Cadetships 2014 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeref

Stare into my eyes.
HSC
I think the key thing to remember is the money isn't that great especially not whilst you're a cadet. Yes $35-$40k sounds like a lot but it's a full time job. You'd probably get more than that at Target or Maccas if you worked similar hours and have a lot less stress.

If someone is thinking of undertaking a cadetship, the only real reason should be for the long term career prospects either within the firm, within the industry or just as a stepping stone. Doing it for the money is probably not an optimal choice.
That leads to making more money in the future?

1. Do you even have an interest in accounting or business? If not, you won't get very far and I doubt you'll be willing to put in the effort to do well. The reality is that many cadets have to work unpaid overtime to get things done but they do so because they value the experience and opportunities it'll lead to. There are plenty of other jobs which you could do whilst studying which would be less stress, less hours and more pay (e.g. data entry, call centres, etc).
2. Good luck with 0 ECs. Read the 40 page thread again as I'm sure somewhere it's mentioned the focus is on what you've learnt and what you can bring to the role you're applying for.
3. I don't think they really differentiate between the two.
4. No there's nothing wrong. It depends what you value and what you want.
5. Closest thing would be one of the chartered accountants website newsletters but they aren't firm specific- it might tell you when events are on though. Applications tend to open/close at similar times though between firms.
1. Tbh there really isn't anything that I WANT to do.
2. So extra-curricular aren't as godly as they are conveyed to be?
3. So if I don't make it in now, I can have 1 more go next year?

esaitchkay

HSC
It's your life yes, but when you parents are accomodating you and raised you to get somewhere in life,and you just do a plain arts degree...then goodluck.
Why not? :p I can absolutely see where you're coming from.
Also, I bet that your parents want more than anything, for you to be happy, and if an arts in whatever is what will fulfil you in the longer term, why not?
You can only be mediocre at best, if you do something you don't love.

@mel, I don't think the interviewer wants to know anything deep-seated in your personal life.

Jinks

HSC
Isn't it hard and unrealistic to consistently maintain a high credit or distinction average whilst doing a full time cadetship? Aren't passes enough throughout your cadetship given that you're having about 3-4 years direct experience? As a cadet i just dont know what to aim for in my uni subjects and how much effort i should put in to uni? Will employers for graduate recruitment understand that my experience is enough despite having only pass average? Or will they cull my application?
Thanks in advance!
This is a really tough question to give a clear cut answer for. Personally I don't think its unrealistic at all, but yes it may be hard. Probably not the answer you're looking for but you should be putting in as much effort as you can handle, whilst still enjoying life and not missing out on the important stuff! I don't think experience alone is "enough" just in the same way having amazing grades isn't enough, or having a heap of extracurricular isn't enough. You need to find that balance between putting in the time and effort you need to at work and your study, whilst at the same time enjoying life.

I don't know why you would "aim" for anything less than the absolute best you can achieve (without going crazy and studying constantly of course), whether or not you have 4 years of direct experience.

koolkid59

HSC
Thanks to those who replied to my post! :) Yes I understand that we should aim for 100% so that we can put in our best effort for the assessments/exams. But what is a good minimum to maintain at uni or a good GPA to obtain whilst doing our cadetship so that we can still be employable in the future?
This is a really tough question to give a clear cut answer for. Personally I don't think its unrealistic at all, but yes it may be hard. Probably not the answer you're looking for but you should be putting in as much effort as you can handle, whilst still enjoying life and not missing out on the important stuff! I don't think experience alone is "enough" just in the same way having amazing grades isn't enough, or having a heap of extracurricular isn't enough. You need to find that balance between putting in the time and effort you need to at work and your study, whilst at the same time enjoying life.

I don't know why you would "aim" for anything less than the absolute best you can achieve (without going crazy and studying constantly of course), whether or not you have 4 years of direct experience.

Jinks

HSC
Thanks to those who replied to my post! :) Yes I understand that we should aim for 100% so that we can put in our best effort for the assessments/exams. But what is a good minimum to maintain at uni or a good GPA to obtain whilst doing our cadetship so that we can still be employable in the future?
Well as mentioned before a high credit/distinction average makes you (relatively) competitive, but my no means will guarantee a job as with anything

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That leads to making more money in the future?

1. Tbh there really isn't anything that I WANT to do.
2. So extra-curricular aren't as godly as they are conveyed to be?
3. So if I don't make it in now, I can have 1 more go next year?
I'll cut to the chase- if your heart and mind isn't set on this, don't waste your time on this. You need to genuinely want to pursue a career in business otherwise you'll end up hating uni and work (I've seen it before) and worse yet, you may ruin your professional reputation and future job prospects.

And I think you misinterpreted what I said about ECs. They're important but it's what you learn from it as opposed to how many you have.

Irateyou

HSC
Does anyone know how many people usually get chosen for EY/PWC cadetship?
What about UBS? Is it more competitive?

Glaeder

HSC
4 is the best number to go with, could be more or less depending on business needs.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Does anyone know how many people usually get chosen for EY/PWC cadetship?
What about UBS? Is it more competitive?
UBS is definitely more competitive,last year was a low single digit number. EY/PWC select alot more cadets for their program, it varies from year to year.

duckie06

HSC
are marks a really important factor in choosing future cadets?

currently i have really low marks but i still want to apply for a cadetship.

HSC
What do they look for when choosing cadets (year 12) ?
extracurricular? high school marks? leadership skills? or wat?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
are marks a really important factor in choosing future cadets?

currently i have really low marks but i still want to apply for a cadetship.
They are not the most important, but they do play a role in seeing that you are consistent, hardworking and can manage etc.. If you have "really low" marks then I suggest playing more towards your ECs or work experience/leadership. Otherwise improve those marks now and re-apply next year (it doesn't hurt to apply this year and give it a go anyway).

What do they look for when choosing cadets (year 12) ?
extracurricular? high school marks? leadership skills? or wat?
A bit of everything really, they look for well-rounded individuals, not just people who focus on marks. What counts is the skills you've learnt from all that and how you can sell those to the employer.

enoilgam

HSC
If someone is thinking of undertaking a cadetship, the only real reason should be for the long term career prospects either within the firm, within the industry or just as a stepping stone. Doing it for the money is probably not an optimal choice.
I definitely agree with this - a cadetship is really more about building a career as opposed to a wage. My sister is interested in Accounting (she is still in HS) and I'm pushing her to go for a cadetship because it can really set you up in terms of your options post-uni.

And I think you misinterpreted what I said about ECs. They're important but it's what you learn from it as opposed to how many you have.
This is very important to remember with anything you have done throughout HS - what you want to show employers is that you have gained transferable skills. On my CV as a graduate, I have my work as a labourer listed. Whilst many people would think it is irrelevant on the surface, I have been able to sell it quite well and it has actually helped me get quite a few interviews and even offers. So dont focus on volume per se, focus more on quality and marketability when it comes to your CV.

trungduong12

HSC
hey
i want to attend the cadetship evening at Luna Park on 22May
however its too late , like until 8pm
and iam living like 1.5hours far away ;(

is there any other places also hold this cadetship info ?or is there anyway i can get the info without attending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)