2A1-9D33E90CF0C5}

And no you don't wear a cool hat. Serving cups of coffee really depends on firm/culture/etc but in my experience, it's not an expectation of a junior staff member. Heck, even I still get coffee sometimes (it's a good reason to go for a walk).

HSC
N/A
In summary, refer to: http://www.charteredaccountants.com...ACC}&p={52DF6E44-7E53-420D-B2A1-9D33E90CF0C5}

And no you don't wear a cool hat. Serving cups of coffee really depends on firm/culture/etc but in my experience, it's not an expectation of a junior staff member. Heck, even I still get coffee sometimes (it's a good reason to go for a walk).
Getting coffee sounds fun. You can swap the lids of the coffee cups so your peers have an exciting surprise every time it's your turn to get the coffee ^_^
I'm sure the lactose intolerant worker will love you when he gets a surprise cappuccino!

But on a serious note, how hard are these cadetships to get? I've been lurking the internet and there seems to be no vacancies at all. I probably should do a lot of volunteering and extra curricular things this year to fix up my resume before applying for anything though. If cadetships are for first years and high school leavers, what do second years apply for? o_O

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Getting coffee sounds fun. You can swap the lids of the coffee cups so your peers have an exciting surprise every time it's your turn to get the coffee ^_^
I'm sure the lactose intolerant worker will love you when he gets a surprise cappuccino!

But on a serious note, how hard are these cadetships to get? I've been lurking the internet and there seems to be no vacancies at all. I probably should do a lot of volunteering and extra curricular things this year to fix up my resume before applying for anything though. If cadetships are for first years and high school leavers, what do second years apply for? o_O
Second year comm students apply for vac work. Thank god my degree is 5 years =)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Second year comm students apply for vac work.
But if a first year applies for a cadetship, wouldn't it commence in second year anyway? Or would the first year apply for the vac work which then commences when they're in second year?

/confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)