Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I HAVE MY EYES SET ON RSM BIRD CAMERON NOW. It has the word bird in it. I giggle.

But dayum, I've never heard of any of these firms before. I only recognised ernst and young since i've walked past it a few times (never knew what they actually did though LOL).

I must get my hands on one of these vacancies!
Hahaha I did that the first time too.
So amused by the bird factor :lol:

Most of them have offices in the city, so you'd be surprised how many you may have walked past.

http://www.rsmi.com.au/careers/student_opportunities/events_dates_cadetship_program.html

There is a page you should keep an eye on ;)

HSC
N/A
Hahaha I did that the first time too.
So amused by the bird factor :lol:

Most of them have offices in the city, so you'd be surprised how many you may have walked past.

http://www.rsmi.com.au/careers/student_opportunities/events_dates_cadetship_program.html

There is a page you should keep an eye on ;)
EVERYONE BACK OFF. THIS FIRM IS MINE. NO ONE APPLIES BUT ME (so they have no other option, mwahahaha)

But seriously though, this firm sounds like the bomb. I MUST GET IN. I MUST.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
EVERYONE BACK OFF. THIS FIRM IS MINE. NO ONE APPLIES BUT ME (so they have no other option, mwahahaha)

But seriously though, this firm sounds like the bomb. I MUST GET IN. I MUST.

Hahah *walks away slowly*

Just keep your eyes open and look around their site and threads like these to suss out what they're after.

I hope you get it if you really want it. It really is exciting when you get an interview, let alone an offer.

*throws luck*

HSC
N/A
Hahah *walks away slowly*

Just keep your eyes open and look around their site and threads like these to suss out what they're after.

I hope you get it if you really want it. It really is exciting when you get an interview, let alone an offer.

*throws luck*
I promise i'm not (completely) crazy :p

I want to get into anything, really. But it'd be preferable if it was somewhere reputable or cool (i.e. rsm bird).

*catches luck*

Last edited:

crazy_paki123

HSC
if i get accepted into the firm's cadetship program, do i start immediately or do i wait til i start my 2nd year of uni?

Jinks

HSC
what counts as a 'top tier' firm?
Although this question has been answered well above just for future reference "top tier" is generally considered the Big 4, consisting of PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), Ernst & Young (EY), KPMG and Deloite.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
if i get accepted into the firm's cadetship program, do i start immediately or do i wait til i start my 2nd year of uni?
If you apply for a cadetship then at the start of your second year (some firms do start in Nov/Dec, but thats rather uncommon and you'd be finished for the year anyway)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you apply for a cadetship then at the start of your second year (some firms do start in Nov/Dec, but thats rather uncommon and you'd be finished for the year anyway)
That being said it can change year on year, based on firm needs and individual circumstances. Back in the day people started at the beginning of first year uni (i.e. right after finishing HSC), and then some firms moved it to July of first year, and then most firms now have it at the start of second year. That being said it can all change depending on what the firm needs and what individuals are able to negotiate on.

RishBonjour

HSC
If you still aren't a 100% sure about what field/profession you want but manage to get an internship at a decent firm and don't end up liking it, can you drop it? pursue something else?

Personally, I still don't know what I'm really into but always wanted to in an office environment in the financial sector lol.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you still aren't a 100% sure about what field/profession you want but manage to get an internship at a decent firm and don't end up liking it, can you drop it? pursue something else?
For both cadetships and internships you can drop out. Cadetships you can drop out within probation period with no penalty other than you having to repay your grant/debt that you'd already taken.

ellentat

HSC
I am aware that the CA cadetship meeting at Sydney Convention Centre is coming up in May 15th, what happens that night? and how many people usually attend it? And is anyone going to it? Also, how many applicants are there usually for the big 4 firms? Are the people who are selected from these applicants a mixture of year 12 and first year uni students? or are they considered separately from each other? Like there'll be cadetships for year 12 kids and then uni kids are a different group?

How difficult is it to obtain a cadetship? (how many people usually get selected?)

HSC
pls reply and also what about if you didnt get good school results in yr 11 and you dropped maths in yr 12?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can you get a cadetship if you didn't do work experience in yr 10?
Yes- work experience is not a prerequisite especially not at cadetship or traineeship level. That being said you will still need to prove how you're relevant and what you can bring to the table compared to the other candidates applying for the same role.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
pls reply and also what about if you didnt get good school results in yr 11 and you dropped maths in yr 12?
Well, similar to the above, academic performance and results aren't the only criteria nor is it really a requirement beyond getting into relevant courses in Uni (which do typically have a 90+ ATAR requirement). Maths is also not a prerequisite either but most Uni courses recommend it if you're going to be doing commerce or business.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I am aware that the CA cadetship meeting at Sydney Convention Centre is coming up in May 15th, what happens that night? and how many people usually attend it? And is anyone going to it? Also, how many applicants are there usually for the big 4 firms? Are the people who are selected from these applicants a mixture of year 12 and first year uni students? or are they considered separately from each other? Like there'll be cadetships for year 12 kids and then uni kids are a different group?
It's just an information evening where the different firms offering accounting cadetships send representatives to provide answers and let candidates interact with them to get a feel for each organisation. There are also info sessions and lots of freebies so its worth attending.

Remember each firm runs their own cadetship program so it's not so easy to know how many people apply or how many positions are available. It's like any other job so it is based on supply and demand in any given year, but in my experience, I don't think firms differentiate much between applicants from year 12 vs Uni but obviously at Uni level, there's a slightly different standard. I would also observe that with each year the cadetship program's become stronger and more attractive to students which also makes them more competitive to get into.

ellentat

HSC
Thanks for answering! How many students usually attend the cadetship evening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)