Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinks

HSC
Had KPMG AC today and just received the offer at 4:44!! Once again, thank you to Paynee and everyone that helped me!
Haha it might be quicker to list the offers you didn't get ;) Well done again!

Glaeder

HSC
Hmm I have heard sometimes they don't contact you at all, I would advise get in touch with them next week. It says on their website that they do discuss your application with you once you reach the phone interview phase.

Btw Ellen congratz, if only you were in first year uni than you might have been able to make it a 4/4 ;). Haha but absolutely brilliant, again well deserved.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Haha if it makes a difference to everybody else, Ellen can only accept one offer, which essentially frees up spots for everybody else ;)

But congrats on another offer. You will have some tough choices to make now :p

chrislam123

HSC
Hey guys anyone got an offer to ey and are going to the lunch on Wednesday?

mapletree

HSC
i don't know which firm to choose :/ i like the people of a mid tier firm better, but PWC has the opportunity for greater career progression/networking opportunity...argh.

Glaeder

HSC
i don't know which firm to choose :/ i like the people of a mid tier firm better, but PWC has the opportunity for greater career progression/networking opportunity...argh.
Just out of curiosity which mid tier firm?

Jinks

HSC
Just remember you most likely wont be working with the specific people you met or the HR people, in saying that go with whichever you feel is better for you! Also it's not vital but consider training opportunities as well as grants and remuneration as it all adds up.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just remember you most likely wont be working with the specific people you met or the HR people, in saying that go with whichever you feel is better for you! Also it's not vital but consider training opportunities as well as grants and remuneration as it all adds up.
Depends which stage though, and typically people from the business will introduce themselves as such.

Jinks

HSC
Depends which stage though, and typically people from the business will introduce themselves as such.
Yeah agreed, some firms simply have interviews with HR whereas others have manager/partner which may be from the exact field you're trying to get into so keep that in mind mapletree!

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
What mid tier are you considering?

As somebody that has worked at a mid tier, I felt, in terms of university/study concessions I was getting just as good a deal as a Big 4 firm, and I also felt the way the cadetship progressed (1 year work full time, alternating semesters of full time work/ part time study, then part time work/full time study until you finish) was slightly better than a big 4 anyway :p

I also liked that, being a smaller company you did pretty much know everybody (even if it was briefly, but you still at least knew of them). Don't know how I would have gone in a firm with hundreds o thousands of people.

And people who say that "long term" a big 4 will be better for you aren't necessarily correct. Yes it looks wonderful on a resume, but mid-tier firms also have a strong standing in Australia. If once you've finished uni you decide you want to move up to a big 4, having those years of experience elsewhere won't hinder you in assisting that move.

And though this probably won't make any difference, I now work in a small sized firm where my pay/work flexibility etc is a lot better than my mid tier firm. So big doesn't necessarily better :p

If your still unsure, maybe consider speaking with the HR people at both firms and see if you could arrange to meet with people you'd be working with/where you might be working. In theory, they should be happy to accommodate because they want you on their side and will show you the best of both!

ellentat

HSC
Which service line is the position for? Yeah I agree, do think about the training etc. Also consider whether you prefer working full time for 2 years or you want to work throughout the 4 years. If there's a lunch for the successful applicants held for each firm, probably best to go and speak to other candidates or employees just to get a greater feel of the place because I do agree in saying that business culture is a massive influence!

maks01

HSC
Hi everyone, i just wanted to ask about the differences between audit and advisory in terms of career progression, pay and mobility (for example moving to finance after the cadetship).

Jinks

HSC
Hi everyone, i just wanted to ask about the differences between audit and advisory in terms of career progression, pay and mobility (for example moving to finance after the cadetship).
I don't know that you'll find many cadetships for advisory? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Examine

same
HSC
Even if they don't specify is there anything in particular that I should bring to an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)